• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A few tips on tents

Good link Bill :thumbsup:

Can you recommend a good product to apply to tents, like a waterproofer. I'm thinking about giving my Vango Hurricane Beta tent a coat, before winter sets in.

Hi Gary.

I think the most popular two are Febsil and Nikwax....personaly I use the Febsil.....great product......best to brush it on mate and leave to dry completely before packing away.

Also use Fenwicks tent cleaner before treatment... to get rid of grime and salts.

Cheers mate, that looks ideal :thumbsup: Just spray it on, and work it in with a sponge, i'm just abit unsure if it starts dripping and running on the tent fabric :confused:

Not a problem Gary....and dont worry...obviously the less runs the better.
But just wipe over the tent gently with an old T shirt afterward to remove/blend them in:thumbsup:
Try and do a panel at atime.....or a sq meter.

Obviously read the instructions before hand.

Last edited:
Hi Gary.

I think the most popular two are Febsil and Nikwax....personaly I use the Febsil.....great product......best to brush it on mate and leave to dry completely before packing away.

Also use Fenwicks tent cleaner before treatment... to get rid of grime and salts.
think the most popular two are Febsil and Nikwax....personaly I use the Febsil.....great product......best to brush it on mate and leave to dry completely before packing away.

Cheers Bill, i think i've seen a vid on YT i while ago, bloke proofing a tent with Fabsil, he decanted some in to a garden spray bottle, turned the nozzle on mist spray, rubbed it in with a rag. But your idea using a brush sounds easier and cheaper ;) Just use soft bristled paint brush. When i bought the tent i think it had already been reproofed with some it, water beaded up well on it, shiny greasy feel to it. It'll probs need reproofing again, just peace of mind doing it :thumbsup:

Here you go mate.

I try to use masking tape either side of the stitch lines....keeps the seam sealing neat:thumbsup:

A cheap and cheerful 4 inch brush will do mate...soft bristle yes:thumbsup:
You can buy it in spray cans or tins mate.

Not a problem Gary....and dont worry...obviously the less runs the better.
But just wipe over the tent gently with an old T shirt afterward to remove/blend them in:thumbsup:
Try and do a panel at atime.....or a sq meter.

Obviously read the instructions before hand.
C
Here you go mate.

I try to use masking tape either side of the stitch lines....keeps the seam sealing neat:thumbsup:
Cheers mate, I'll watch it when I'm on the laptop, hammers me photos battery, watching it on me phone. We get abit of dry weather, i'll put the tent on front, have ago at doing it, might video it, give yas all a laugh :rofl:

Bill, i've just watched that vid, the Vango tent i've got is from the early 90's, and i think it's PU coated. It won't do out to it when applying a waterproofer on like Fabsil?

Gary,
In the '70's to reproof P.U. nylon it was reckoned that you had to clean off all the loose waterproofing, clean the cloth (although I don't remember what with), then respray. I never used to bother, if it got too bad - it got slung. Question: Did the tent manufacturers offer this as a service and if so, do they still (even if it is subcontracted)?

Gary,
In the '70's to reproof P.U. nylon it was reckoned that you had to clean off all the loose waterproofing, clean the cloth (although I don't remember what with), then respray. I never used to bother, if it got too bad - it got slung. Question: Did the tent manufacturers offer this as a service and if so, do they still (even if it is subcontracted)?
Hi, I bought the tent on ebay secondhand, the bloke i bought it from, said he bought it off a bloke who planned to use it as a fishing tent, but it was unsuitable. When i received it, looked like it had hardly been used, almost new condition.
I'm not sure what Vango the manufacturer would of recommended to reproof it in the 90's.

Here's a couple of pic's of the tent, back in the day it was a really good bombproof tent.
CnttoQGWAAAhcn6.jpg
Cnt6TcmWIAAiRMa.jpg

The garden sprayer gives a good even spread of proofer, less waste. That Vango looks the business.

Reactions: lol
Back