• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A few of this years shallots

Joecole

Very Obsessed
20190806_121415.jpg

Fantastic crop Joe. What variety are they?
I'd have to look at the label annie other than the fact that they are a banana shallot I'm not sure of the variety. That lot came from just 16 sets. The growing medium is home made compost, the worn compost from pot plants, pellets chicken manure and rotted horse manure. I plant all my onion and shallot sets in late autumn

Reactions: Bam
I was a fan of planting sets in the autumn too Joe. Trouble is now I live in the Potteries, Onion leaf miner is a problem:mad: so I have to start all the alliums off in cells then transplant in May to avoid the little burgers. Have to cover Leeks to stop the second hatching in October infesting the overwintering crop.:(

I was a fan of planting sets in the autumn too Joe. Trouble is now I live in the Potteries, Onion leaf miner is a problem:mad: so I have to start all the alliums off in cells then transplant in May to avoid the little burgers. Have to cover Leeks to stop the second hatching in October infesting the overwintering crop.:(
Luckily we're pretty free from beasties like that down here, one thing you can try is to plant marigolds between the rows

Where we are carrots are notoriously hard to grow so the missus took it as a challenge, she's got some but she has had some carrot fly black marks. She's going great guns on the onions, most things to be honest, she's pushing me to dehydrate tatties.

Where we are carrots are notoriously hard to grow so the missus took it as a challenge, she's got some but she has had some carrot fly black marks. She's going great guns on the onions, most things to be honest, she's pushing me to dehydrate tatties.
Hi mate, carrots can be difficult to germinate so one little trick that works is to make a mix of wallpaper paste up ad stir in the carrot seed then sow into the drills using an ordinary piping bag. This serves a double purpose in that you get a far better distribution of seed because you'll be sowing a lot more thinly and the second thing is that the seed will stay moist and germinate a lot easier during the crucial period

Hi mate, carrots can be difficult to germinate so one little trick that works is to make a mix of wallpaper paste up ad stir in the carrot seed then sow into the drills using an ordinary piping bag. This serves a double purpose in that you get a far better distribution of seed because you'll be sowing a lot more thinly and the second thing is that the seed will stay moist and germinate a lot easier during the crucial period

Cheers Joe, message passed to the Head Gardener who seems intrigued, if I get her the paste she says she'll try it. Apart from the black rings the carrots are edible though and drawing praise from our allotment neighbours. Once we've got it fully done I'll do a 'before and after' with a few 'work in progress' phots thread. She's getting galloons of stuff so we're both delighted.

Cheers Joe, message passed to the Head Gardener who seems intrigued, if I get her the paste she says she'll try it. Apart from the black rings the carrots are edible though and drawing praise from our allotment neighbours. Once we've got it fully done I'll do a 'before and after' with a few 'work in progress' phots thread. She's getting galloons of stuff so we're both delighted.
sounds good Bam, far to much food gets thrown away because it has a minor blemish

sounds good Bam, far to much food gets thrown away because it has a minor blemish

We do throw some stuff out unfortunately but not much. My missus is a bit 'princessy' about a few things but I try and pick up the slack, we still sometimes end up ditching stuff that is well past it best but not too much. Its certainly not because its got a blemish or is knobbly or whatever, as long as it tastes good then it gets yomped. :)

We do throw some stuff out unfortunately but not much. My missus is a bit 'princessy' about a few things but I try and pick up the slack, we still sometimes end up ditching stuff that is well past it best but not too much. Its certainly not because its got a blemish or is knobbly or whatever, as long as it tastes good then it gets yomped. :)
veg like carrots, parsnips and stuff like that just go into soups and stews if they've gone a bit wrinkly

Its more when mushrooms and bananas go a bit brown, the Princess has a mental block. We do end up ditching the odd carrot or whatever but they're the ones that get lost at the back of the veg drawer in the fridge. She makes a bucket load of soup too, the last lot was a 100% allotment.

Back