• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A bid for freedom....

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Tuesday being another Summer like day I escaped mid morning to the woods for a couple of hours. The nearby lake was extended sometime in the late 1700's and an overflow Cill was constructed to maintain the water level in the Northern section of the lake. My wanderings often take me along the old carriage track that runs alongside the Cill.
Natural Springs feed the lake beyond the old stone bridge.
DSCF6023.jpg

DSCF6022.jpg

The water cascades over the Cill, under the track and runs into the nearby Reed Bed and on to the lower lake.

Quite recently a great storm uprooted many conifers on the Estate, it also made many others unstable in the soft earth. Now the Foresters are felling and clearing those trees and replanting with Broad Leaf trees, Beech, Ash, Lime, Alder and quite a few others.
The village kids, locked out of school build their camps in the wood with the trimmed branches.
DSCF6026.jpg

Out of the wood and into the sun. A Peacock Butterfly spreads it's wings and soaks up the heat.
DSCF6028.jpg

Nearby grows the Wild Flower Bugle, once valued for soothing coughs and helping to stem blood flow from wounds.
DSCF6030.jpg

One of the Springs which feed the lake.
DSCF6034.jpg

Brew time...My Great Grandson says...Ssshh to any adult daring to speak as we approach what he knows as the Elf King's House. I thought that I had read that it was an ancient Smoke House which smoked the Venison and Wild Boar meat from these woods and fish from the lake, to feed the Great House which was once the heart of this Estate, but what do I know....
DSCF6042.jpg

For scale, my walking stick at the right of the entrance is 3 feet long.
Rear view.
DSCF6037.jpg

The Elf King leaves his table and chairs out so that we can picnic, but only if little boys behave themselves.....
DSCF6038.jpg

I have His Majesty's permission..
DSCF6039.jpg

And leave the King's table clean, ready for a Royal Banquet or possibly a kid's picnic in the greenwood..
DSCF6036.jpg

Then back across the lake to my own little home in the wood.

Stay safe folks.

Attachments

• DSCF6037.jpg
    DSCF6037.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6038.jpg
    DSCF6038.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6039.jpg
    DSCF6039.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF6036.jpg
    DSCF6036.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF6042.jpg
    DSCF6042.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6034.jpg
    DSCF6034.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6030.jpg
    DSCF6030.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF6028.jpg
    DSCF6028.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6026.jpg
    DSCF6026.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6022.jpg
    DSCF6022.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF6023.jpg
    DSCF6023.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Loved the read and pictures @saxonaxe.....pictures are lovely mate......thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
What a place to sit and have a nice quiet brew.
Old buildings and structures like the one in your picture fascinate me......how they were built and where the materials came from.....what they were used for.....and the bridge too.

Can see a couple of pictures here that deserve a spot in the forum Photo Competition :)

Cracking post mate :thumbsup:

sign0201.gif
Thank you...Glad you enjoyed it

Attachments

• sign0201.gif
    sign0201.gif
    1,011 bytes · Views: 11
A few chaps go magnet fishing on the canal. I've seen them at it once or twice on my walks, I must give them credit, any junk they 'catch' they take it with them and dispose of it. No catch and release with them!

A few chaps go magnet fishing on the canal. I've seen them at it once or twice on my walks, I must give them credit, any junk they 'catch' they take it with them and dispose of it. No catch and release with them!

Taking any rubbish away is that is pulled it out is quite important Annie.....if you get caught throwing it back in you can be done for littering/fly tipping even though you are not the one who originally threw it in.
I think the same applies to Metal Detecting on a beach.....or the likes.

Can you imagine pulling out 3 bikes or shopping trolleys......carry that lot home :rofl: :D

Back