• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A good alternative to or used with plasters for blisters.

Big G

Very Addicted
Anyone got any good alternatives to use with or without plasters, for blisters on the feet when hiking.

I learned the hard way on me and Al's last wildcamping trip. I only wore 1 pair of socks, with it been a hot day. I normally wear 2 pair's and have had no problems with sore feet or blisters. But took no spares with me :( They were a decent pair of 1000 mile liner socks, but i still got a nasty blister on my left heel, which has just healed up. I felt a bit of discomfort on our hike out, My heal must of been rubbing on the inside of my boot, on the incline up the hill.

Any good recommendation's on stuff i can use in the field, to patch myself up :thumbsup:

The only thing that springs to mind that can be used from nature in the bush for cuts and wound dressings and would also work to pad boots if you've got blisters is moss. And wild garlic as a wound cleaner/cleanser.

Personally I pack electrical tape to cover dressings on cuts etc.

The only thing that springs to mind that can be used from nature in the bush for cuts and wound dressings and would also work to pad boots if you've got blisters is moss. And wild garlic as a wound cleaner/cleanser.

Personally I pack electrical tape to cover dressings on cuts etc.
Cheers mate, i was thinking more of a product you can buy in a shop or online, take as part of your FAK, to patch up in the field.

I've tried different plasters at home, every time i wear me boots or trainers, the plasters don't stay stuck, i was thinking is there product, what will stay stuck over the blister, when on say a weekend hiking camping trips.

Am not sure about products big G but take a safety pin with you and when the blister appears start about 10mm away from it and pierce the skin ever so slightly and push towards the blister making a channel for the water in the blister to drain from....this helps to take the pain away from walking and still protecting the raw skin underneath.

A don't want you to think am trying to teach you to suck eggs:rofl:. But check you don't need a smaller size in your boots/shoes...prevention is better than perseverance. Or harden your feet up.

A promise am not a know it all:rofl::rofl: a have just been through all that:rofl:

Am not sure about products big G but take a safety pin with you and when the blister appears start about 10mm away from it and pierce the skin ever so slightly and push towards the blister making a channel for the water in the blister to drain from....this helps to take the pain away from walking and still protecting the raw skin underneath.

A don't want you to think am trying to teach you to suck eggs:rofl:. But check you don't need a smaller size in your boots/shoes...prevention is better than perseverance. Or harden your feet up.

A promise am not a know it all:rofl::rofl: a have just been through all that:rofl:
No mate that's good advice for when a blister appears :thumbsup: I don't think its my boots, i normally wear 2 pairs of socks, a thinnish liner pair plus a thick merino wool pair, i've had no problems with blisters, but with it been a hot day, i thought my feet would sweat wearing 2 pair. When i got home and checked my foot, i couldn't believe the size of the blister, 50p size :eek: i had to pull that size chunk of skin off, it was just to say attached. I'm thinking plaster then gaffa tape over the top so it stays stuck. Been checking remedy's on the net, good old gaffa tape keeps popping up ;)

Cheers mate, i was thinking more of a product you can buy in a shop or online, take as part of your FAK, to patch up in the field.

I've tried different plasters at home, every time i wear me boots or trainers, the plasters don't stay stuck, i was thinking is there product, what will stay stuck over the blister, when on say a weekend hiking camping trips.

One word IODINE (surgical scrub) always pack surgical grade iodine, its available on line.

I tend not to pack bandages as such but I do keep 2 small ones for very minor matters for the kids, for dealing with major cuts and burns I pack sanatory towles, they can be used whole for a thick large dressing or cut up for multiple uses like small dressings and plasters they pack down smaller than bandages and they now come individually wrapped and I would say they are pretty much sterile, and I've found the bandage part of the 'bandage dressing' is pretty useless and the dressing you get with bandage is usually small and thin, it's no good having 3ft of bandage but only a very thin 2 inch dressing so for a dressing I use sanitary towels and for bandage and to keep the dressing in place I use electrical tape, I've been out in the bush and survived with this combination for days, the key with my option is that you can change the sanitary towel and tape dressing as often as you like as you will have plenty of both to be able to do so (and its totally waterproof) thus preventing infection but if you've only got one or two bandages in your kit you will tend to keep them on the wound longer than you should as you only have 2 or so in your kit and in doing so you risk infection plus you will be continuously trying to keep the 3 foot of bandage wrapped around the dressing and fiddling with it hence getting it and the wound dirty, the safety pins included won't help you keep such a dressing in place lol that set up might be fine if your in the office all day but not in the bush ;) gorilla tape works good to keep a wound closed and clean prior to stitching. Once a serious cut has clotted discard the blood soaked dressing, fully clean and dry sourounding skin and tape up with gorilla tape and leave it alone for stitching, if it won't clot (stop bleeding) pack it well and tape it up tight and leave it! if you don't have or don't want to pack sutures you can use any fishing hook (smallest you have is better) and fishing line in an emergency, sterilise both, your hands and wound in iodine or alcohol if youve got it, if you have either use boiling water or worst way salt water prior to stitching, do one stitch at a time working from the middle of the cut to the edges one stitch at at time to each side of the first middle one. Alternatively hope I'm with you :rofl:

One word IODINE (surgical scrub) always pack surgical grade iodine, its available on line.

