• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

45L Rucksack Recommendations?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I bought one of these in July last year and its falling apart already

Link:
http://amzn.eu/d/3TAPDkh

So, does anyone have recommendations for a similar size pack?
I'd like:
  • A frame (if possible)
  • Non-camo colouring but preferably black or olive
  • Side pouches
  • Top pocket
  • Molle straps for adding pouches
  • < £50
Ta :)

I bought one of these in July last year and its falling apart already

Link: http://amzn.eu/d/3TAPDkh

So, does anyone have recommendations for a similar size pack?
I'd like:
  • A frame (if possible)
  • Non-camo colouring but preferably black or olive
  • Side pouches
  • Top pocket
  • Molle straps for adding pouches
  • < £50
Ta :)

You will struggle to get a half decent new pack with the above in my opinion Paul & would be better off going down the " USED " route on the usual sites.

Staying away from camo (I completely understand why though) & your options are restricted even further.

I would be looking at second-hand bags from the likes of Lowe Alpine, Berghaus, The North Face, Deuter, Early Karrimor (Before they were bought out by Sports Direct), then your looking at military packs from various armies around the world that may be similar to this one:

Austrian Army Combat Tactical 45L - 50L Backpack KAZ 03 Olive Medium rucksack | eBay

Osprey make really good packs but they still go for decent money second-hand & are likely to be out of reach. A lot of the hiking style rucksacks may have side-pockets but their capacity will be nothing like that of the more military type bags.

It's a tough ask but you may find something but I would personally avoid going down the rugged looking but suspiciously cheap road due to stitching & lack of quality issues.

You could spend £150 on lets say 3 rucksacks that may only last you 3-5 years but you could just as easily spend £100 on one that could last you a lifetime.

I would go for an ex-military SUPERGRADE or GRADE 1 rucksack myself but the chances of you getting one in plain green or black are fairly limited.

Good luck & if I see or here of anything that might tick all the boxes I will let you know ! :thumbsup:

Thanks mate,
Yes, I did mean to say 'Used' also and somewhere external to put my axe would be good too.
Quite like that Austrian one and suppose I could add side pouches but that's more cost. Budget is kind of limited shall we say!

Thanks mate,
Yes, I did mean to say 'Used' also and somewhere external to put my axe would be good too.
Quite like that Austrian one and suppose I could add side pouches but that's more cost. Budget is kind of limited shall we say!

Not sure how good these are (Check reviews online) but they do come in green & black !

Highlander Army New Forces Olive Green 44ltr Rucksack Military 5055422900877 | eBay

Highlander Pro Forces 44 Litre Military Rucksack Waterproof | eBay

Highlander Military Rucksack Army MOLLE Waterproof Forces Backpack 25-88 Litre | eBay

Watch out with the Highlander bags, the ones with a curved zip are a pain, I have the 88 and 44 and wouldn't buy another.

I’d go for an established hill walking manufacturer rather than one of the companies purporting to provide military kit.

ESSL RU 5026 oliv
45 Litres

is used by the Austrian Army.

Who has one, is very convinced.

I am using in that size the Decathlon X-Access Hunting Rucksack 50 Litres, which is very light and in my opinion strong enough, if you use it carefully, but I recommend to use it with lightweight equipment. I would not load more than 10 kg, because for me than it becomes uncomfortable.

Back