• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

3rd year in a row

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Yet another nest of these pesky shxxs, and again have found a way into my room from the loft space.

118620864_10223447530879520_5041073847882750600_o.jpg

Nasty little buggers :(

Will you be calling in a pest controllers Med?..........or sleep downstairs instead?

Sleeping in tent in garden, trouble is the second I turn the light on in my room in they do come hole in the ceiling somewhere, got 3 this morning at least in the garden they leave me well alone especially if I have the fire going. A few years back not far from here a guy from the UK got stung on the back of his neck it swelled up so much 30 mins later he was dead!!. they do kill a few people every year over here. I have both the European and the Asian ones around here both dangerous.

Sleeping in tent in garden, trouble is the second I turn the light on in my room in they do come hole in the ceiling somewhere, got 3 this morning at least in the garden they leave me well alone especially if I have the fire going. A few years back not far from here a guy from the UK got stung on the back of his neck it swelled up so much 30 mins later he was dead!!. they do kill a few people every year over here. I have both the European and the Asian ones around here both dangerous.

Live and let live is my policy, don't annoy them and you wont get stung. What most people don't realise is that hornets and wasps are great pest controllers and destroy the nasty little bugs that can be a real problem

Live and let live is my policy, don't annoy them and you wont get stung. What most people don't realise is that hornets and wasps are great pest controllers and destroy the nasty little bugs that can be a real problem
I wont get the pest controllers in , but when they get in my room, which is pretty small, they gotta die im afraid!, the nest will die out eventually

I wont get the pest controllers in , but when they get in my room, which is pretty small, they gotta die im afraid!, the nest will die out eventually
Certainly most will die when it gets colder but a few will hibernate over the winter and the cycle will start all over again, if you have access to your roof space just chuck a hand full of moth balls in there and the hornets and any other bugs will leave

I was told that the Asian version eats the indigenous British bee. Pictures on telly of them waiting by the hives and attacking returning bees. Supposedly a real danger to the bee population. The European one is not so bad.

I was told that the Asian version eats the indigenous British bee. Pictures on telly of them waiting by the hives and attacking returning bees. Supposedly a real danger to the bee population. The European one is not so bad.
I do know that in the US complete bee hives get wiped out by wasps so I imagine that hornets would do the same thing

Am ov the same view, live and let live, the wee buggers will have an important role to play somewhere in the eco system but when there in the hoos, then itā€™s war am afraid šŸ˜

Next doors barn having the same problem!

Attachments

• P1050023_Fotor.jpg
    P1050023_Fotor.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P1050025_Fotor.jpg
    P1050025_Fotor.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 56
  • P1050026_Fotor.jpg
    P1050026_Fotor.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1050027_Fotor.jpg
    P1050027_Fotor.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 66
As a bee keeper I'm dead against wasps and hornets.... I tend to follow them back to their nest and blast the little sods with pesticide......kill them on sight....b*stards!

Back