I tend not to pack bandages as such but I do keep 2 small ones for very minor matters for the kids, for dealing with major cuts and burns I pack sanatory towles, they can be used whole for a thick large dressing or cut up for multiple uses like small dressings and plasters they pack down smaller than bandages they now come individually wrapped and I would say they are pretty much sterile, and I've found the bandage part of the 'bandage dressing' is pretty useless and the dressing you get with bandage is usually small and thin, it's no good having 3ft of bandage but only a very thin 2 inch dressing so for a dressing I use sanitary towels and for bandage (to keep the dressing in place) I use electrical tape, I've been out in the bush and survived with this combination for days, the key with my option is that you can change the sanitary towel and tape dressing as often as you like as you will have plenty of both to bad able to do so (and its totally waterproof) thus preventing infection but if you've only got one or two bandages in your kit you will tend to keep them on longer than you should as you only have 2 or so in your kit and in doing so you risk infection plus you will be continuously trying to keep the 3 foot of bandage wrapped around the dressing and fiddling with it this getting it and the wound dirty, the safety pins included won't help you keep such a dressing in place lol that set up might be fine if your in the office all day but not in the bush ;) gorilla tape works good to keep a wound closed and clean prior to stitching. Once a serious cut has clotted discard the blood soaked dressing, fully clean and dry sourounding skin and tape up with gorilla tape and leave it alone for stitching, if it won't clot or stop bleeding pack it and tape up tight and leave it! if you don't have or don't want to pack sutures you can use any fishing hook (smallest you have is better) and fishing line, sterilise both and your hands and wound in iodine or alcohol if youve got it, if you have none of either boiling water or worst way salt water prior to use, do one stitch at a time working from the middle of the cut to the edges one stitch at at time to each side of the first middle one. Alternatively hope I'm with you :rofl:

Right lee a may have called you blade in the past but a think RAMBO mite suit better m8 :rofl:

No mate that's good advice for when a blister appears :thumbsup: I don't think its my boots, i normally wear 2 pairs of socks, a thinnish liner pair plus a thick merino wool pair, i've had no problems with blisters, but with it been a hot day, i thought my feet would sweat wearing 2 pair. When i got home and checked my foot, i couldn't believe the size of the blister, 50p size :eek: i had to pull that size chunk of skin off, it was just to say attached. I'm thinking plaster then gaffa tape over the top so it stays stuck. Been checking remedy's on the net, good old gaffa tape keeps popping up ;)

The world is held together with gaffa tape:rofl: so a don't see it not working with a blister

Never thought about using it that way m8 a do carry some in a small med kit when a go out so jobs a good'in :thumbsup:

With the technology used in kit nowadays I don't believe in having to break in boots any more, Blisters are usually a sock issue, I do put the after market inner soles in boots and shoes and even in trainers and I change them regularly. For socks I use only thin 100% cotton in the summer, thicker 100% cotton in the spring and Autum and in the winter (below 2*) I also put on 100% wool ones over the thin cotton ones.

I tend not to pack bandages as such but I do keep 2 small ones for very minor matters for the kids, for dealing with major cuts and burns I pack sanatory towles, they can be used whole for a thick large dressing or cut up for multiple uses like small dressings and plasters they pack down smaller than bandages and they now come individually wrapped and I would say they are pretty much sterile, and I've found the bandage part of the 'bandage dressing' is pretty useless and the dressing you get with bandage is usually small and thin, it's no good having 3ft of bandage but only a very thin 2 inch dressing so for a dressing I use sanitary towels and for bandage and to keep the dressing in place I use electrical tape, I've been out in the bush and survived with this combination for days, the key with my option is that you can change the sanitary towel and tape dressing as often as you like as you will have plenty of both to be able to do so (and its totally waterproof) thus preventing infection but if you've only got one or two bandages in your kit you will tend to keep them on the wound longer than you should as you only have 2 or so in your kit and in doing so you risk infection plus you will be continuously trying to keep the 3 foot of bandage wrapped around the dressing and fiddling with it hence getting it and the wound dirty, the safety pins included won't help you keep such a dressing in place lol that set up might be fine if your in the office all day but not in the bush ;) gorilla tape works good to keep a wound closed and clean prior to stitching. Once a serious cut has clotted discard the blood soaked dressing, fully clean and dry sourounding skin and tape up with gorilla tape and leave it alone for stitching, if it won't clot (stop bleeding) pack it well and tape it up tight and leave it! if you don't have or don't want to pack sutures you can use any fishing hook (smallest you have is better) and fishing line in an emergency, sterilise both, your hands and wound in iodine or alcohol if youve got it, if you have either use boiling water or worst way salt water prior to stitching, do one stitch at a time working from the middle of the cut to the edges one stitch at at time to each side of the first middle one. Alternatively hope I'm with you :rofl:

