• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

2 Martindale machetes , information required

Bygone Tools

Slightly Talkative
Hi I have recently acquired 2 Martindale machetes, we buy and sell vintage tools for a living but always try and avoid these as 1 we know nothing out them and there value and 2 we can’t sell them on eBay and are restricted on the open markets we sell at
Could somebody please shed a little light on these 2 machetes, model? Value? And possibly the best place to sell them and even if they are worth trying to sell

If the one n the left has a sheath dated 1939-45 it's probably worth between £30-£45,(I turned one down at £30 just yesterday) Without a sheath and with the issue date illegible like that maybe maybe £10-£15 if you're lucky. They can both be bought brand new under £40 inc. canvas sheath, second hand prices are usually very low but that sheath/guard on the current issue Martindale bolo is beautiful.
The Gollock is slightly shorter and has a squared off tip to the blade, more like a cleaver. Neither of these are gollocks.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they're easy to buy and quite hard to sell, I would take them off you but I've got to be tight as a ducks backside when I'm buying stuff like this.
If you ever get down to do the Malvern Wells flea market near Worcester you can sell off your sharp and pointies, give me a shout if you're coming down our way.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the information, we are based in Derbyshire so probably won’t get to Malvern this year ...we sell mainly at stream rallies through the summer months so maybe we can look at one that way for next year
Once again thank you for your time
Tracy

Welcome, I'd be interested in pictures of any old Sheffield made pruning knives, grafting knives or castrating knives if you ever get any...I'm a bit of a collector.

Back