• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

1938 chain saw

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pity it doesn't have its original handles or file but it's in great condition otherwise. 1938 made in Sheffield with the War Dept. mark.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It cuts quicker than a bow saw but it's damned hard work.

You do get your hands on some nice stuff mate:D

Are you going to source the missing file and handle?

No, I'll either just use a couple of bits of hardwood as shown in the pics or make a couple of short loops of 1" webbing to loop over my wrists like on the modern saws

I have a one in a poor state, pouch is rotten and the saw is rusted but original handles are in good nick your welcome to it if you want it

Thank you very much, yes please!
At the moment I just use it with the two wooden pegs in the picture but I've seen the original handles on others before now. I'm also not sure what is supposed to go in the small pocket in between the two handle pockets, any ideas?
If there is ever anything I can help you out with you only have to mention it Jon I'm very grateful for that.

It could well be something like that Brambling, I need to look at a few more images, unfortunately very few that I see online seem to be 100% original so it's hard to know for sure.

Back