• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

.177 or .22

collierboy

Very Addicted
Nailed this grey over the woods this afternoon with the AA S510 U/S reg. About 40 yds away level shot, the .177 jsb entered just below
the ear, travelled through the brain and was caught under the skin on the far side. On checking the kill shot later I found the .22 pellet
just below the other it having travelled through the neck area some time ago without hitting anything vital. It was discoloured from being
there a while and not distorted, also the wound had healed over. The grey in question was in full breeding condition and prior to my shot
seemed in very good health. Just goes to show how though these creatures are. The second pic is the reason why the greys need controlling,
I snapped this little Song Thrush outside the potting shed today, two years back it would not have made it to hatching let alone fledge. The
squirrels or maggies would have found the usually conspicuous nest and killed the lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_181701415[117].jpg
    IMG_20220523_181701415[117].jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 53
  • thumbnail_IMG_20220523_152025208_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20220523_152025208_HDR.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 52
If the .22 didnt hit anything solid I'm not surprised it did little damage. In the same situation the smaller faster .177 would probably passed through I would think.
That's why shot placement on small critters is so important.
Greys are the Chuck Norris of the small rodent world. šŸ¤£

We haven't had a Thrush on the garden for a couple of years now, can't blame squirrels though it's probably the lack of food for them (or Magpies)

Weā€™ve seen mistle thrushes here for the first time since we moved here over fifteen years agoā€¦that could be something to do with reduced grey squirrel numbers. We still have the crows and jays but the sheer number of song birds and smaller birds here means that predators barely make a dent on them. We put that down to the amount of food, number of nest sites and dense cover.

Back