• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

2022 Trig Point Challenge

A quick update to maintain the running order of this thread ( I'm using it to evidence the challenge ).

This weekend managed to bag :

TP 5734 Roseberry Topping

Topping.jpg

And then

TP 8952 Captain Cook's Monument

Cook monument.jpg

TP-5440 Pike Hill

A quick run out to bag another trig , a short distance but the trig is located in open moorland , path disappeared and moor was boggy and windy …. Another one ticked off
B4C38744-BD8F-40DF-AF59-45CFB823D68B.jpeg
CB8AB8A8-045B-4601-AEA3-98D2DA63390A.jpeg
391A882B-6F4F-4999-9F80-EDCD6B4609E1.jpeg
8B38F662-54E6-4CFC-902C-0E1BBF2E9439.jpeg

Another Trig point bagged yesterday during my lunch break .

TP 1697 - Brow Top

This trig is located above the Hamlet of Robin Hood's Bay with some fantastic views of the coast as far as Ravenscar . The trig has been adopted and now features some personal memorials to local people who have passed away .

This area is rich in history and the trig is co located alongside three ancient burial barrows . I was talking to the farmer and he was telling me that two have been mowed but that the third remains covered in gorse as Historic England believe it has not been excavated and may still contain historic artefacts .

The trig is located close to Skerry Hall Farm , Alan the farmer was both friendly and informative about the local history , he runs a working beef farm and Bed and Breakfast and although I haven't stayed there I would be happy to recommend them on the basis of my chat with him .

There are considerable artefacts in the museum in Whitby , all have been found locally

Brow top 1.jpg
Brow top 2.jpg
Brow top 3.jpg

Brow top 4.jpg

Brow top 5.jpg

Brow top 6.jpg

Brow top 7.jpg

Brow top 9.jpg

Brow top 10.jpg

Brow top 11.jpg

Brow top 8.jpg

Brow top 12.png

Last edited:
Managed a few Trig points over the Easter weekend …..

Yesterday marked the 80th Anniversary of the Trig Pillar .

Trig.jpg

On 18 April 1936 a group of surveyors gathered around a white concrete pillar in a field in Cold Ashby and began the retriangulation of Great Britain. That trig pillar is still standing 80 years on, along with thousands more around the country. We’re celebrating by sharing the story of the humble trig pillar, still much loved by walkers today, and giving you the chance to join our celebrations with The Trig Pillar Trail Challenge.

The shining (sometimes) white monoliths are now instantly recognised by any walker, or geography lover and have inspired many a trigbagger. They’re quintessentially British, and even made it onto Bill Bryson’s list of favourite British items in his 2015 book ‘The Road to Little Dribbling’. But what were they for? Now largely redundant, back in 1936, they formed a state-of-the-art network built to re-map Britain, dreamt up by Brigadier Martin Hotine. Responsible for the design, planning and implementation of the retriangulation, Hotine also designed the iconic trig pillar to provide a solid base for the theodolites used by the survey teams to improve the accuracy of their reading.

Some 6,500 were built, to be used for triangulation, the mathematical process that makes accurate map making possible. It works by determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline and in this case, those known points were the 6,500 trig pillars, across the country. OS surveying teams spent 26 years gathering measurements across Britain to create a highly accurate map of the country, but time and technologies have moved on enormously to the point where the traditional trig pillar is now obsolete in its original guise. They still act as a beacon for many an outdoors lover, but they no longer help shape our maps. Look out for tomorrow’s blog where we’ll share more detail on the history of the trig pillar, how they were built and used, the inner workings and much more.

Although 6,500+ trig pillars were built, hundreds have been lost to housing developments, farming, coastal erosion and other causes. The greatest source of information on trig pillars (and other Ordnance Survey surveying marks) is www.trigpointing.uk. Users on there regularly ‘bag’ trig pillars and take photos to track their condition.

While there are many trig-baggers out there, trig-bagger extraordinaire Rob Woodall completed his 13-year mission to bag all of Britain’s trig pillars last weekend in Fife. He’s bagged 6,190 trig pillars, a seriously impressive achievement. We joined his final bagging expedition and awarded him a mounted flush bracket to mark the moment. Look out for Thursday’s blog with more details on his final trig-bagging adventure.

