• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

"A global pandemic is inevitable".

The idea that global travel may cause a pandemic is not a new one, although a very valid one. Is it not claimed that the plague was transported by Black Rats from the far east?

Interestingly enough I read recently where an airline passenger got badly bitten by bed bugs on flight! Think about that.
Keith.

The idea that global travel may cause a pandemic is not a new one, although a very valid one. Is it not claimed that the plague was transported by Black Rats from the far east?
I think it was a fleas that were ON the black rats that carried the plague.

Back to the original post, I fear that a global pandemic is possible. Flu is just one of a large number of virus that are lurking out there but it is a good example of a virus that has dangerous variants. People have almost complete freedom to travel to and may suddenly be exposed to disease which they have little or no resistance to. It's that lack of acquired immunity or suitable vaccination that means travellers put others at risk. Having shots before travelling used to be normal. Now it's not taken seriously.....with a culture of last minute deals on flights and instant gratification how could it be.

with the global fast transport systems we have these days, a disease can be on the far side of the world one day and it can be here within 24 hours, I think that was the basis of the old BBC "Survivors" series and its even truer now than it was back then.
one reason I don't travel on public transport- apart from it being nearly non existent and totally unreliable here- is
because of the chance of germs on every surface that can be touched- do you remember the old flu advert where the guy sneezes and the germs shoot down the bus? ugh! that's why. very few people seem to use a tissue much less a handkerchief these days, usually they use a sleeve or the back of their hand to wipe their nose, very unhygienic.
I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer gel when out in public and use it if I have to use a public toilet- the taps and door handles are the places where germs lurk.
I have always said in SHTF its disease that will kill far more people than violence will.

LW, stop panicking over bugs, just keep your fingers out of your mouth to stop ingesting them.

the plague happened very quickly, from catching it to dying of it was usually no more than 1 week. so not a lot of time to do much about it, not that they knew what to do about it anyway.

what for? I was told a long time ago "the info on the internet is only as good as the person that put it there".

Good point ystranc, lets wait for LW to enlighten us after he has slogged away on Google for a time.

Back