• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

3 Nights in the Peak District.

Brambling

Very Addicted
Not exactly a wilderness experience, more classic holiday camping. I definitely chose the right week to go away. The weather was glorious and I had a few bits of kit to try out and a few other decisions to consider.
Firstly the campsite. Bank House Farm is situated between Buxton and Ashbourne and is a bit of a gem. Nothing fancy but well maintained the big bonus is, the bus stops outside the gates and the Manifold Inn is just opposite. Plenty of scenery and walking although as it turned out, I couldn't really be bothered and just enjoyed the weather.
I got my new Sterno Inferno dirty and I can't rate them highly enough. I reckon it's as quick as any gas stove and the Firedragon gel fuel is much better than chafing gel fuel. I used it for everything except frying, but I have an idea about that to work out.
I have now made the decision that airbeds are no longer for me. I have been giving this some consideration for a while and this trip has confirmed I need to be off the ground. I really feel the cold seeping up. I even took a thermal backed foam mat and that didn't help, so I'm ordering a compact campbed for my next outing.
So, from the top....
Home for the next few days the Pavilion in all it's glory. :D
20190514_155825.jpg

Boots off, baffies on for a short siesta

20190514_162546.jpg

Supper, sausages and mushrooms. Cooked on old faithful.
20190514_172351.jpg

After a strenuous 2 minute walk I had to have some liquid refreshment

20190514_182105.jpg

The Inferno in action. Cooking a Chilli Mac.

20190515_181350.jpg 20190515_182055.jpg

Best TV in the world.

20190514_205256.jpg

and some views.

20190515_100107.jpg 20190515_100530.jpg 20190515_131943.jpg 20190517_110046.jpg

Not many more pics, I'm afraid I forget to take photos when I'm blown away by spectacular views ad in this area, they are truly breathtaking.

Oh @Bam I'm still finding bloody feathers from your sleeping bag in the inner tent! I thought I'd got rid of them all. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Fantastic missus, glad you had a good time. I see you're still a fan of the chillimac, I fed some to Mar so thanks for the recipe/inspiration (to be fair the recipe is pretty much what it says on the tin so more the inspiration) and she liked it.

Aye, that Aldi sleeping bag spits feathers but its still a bargain, had quite a few nights out of it and probably still has enough feathers to be a 2 season bag. :lol:

You are inspiring me! As a reluctant driver, l prefer to take public transport for longer distances and always felt camping trips couldn't be done this way. l feel the need to dig out my old camping stuff and go exploring.

@Barbara I've camped on the buses (and trains) for some years now. I used to backpack, but old age now means I have trouble getting in and out a piddly tent and so the pavilion was born :lol: I like my comfort and with a bit of forward planning it's easily done.
Go on, you know you want to!:)

Looks fab , great pics , thanks for sharing 👍
What’s the chilli Mac recipe? , looks tasty .

Chilli Mac.
Box of Kraft Cheesey Pasta.
Chilli.
4 Teaspoon Creole seasoning (recipe to follow)
2 tablespoon dried onion
2 tablespoon dried mixed peppers
1/2 cup veggie mince
1/2 cup instant dried beans
OR
tin chilli or your own home made

Rehydrate chilli mix if using. follow cooking instructions for macaroni cheese adding rehydrated chilli at start of cooking, finish as per instructions. If using a tin or your own chilli, mix into cheesey pasta at end. Serves 2 - 4 depending on appetite.

Homemade Creole Seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons sweet paprika powder
  • 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
  1. Combine all the spices and store in an airtight jar until ready to use.

Thanks for that , I’ll be giving it a go ....👍

Last time me and Bramblling were out we mixed some of my dehydrated Quorn chilli with some of her packet mac cheese. It really is as simple as it sounds, macaroni cheese with chilli. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

You are inspiring me! As a reluctant driver, l prefer to take public transport for longer distances and always felt camping trips couldn't be done this way. l feel the need to dig out my old camping stuff and go exploring.

Go for it, I'm one of lifes passengers, while the missus is happy to drop me off for a night or two's camping I've also taken public transport and met guys (and girls) up the highlands who have got the train or hitched. Admittedly if you're hitching you might have to 'shake an ankle' but if you can manage your gear on a train or bus then go for it and all power to you.

It's a wonder powder Will. I use it in chilli, jambalaya, gumbo, tacos quesadillas, anything that needs a hit of 'mexican' type flavour. Don't worry too much if you haven't got onion powder, I rarely add it, even though it's in the recipe.

Back