Rob woodall.jpg

TP 6242 - Suffield

Four.jpg

Five.jpg

Six.jpg

Seven.jpg

Eight.jpg

Nine.jpg

Ten.jpg

And

TP 2392 - Coomb Hill

one.jpg

Three.jpg

two.jpg

Big day out Trig Bagging yesterday , managed four and a 10k walk to get them .

These were around RAF Fylingdales in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors .

Interesting fact from yesterday is that there are two auxiliary trigs in the area , possibly due to the proximity of the RAF base and it’s importance during the Cold War .

The auxiliary points are made of an upturned concrete pipe with a spider on top …. The two locally are both badly frost damaged .

First up

TP 7931 - Louven Howe Aux 2

A quick bag of a very unusual trig type. Parked in a lay-by and skipped through barely 100m of heather to reach it. It's a concrete pipe set on end and filled with concrete and then has had a spider affixed. The outer pipe has cracked presumably due to weathering and the pieces are at the foot of the pillar. Very interesting bag, and as it's not on OS 1:25k maps I wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for this site.

95A13401-4BD3-4DD8-BB8E-D1FAA0441646.jpeg
F6FC9962-34B1-4B8A-8962-C494020D05BA.jpeg
2B925444-D264-4973-BE56-56591B407890.jpeg

Then a not inconsiderable hike across the moor following the perimeter fence of the RAF base up to an ancient marker post high on the moor .

CBDB2248-5675-4148-B757-781ADE27FC80.jpeg
F9805AD3-01E4-42A2-8C02-4718AF2774A9.jpeg
E658622D-A36A-415F-94BD-07D587CD2E7E.jpeg
966D5BAC-0C81-4C44-8046-77B47E6BCE0E.jpeg
94BABE4C-0128-444D-83A1-FEB1576851FF.jpeg

Lilla cross sits at the high point of the moor and has played an important role in the local landscape for centuries.

A short walk from the cross lies the next trig and it’s auxiliary partner , interestingly all in line of site .
The cross marks a welcome site on the route of the Lyke Wake Walk ( more of that towards the end of May 😬).

TP 4552 - Louven Howe

DD9501A3-D56E-4512-94CE-D67F14935BD2.jpeg

3367528A-DCB5-4F55-81ED-49F4268531AF.jpeg

Close by lies

TP 7930 - Louven Howe Aux 1

Bagged at the same time as my visit to the main pillar (TP4552). Very badly damaged, with a lot of the outer casing having fallen away.

4ED000A3-574E-481F-B207-4719EC0AE463.jpeg

After a walk back to the car and a short drive I bagged the final trig of the day .

TP 4017 - Horcum

9F370CBD-D7A9-4212-94EF-2B4BD6EDE9C5.jpeg

B77E1F11-4DD5-4ADB-9C2F-736B23D92545.jpeg

7FF8CFE9-0807-40A2-8598-A3DA8C02D572.jpeg

I'm going to give it a go in May , but over a couple of days , with some wild camping thrown in .......
The start as you already know Rob is Osmotherly or if you do it in reverse the Ravenscar Hotel. Either way the ideal overnight stop is the White Lion on Blakey Ridge, I used to overnight in the field behind the pub

While I was plotting my next Trigpoints I noticed a couple locally that I had missed , managed to get one this morning whilst out on a visit to someone . Short hop around the field and picture taken from a bit of a distance as there was a water filled ditch that I couldn't jump in my work clothes. I have another planned for the weekend and then a little break .

TP1072 -Barton Rigg

Egton 2.jpg

Last edited:
I never took any notice of this before but we have one of these near here at Ashover Rock ( the Fabrick, pronounced fay brick) It's a local landmark about 3 miles from us and is a great spotting point for the area.

3840170_f75a9a7d_1024x1024.jpg

Attachments

• 3840170_f75a9a7d_1024x1024.jpg
    3840170_f75a9a7d_1024x1024.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
Was out camping at the weekend and manged to grab a trig that I have walked past a few times without noticing . I always thought that the Cairn marked the trig but its actually a hundred metres away . Any way following our camp @Bopdude and myself walked back via the trig .

Simon Howe comprises

Barrow and Stone Circle

In the middle of the Stone Circle is a large circular cairn which is visible from miles away. This is a modern addition to the site and has nothing to do with any of the historic monuments.

