• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

2024 FORUM FISHING COMPETITION

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
All entries (photos!) to be uploaded to this thread please 😁👍🏻

Whoever’s picture has the most likes will win the competition 👍🏻 have at it people!!! 😁

The rules….

Fish must be caught using a rod and reel or pole or hand held/ hobo line

Any species fresh or sea

You must be a donating member of the forum to enter into the competition. This can be achieved by clicking onto your account and clicking account upgrades 👍🏻 all donations are placed straight into the upkeep of the forum.

Best of luck and TIGHT LINES 😁

Nice Job Mark. I now see your cunning plan, purposely don't come the the meet, where you were going to show me how to do fly fishing! I saw through it and will be up for this! Haha! I can cast a fly, been doing it since I was a bairn. Challenge accepted! 😆

Nice Job Mark. I now see your cunning plan, purposely don't come the the meet, where you were going to show me how to do fly fishing! I saw through it and will be up for this! Haha! I can cast a fly, been doing it since I was a bairn. Challenge accepted! 😆
How is you Double Haul and Jump Roll Paul?🤔

I'm mostly teasing Mark. ;) However, to answer your question: Double haul - no problem. Roll casts - not my best.
I have to make a confession, I qualified as a GAIA Fly Casting Instructor, Single Handed, back in October 2004, and taught Fly Casting for around ten years as a sideline to my career as a Water Bailiff. Sadly, I have not chucked fluff for around six years now, my passion for Salmon fishing died when catch and release was encouraged due to Salmon numbers dramatically collapsing over the last 35 years or so, but I have promised myself a few days at a place you will know well, Kennick, for the Rainbows to get my rusty casting back in action

This pic was on the Devon Avon around 15 years ago, second cast using a Flying C, released right away,
IMG_5492.jpeg
but I have caught many Salmon on my own flies, and absolutely loved catching Salmon on worm from the Moy in Ireland, a real skill and great angling technique taught to me by an Irish fishing legend, Robert Gillespie, a genuine fishing master.

Well, congratulations of the GAIA qualification. I more or less stopped fishing about 40 years ago because I adopted a policy of only catching what I could eat, so most coarse fishing was out. I did quite a lot of sea fishing and had some very nice fish suppers. I'm sure my fly casting technique will need a bit of brushing up before Mark takes me fishing, so he may have some work to do after all.

Attachments

• P1020447.JPG
    P1020447.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 22
Got my permit for the River Earn so it’s trout, salmon and grayling this year 😁 colder months for the grayling …
Salmo Salar on fly would definitely get my vote Mark, but the Lady of the Stream would be a winner as well. The very best of luck. 👍🤞

Salmo Salar on fly would definitely get my vote Mark, but the Lady of the Stream would be a winner as well. The very best of luck. 👍🤞

Cheers mate

Looking forward to hitting into a salmon mike , but not as much as standing in the cold trotting my float downstream for the lady of the stream… I’ve always wanted to catch one.

I caught a few on a carrier of The Test a few years ago, from memory I used a weighted nymph, they smell amazingly like Thyme, hence the name “Thymallus Thymallus” 👍

Punch way above their weight Mark, with downstream runs and the sail of a dorsal fin. I have never caught a big Grayling, but you will know it if you do.

Apparently there are a few large ones at the comrie stretch so 🤞 I hit into one

Back