• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

4 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
So my 3.3kg BA bag is heavy and I don't find it warm. (maybe it's old and knackered like myself)

Preferences:
  • Must be 4 season - preferably comfort down to -10C
  • Budget: up to £100(ish)
  • Should pack smaller than the bouncing bomb bag
  • Not as heavy as the aforementioned
  • Envelope style would be good
  • I'm 180cm so I expect most bags would be fine length wise
So, suggestions please?

Ta muchly :)

Have you thought about an over quilt for a lighter bag ? Its something I'm looking into, Smurf uses one and he's happy enough. A lot cheaper than a new 4 season bag too.

I use the Arctic 90, but that's too big and heavy: many speak well of the Snugpack range? Are you considering down or synthetic?

For down , I've always been interested in this small company, Sleeping Bags and their Gloworm bags? Over budget though?

Last edited:
@Bam Not sure, I really need to reduce the volume I'm carrying.

@lol Mine is an Arctic bag (made in 2010) but still need to use a quilted liner inside and an under-blanket if hammocking.
Yes, the Gloworm seem a tad out of my price range.
Down or synthetic? well, that'll be where the budget comes in. Down packs smaller and lighter but more expensive as a result I think.

Not had much experience with different sleeping bags. I used one like yours an Arctic military sleeping bag for a good few years with no issues. Now I have one of these. (Didn’t pay that price tho lol) Carinthia Defence 4 Military Army Winter 4 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag -15°C Green | eBay

I don’t have any experience with that one but I have read many a review and there trumping most sleeping bags mate. They are price’y right enough.

Sorry Paul am no much help lol no surprise really :lol:

Alpkit do a range of reasonably priced bags but you will pay a premium for a four season rating imo.

Also Vango venom range ( from £80 - £160) so maybe over budget 😕

Or a British Army issue medium bag ( a copy of the Corinthia ) can be picked up from surplus shops or eBay in your budget .

Not had much experience with different sleeping bags. I used one like yours an Arctic military sleeping bag for a good few years with no issues. Now I have one of these. (Didn’t pay that price tho lol) Carinthia Defence 4 Military Army Winter 4 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag -15°C Green | eBay

I don’t have any experience with that one but I have read many a review and there trumping most sleeping bags mate. They are price’y right enough.

Sorry Paul am no much help lol no surprise really :lol:

ive got the carinthia bag .... very warm pack,s small enough if you use the compression sack .... when i first used it i found the "snorkel" breathing hole hard to get used to but ive worked out a way of using it that suits me :thumbsup: ... i just leave the hood unzipped and wear a woolly hat :)

I was in Cotswold outdoors the other day, I want paying much attention to the sleeping bags but they did seem to have a good range of four season bags.

I swear by my arctic 90 ex military sleeping bag that I picked up on the Bay a few years ago for just over 20 quid, in t he summer I just leave the zip undone

Last edited:
I have the Alpkit Skyehigh 500

It’s a comfortable, warm bag , 👍 from me .

Another vote for the Defence 4, there are some to be had sub £100 on the bay, you mention hammocking, in my experience, even in summer you're going to need some form of a mat or underblanket, too many criteria for 1 bag me thinks ? :)

Reactions: Bam
When it comes to weight and bulk in the winter when it's freezing the nuts of a squirrel don't mind the extra bulk and weight.... I use the snugpak softie extension 5......Good down to min 20....dont want to test that...... On ebay just now for 99.99.....it cost me a lot more but well worth the extra peeing in a bottle room😁

Lots to think about. Thanks folks.

I think I need to remove the 'envelope' style requirement but my thinking around this was so that I can bend my legs at the knee to reach my feet to add/remove socks. I can barely manage this in the narrow arctic bag. Any comments on this from the Carinthia or Alpkit owners?

@1 shot willie Good find on Gumtree - A wee bit above my budget but I'll have a discussion about it and that particular one is only about 45 mins drive from me.

Back