• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A few good books

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Might be of interest to someone but I picked these up the other month and can highly recommend them. Very well laid out and informative.
1590586734875425361126.jpg

Yes Dave, I'm a huge fan of the Collins books. I would go careful with the mushrooms book until you're absolutely sure because for every edible mushroom there are others that are similar and either unpalatable or just downright toxic.
It's also important to check the fine details, for instance cow parsley and hemlock look similar and you won't confuse the two more than once.

I'm not familiar with the first one, but it looks interesting. I have the other two, although I use a Wild Flower book of slightly bigger dimensions when I'm out and about, " A Concise Wild Flower Guide" published by New Holland for the Wild Life Trust. The superb illustrations are about 3x2 inches on a 3 1/2 x 5 inch page, and show great detail.

The fungi book...I try to identify, as best I can those Fungi which are poisonous, the rest, apart from King Alfred's Cakes for fire lighting purposes, I view with usually puzzled interest, but I never touch them and I certainly wouldn't eat any of them.

My Herbal Book was a gift from long ago and is quite precious. It is a modern translation of Nicholas Culpeper's (1616-1654) famous Treatise on the medicinal uses of wild plants. Too big to carry around, but that's what my dump pouch is for, collecting specimens to identify at home.
Interestingly as the Centuries have unfolded, more and more of Culpeper's recommendations for use and the identification of the benefits of various plants have been agreed with by modern science. Sometimes grudgingly but eventually the boffins have had to admit the old boy was correct 400+ years ago...:lol:

Back