• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

35 Dutch oven recipes.

just got myself a dutch oven today , good link
I was wondering if anyone uses the dutch oven on top of a wood burner
dutch.jpg

I read somewhere that these pots need some kind of priming/conditioning before first use.........will you be doing that.....and how?

ok this is my first try with the Dutch oven, and something I want to share
first of all I cooked it in my standard oven,

but this is a no kneed bread , the interesting thing about this recipe is that you can use ANY FLOUR to make it
most bread recipe`s need bread flour which is high in glutton's, but no kneed is not made the same way
I will not go into detail on my recipe there are loads of vids on youtube
I followed the NYC Hells bakery one , 3 cups of flour, 1 1/5 cups of water, little bit of east and a pinch of salt
and that's is it

got to be worth knowing little tricks like this

I read somewhere that these pots need some kind of priming/conditioning before first use.........will you be doing that.....and how?

yes it is call seasoning , just get it very very hot and oil it up, again lots of vids now you know what it is called lol

you can tell it is pre seasoned by the colour , very black

yes it is call seasoning , just get it very very hot and oil it up, again lots of vids now you know what it is called lol

:rofl::rofl:.....I have been edumicated :D

That bread looks lovely........would have to rip the crust off and slather it in butter :thumbsup::D
How long did it take to bake?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

yea my good wife did do that lol , and burn`t her fingers lol

it takes 30 mins to cook with the lid on, and another 20-30 with the lid off, this depends on how thick you want the crust

the only down side to this recipe is that it takes 12-18 hours to prove ,have a look at the vid on youtube

Aww bless her.....no doubt it was worth the pain :rofl:

12/18 hrs is worth the wait to end up with a nice homemade loaf!!

Good job :thumbsup:

yea but don't over look the cleaver bit about this

this can be made from any flour, plain, self rising, whole grain ect ect . and dose not need strong bread flour

The Cleaver bit??........:p:D:D

See............I am edumicating you now...........that's what this forum is all about.............helping each other :whistle::rofl::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Had a few goes at making bread....some successful others not :rofl:
Will you be roasting anything in the "Dutch Oven" over an open campfire in the future?

yes Willie I will be cooking all sorts of things in it, my main intrest is using it on the wood stove to make
stews and casseroles in the winter, and yes will be taking it camping with me
I am hoping to find some bush craft course near to where I live this coming summer . and learn a lot more
about wild foods and to learn about mushrooms

Excellent.....hope you find a course near to you....when/if you do............ keep us informed Swamp :thumbsup:
Nothing like a good stew or casserole in the winter months....with dumplings of course and especially while out camping:thumbsup:
I do envy you having a wood stove in the house.....central heating is soulless :(

Look forward to more pictures and cooking with the Dutch :thumbsup:

Back