Originally, the Barrow had a central Round Cairn surrounded by a circle of kerbstones. The Cairn has been damaged, pilfered and eroded over time leaving just the kerbstones. Some of the stones from the original Cairn were used to build a rough stone shelter. Others were used to build a hiker’s cairn. This acted as a beacon for walkers on the Lyke Wake Walk.

The stone circle is about 18m in diameter and has a kerb of stones. These flat slabs of sandstone lean outwards and are about 0.6m high. Some of the stones are missing and a couple have fallen over next to their original position. However, fifteen are still in position. So, despite the modern-day activity and erosion, the site is still in reasonable condition.

English Heritage has funded work to protect the monument. This involved removing the shelter and rebuilding a central cairn. Also, one of the fallen stones of the nearby stone alignment was re-erected.

Round cairns are piles of stones primarily made as funerary monuments and usually date from the Bronze Age (2000-700 BC). They are nearly always found in prominent locations. They indicate that an important person is buried underneath, usually a warrior or chieftain. Often the deceased were buried with their earthly possessions in a stone-lined compartment.

Barrows

There are two Round Barrows close by Simon Howe. The nearest is 80m away to the northnortheast the furthest 140m to the northeast. Both of the barrows have low earthen mounds. The first sits close to the furthest standing stone and has a diameter of 13m and is about 0.5m high. The other mound is slightly larger and higher.

In Anglo-Saxon the word for a grave-mound was beorg and this is the origin of the modern-day word Barrow. Howe is an old Norse word for the same feature. There are more than 2,000 Howes on the North Yorkshire Moors. Many of the Howes have been excavated and pillaged by opportunists looking for valuable items.

Most of the Barrows on the North Yorkshire Moors are Round Barrows that date from the Late Neolithic Period to the Late Bronze Age. These were often used for multiple burials and often grouped together. Round Cairns date from a later period. So the two Barrows here pre-date the Barrow with the Stone Circle.

Standing Stones date from this same period and are often located close to Round Barrows. Excavations near standing stones have found flints, pottery, human bone and charcoal.

Standing Stones

The four Standing Stones that make up the alignment here are large enough to make out on the Google Maps satellite image. The four sandstone boulders are regularly spaced and run in a South-West to North-East direction. Two of the stones are still upright, one has fallen over and the other has almost fallen over. After a moorland fire in 1947, a socket was discovered between the surviving stones and the Stone Circle. This stone is missing from the site. So at one time, there would have been at least 5 stones.

TP5982 - Simon Howe

The walk up looking back towards our campsite

simonhowe2.jpg

Simon howe1.jpg

simonhowe3.jpg

simonhowe4.jpg

simonhowe5.jpg

simonhowe7.jpg

Here is a picture of the Simon Howe stone circle in situ .......

Howe circle.jpg

This sees me having completed all the trigs on my area of the moors , I have plotted out the next phase and will be beginning those in the next few weeks ......

Last edited:
Need to get back to my North Yorkshire Moors Trig Point Challenge so have planned to crack some off next weekend . I have completed most of them on the Eastern sheet of the OS map so am now moving further inland to complete those on the Western sheet .

Managed to grab one yesterday on my way out to camp .

TP 4539 Loose Howe

96EE0BEE-3F47-45AD-944C-3E343AC5757B.jpeg
70F8AE23-D7EB-464B-904D-6DF74D355EBE.jpeg
BAD61B27-BE36-45AF-9E6A-D75EE9DD410C.jpeg
553A9C11-989B-4442-89CD-7115DC3F5FFF.jpeg

This pillar sits high on Danby High Moor at 432m , it’s bleak and boggy up there and the trig has suffered some weather damage and also sunk so the bench mark and reference number is below the water .

Last edited:
Need to get back to my North Yorkshire Moors Trig Point Challenge so have planned to crack some off next weekend . I have completed most of them on the Eastern sheet of the OS map so am now moving further inland to complete those on the Western sheet .

Managed to grab one yesterday on my way out to camp .

TP 4539 Loose Howe

View attachment 118516View attachment 118517View attachment 118518View attachment 118519

This pillar sits high on Danby High Moor at 432m , it’s bleak and boggy up there and the trig has suffered some weather damage and also sunk so the bench mark and reference number is below the water .
The number of times I've been up there it was always soaking wet

Back