• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A cold and windy night …..

Way to go Laurence :thumbsup:

Good luck to you and your Brother for the overnighter........hope the weather and conditions are kind to you :thumbsup:

As always...... look forward to the write up........and a few more pictures wouldn't go a miss :sneaky:........... and would give us housebound campers something to drool over.

Well.......brother and self had our walk and wildcamp by the beach......specifically up the tidal Orwell estuary on Thurs night.
The day was beautiful, but the night when we turned in was far colder than either expected, with a decent frost on the ground in the morning. I begin to understand how people get frost bite on the nose!!!
It was good to find that the (heavy) Lowe Alpine Sting rucksack was perfectly (?) comfortable for a 7km hike, loaded weighing about 18-19kgfor this codger and only a kg or two heavier than my bothers Osprey (an older codger!) with all his uber lightweight tent and stuff. I carried a chair........ :p
So what was carried?
Sting
BA med. modular bag ...kept me perfectly warm without extra clothing....a pleasant surprise!
One Tigris Smokey Hut and cheapy chinese inner mossy net (bloody hell that tent got wet with condensation even opened up!!!:eek:)
German surplus 1 man g/sheet
One Tigris Titanium "Evil Eyes" stove and trangia. That worked very well with the trangia...........
And stuff

Brother..... er, 1 man Wild Country tent
Rab 900 bag
Osprey A something bag? (65 litre?)
And other stuff...........

As 1 shot keeps demanding photos, I've gone a bit OTT............ I that that'll more than do.......bloody great day/ night out with curlews, oystercatchers, skylarks and more....

Attachments

• orwell 25.jpg
    orwell 25.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 84
  • orwell 22.jpg
    orwell 22.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 74
  • orwell 15.jpg
    orwell 15.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 70
  • orwell 12.jpg
    orwell 12.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 64
  • orwell 11.jpg
    orwell 11.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 65
  • orwell 10.jpg
    orwell 10.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68
  • orwell 9.jpg
    orwell 9.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 70
  • orwell 7.jpg
    orwell 7.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 69
  • orwell 5.jpg
    orwell 5.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 71
  • orwell 6.jpg
    orwell 6.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 76
Cracking post @lol .....looks like you and Bro had a good camp 👍
How did you get on with the Evil Eyes stove?
Thanks for the write up and the photos 🙂

Cracking post @lol .....looks like you and Bro had a good camp 👍
How did you get on with the Evil Eyes stove?
Thanks for the write up and the photos 🙂
Very pleased with the stove, especially considering the price. Haven't used it yet as a twig burner though...............
With the trangia, no deformation; not that it matters.

Attachments

• orwell 18.jpg
    orwell 18.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 71
At the risk of boring everyone to death, and as every trip for me is a learning trip, I was surprised how little things (in comparison to serious trips in serious weather) can affect one's judgement on kit etc.
For example, during the day, I was thinking what a perfect trip it would have been for the bivi, dry and breezy, so not too much condensation then?
But I had bought the One Tigris Smokey Hut, so definitely no issue there?
Also, it seemed there was no need for a mozzy inner, due to the breeze, an (it being cool, not yet bloody freezing!:rofl:)
Wrong on both counts: it was not long before in the late sun that there were loads of mozzies, so before it got dark, I hurriedly rehashed things and hung the inner. 1 issue solved.
Such was the massive temp drop that night.... a quite hard frost....that even the One Tigris with doors open and 6 "gap around the bottom, was sopping with condensation on the inside, (and frost on the outside of sorts, but being single skin, the inner warmth kept that to a minimum) and enough to drip onto the bag through the mesh netting of the mozzy inner. The weight of that very lightweight tent was almost doubled when packing up as it hadn't yet out, and despite shaking it out as best I could. I just got soaked too!.....................:rofl:

You are not boring anyone @lol ..........sharing issues and information is what the forum is all about mate :thumbsup:

On the morning of pack up I tend to wipe off the excess water from the tent with an old T towel and if conditions allow.....let the tent air while I have a brew outside in the open.
Rids the majority of the water and no need to shake the tent and get wet from doing that :thumbsup:

After you have made your brew put the stove (preferably gas or solid fuel inside the tent.....zip up the doors and melt the frost.......after you have taken your kit out of course :)
By the time you have swallowed you brew you should be good to go.

The mesh inner is your sanctuary from the bugs and mozzies.......keep that zip closed as much as you can when getting in and out.......and especially when using a light/head-torch......there is no shame in taking a small can of bug spray along.....more weight maybe.....but so worth it :thumbsup:

Reactions: lol
.......and it's true...meths /bioethanol is bloody hard to spark alight when it's freezing (won't have anything as simple as a gas lighter, pah!)
Used a piece of Hammaro paper as a lighter........

I wanted to move (1 shot) too early to wait for the tent to dry out....no worries, but the bivi in hindsight would have been a dishwaher!

Back