• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

"A global pandemic is inevitable".

central heated houses wouldn't help either, in the old days fleas and bugs died off when the cold weather came, these days they just move indoors.

If you have ever been in an International Airport you will understand how a pandemic can occur. First of all you have the airliner itself full of passengers. An infected person just sitting can spread the infection to those immediately around them, in front & to the sides. If they leave their seat to go to the toilet, unless they are close to the toilet they have to pass back through the rows of other passengers going to & coming back to their seat. They come in touch with the hostesses, they touch the seats & the overhead storage.
Once they reach their destination they pass into the airport itself which is usually packed with people. Remember, they have already passed through a packed airport before boarding the plane, where they came in touch with airport staff. Baggage handlers have touched their luggage at the beginning & the end of their journey. At their destination they will pass through customs, more contact with staff & more baggage handling. Finally they pass through the crowds of people probably taking a taxi. This could spread the disease to the taxi driver who in turn can spread it to other customers.
Can you imagine trying to track down this original infected person, let alone any of the other infected. By the time this becomes apparent it will be wide spread. It is generally accepted that no country could possibly handle such a pandemic. It would be devastating.

Once it has happened, every person, every shop, every supermarket, every work place will be a possible source of infection. You would be taking a risk just leaving home.
Don't think I will be travelling anywhere soon by air!!!
Keith.
http://australiansurvivalandprepper.../01/a-global-pandemic-will-happen-due-to.html

It hasn't even been cold enough to kill off the mosquitos this winter. Fleas are very hardy by comparison, they can exist in the egg well below freezing.
People are more likely to get bitten by mossies than fleas, especially in tropical areas but in summer anywhere it would be a problem.
Keith.

If you have ever been in an International Airport you will understand how a pandemic can occur. First of all you have the airliner itself full of passengers. An infected person just sitting can spread the infection to those immediately around them, in front & to the sides. If they leave their seat to go to the toilet, unless they are close to the toilet they have to pass back through the rows of other passengers going to & coming back to their seat. They come in touch with the hostesses, they touch the seats & the overhead storage.
Once they reach their destination they pass into the airport itself which is usually packed with people. Remember, they have already passed through a packed airport before boarding the plane, where they came in touch with airport staff. Baggage handlers have touched their luggage at the beginning & the end of their journey. At their destination they will pass through customs, more contact with staff & more baggage handling. Finally they pass through the crowds of people probably taking a taxi. This could spread the disease to the taxi driver who in turn can spread it to other customers.
Can you imagine trying to track down this original infected person, let alone any of the other infected. By the time this becomes apparent it will be wide spread. It is generally accepted that no country could possibly handle such a pandemic. It would be devastating.

Once it has happened, every person, every shop, every supermarket, every work place will be a possible source of infection. You would be taking a risk just leaving home.
Don't think I will be travelling anywhere soon by air!!!
Keith.
http://australiansurvivalandprepper.../01/a-global-pandemic-will-happen-due-to.html
which is why i'm staying home and going into total isolation-nobody goes out nobody comes in, as soon as there is the slightest tiniest hint of an epidemic, until its all over, another good reason for having food stocks at home!

Last edited:
I haven't travelled by air since 1977-Freddie Laker airlines- remember him? to Canada.
I don't travel on public transport because of the health risks.
if I cant go somewhere in my own vehicle I don't go there. ( I go when I want and I come back when I want- i'm not governed by timetables).

Claimed but not proven...Google is your friend.
The Bubonic form of the Plague "yersinia pestis" is carried by fleas, where the Bacteria multiply in their guts. The Pneumonic form is spread by air. Both forms were present during the "Black Death". The reports of this pestilence coming from the East have some validity as the first "contact" was the Genoese port of Kaffa on the Crimean Peninsula, part of the Goldon Horde Khanate "The Mongols". The Plague is carried by the Asian Marmot, commonly found in Mongolia and a favourite food source.

People are more likely to get bitten by mossies than fleas, especially in tropical areas but in summer anywhere it would be a problem.
Keith.
My first experience of Tropical Mossies taught me to respect these little b******s. I slept with the Window open, and woke next morning looking like a Measles victim, the bites itched like a bugger, and some of them turned "nasty" because of the constant scratching, things go bad really quickly in the tropics. I also got Stung by something sat outside at a table, that really hurt, my wrist swelled up like a popcorn.

I always net up while shooting, I use a fine green net for better visibility. Mosquito nets used to be a must have item when I lived up on the west coat near the salt marshes.
One of the nasty insects for causing infections in the uk are horseflies.

Last edited:
which is why i'm staying home and going into total isolation-nobody goes out nobody comes in, as soon as there is the slightest tiniest hint of an epidemic, until its all over, another good reason for having food stocks at home!
Agreed.
Keith.

My first experience of Tropical Mossies taught me to respect these little b******s. I slept with the Window open, and woke next morning looking like a Measles victim, the bites itched like a bugger, and some of them turned "nasty" because of the constant scratching, things go bad really quickly in the tropics. I also got Stung by something sat outside at a table, that really hurt, my wrist swelled up like a popcorn.
Yes, I got malaria whilst in the Top End, but it has not recurred since living here in New England. Unfortunately due to global warming, some of the nasties in the North are now moving further South as the climate warms. This includes snakes, cane toads & mossies. Also I note more reports of sharks & crocs along the coast. I don't think the majority of people fully realise just how much global warming is going to effect our lives.
Keith.

The problem is that many viral infections have an incubation period during which they are undetected while also being infectious. They've infected you before you know that they've arrived in your area.
It's not just a case of keeping your hands away from your mouth. You also need to protect your eyes, nose and ears, anyone coughing or sneezing projects tiny particles of fluid that can be absorbed through any of these channels (and a couple more I won't mention)
Avoiding doctors surgeries hospitals and dispensing chemists during an outbreak is a good idea if at all possible; they're full of sick people who are bad for your health.

We get Weaver Fish alerts around here, nasty little sods they are. I got stung years ago while Shrimping and have never forgot the pain.

We get Weaver Fish alerts around here, nasty little sods they are. I got stung years ago while Shrimping and have never forgot the pain.
Struth! Never heard of weaver fish! I don't think we have anything like that here in fresh water. Is it a native Kublai?
Keith.

I've only ever seen one, it was just off the rocks at Penmon point
They're horrible mate, where we are they come inshore during Summer, following the Shrimp. They come close enough to be in knee deep water. A few people get stung every year. I've caught a few while Shrimping, which is how I got done:mad: I only got hit with one spine as well, they have three!!! God knows what a full hit would be like.

I understood that the real problem now isn't the fleas/rats but pneumonic spread of disease. One cough into your hand, it touches everything and there you go. Mini hand sanitizers are good and if someone gets sick, bleach to wipe everything they touch. About 10 years ago there was a big flu scare in the uk and headteachers were advised how to minimize the risk. Children are the biggest spreaders of disease.

Back