• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

177 power level

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Looking at another rifle, would it be capable of taking small game? completely different to my Stoeger which is big and heavy, hard to transport.

Most non FAC air rifles sold in the same country will have a similar muzzle energy as measured either in foot/pounds or Joules. The confusion sets in where it is measured in feet/second or meters/second. While a .177 pellet is initially much faster and has a flatter trajectory over a short range it has far greater deceleration and issues with accuracy at longer ranges due to deflection.

Last edited:
A good analogy is to imagine throwing a golf ball at a target on a windy day and then trying to hit the same target throwing a ping pong ball. This is a massive exaggeration of the forces/effects acting on your air gun pellets but true none-the-less

With an air rifle the limit of its hunting range is generally the range at which the individual can hit the kill Zone consistently; the flatter
Trajectory of .177 makes that easier to do for MOST people which is one of the reasons that HFT and FT is almost exclusively .177.

Having said that both my air rifles are .22 as that’s what I grew up with!

Agreed 38th, if you zero a .177 at the average HFT target range of 27.5 meters the flatter trajectory will give you 5 meters acceptable accuracy either side of that.
That doesn't necessarily mean it translates into a good hunting caliber though, a pellet should retain at least 3f/lbs of energy at point of impact to achieve a clean kill on a rabbit, squirrel or mink.

Last edited:
if the power is based on the pistol then it's only going to be producing around 4.5ft/lbs. which was all mine did in.177. unless its an fac version it's not going to be cable of taking small quarry up to 15yds.

700fps with an 8 grain lead pellet equates to 11.81 joules or 8.71 f/lbs. remember this is in France Elsenham.

Did you ever get this gun Medwayman? I've been playing with a CO2 Crosman pistol called the 2240, they do other versions with more power and a shoulder stock. One is called the 2250, I believe they also do a takedown version and detachable stock version that are capable of taking a telescopic sight.
I've been using the 2240 to clear traps, absolutely ideal for the job.

if the power is based on the pistol then it's only going to be producing around 4.5ft/lbs. which was all mine did in.177. unless its an fac version it's not going to be cable of taking small quarry up to 15yds.
I still have and use occasionally, the Webley Tempest 22 I used to use for plinking rats when tipping grain on the farm............probably 10 yards max?
If "quiet" shooting, I use a Weihrauch 22 on squirrels, rabbits and pigeons......or the shotgun when there can be no "discussion".............

I suppose I'm lucky with my land and permissions in that I rarely get accosted by anyone wanting to discuss my right to shoot there. I usually use a silencer and sub sonics to avoid disturbing people rather than to avoid unwanted attention. I'm also quite well versed in the legality of shooting vermin and ground game because it's important to know exactly where you stand in law.

No never got it as yet , money is required for that need a good week on my bets but not doing very well!!

Reactions: Bam
Back