Bloody hell i hope i don't get into a situation were i have to turn into Rambo :rofl: and stitch myself up, but ya never knew it could happen one day :eek: i hope not. Good advice regarding sanitary towels, i never thought of them. I bought a bottle of hibiscrub a while ago, to use to clean the dogs paws after a walk, i'll decant some of that into a small bottle, should come in handy clean cuts and grazes. I've had a small roll of Gorilla tape in my basket for a while on ebay, with a few other things.

Good advice Chaps, keep them coming :thumbsup:

With the technology used in kit nowadays I don't believe in having to break in boots any more, Blisters are usually a sock issue, I do put the after market inner soles in boots and shoes and even in trainers and I change them regularly. For socks I use only thin 100% cotton in the summer, thicker 100% cotton in the spring and Autum and in the winter (below 2*) I also put on 100% wool ones over the thin cotton ones.
I normally wear 2 pair, i've had no issues with blisters. I think wearing 1 pair, my heel was maybe moving about and rubbing on the inside of my boot. Funny how it happened on the hike out, i might not of pulled the laces tight enough :confused:

The world is held together with gaffa tape:rofl: so a don't see it not working with a blister

Never thought about using it that way m8 a do carry some in a small med kit when a go out so jobs a good'in :thumbsup:
Yep, i'm just thinking to keep the plaster in place, say if you get a hot spot could turn into a blister.
Worth a try :thumbsup:

The old day remixes for cuts etc like salt water and surgical spirit has been forgotten since detol and savlon arrived as cream in tubes. Surgical spirit is great for cleaning cuts etc, problem with these creams like detol and salon is that they hang around the wound wet collecting dirt thus bacteria and lose their cleasing properties over a short time, I prefer the regular cleaning of a minor cut or blister with surgical spirit as it will kill everything and then it will evaporate allowing a new dressing to be applied to a clean dry clean surface ;) few land born bacteria can survive in salt water, Rember back in the day gargling with salt water for a sore throat! I usually go to salt water first to deal with minor cuts etc, your be surprised how much quicker such injurys heal up.

Once healing starts and there is no infection revert to assisting the healing.

For aiding fast healing to minor cuts, blisters and also for insect bites and stings nothing beats tea tree oil and or honey. Silver has been know for years to kill all bacteria and there are expensive sprays and plasters containing silver on the market now, I cant comment fully on their effectiveness as I've only had limited use of them, I guess the only way I would use silver is as a fine powder in a survival situation in the treatment of a major infection but then your risking blood poisoning by doing so. I guess when you have nothing else left get out the multi tool file and the silver key ring lol

I know it's slightly off topic but does anyone have natural remedies for eczema? I've had an eczema blister on my dominant right palm for nearly 4 years and cannot get it to heal. This causes my great problems with knife, axe and saw work.

I would really like to have this healed by the time the summer meet comes but I'm very doubtful due to the length of time it's been there.

2017-06-08 22.55.29.jpg

I know it's slightly off topic but does anyone have natural remedies for eczema? I've had an eczema blister on my dominant right palm for nearly 4 years and cannot get it to heal. This causes my great problems with knife, axe and saw work.

I would really like to have this healed by the time the summer meet comes but I'm very doubtful due to the length of time it's been there.

View attachment 10357

Not a lot can be done mate other than externally treating the promlem when needed as the problem is 'within' the skin as such, it's not an external matter, (unless open sores become infected) No external applications will really help prior to an outbrake, when the skin becomes 'open' then it's s case of treating the open sore. Eczema is a immune system reaction/condition withinn the blood and the skin, all I can advise is try to resist scratching an effected area and prior to the skin breaking apply lots of tea tree oil when it starts to itch and for immunity strength avoid all process food and drinks, eat lots of fresh fish, turmeric, garlic and ginger, drink mineral water, avoid all medication that treats or effects the immune system when possible.

To help heal your current outbreak use lots of tea tree oil and honey.

resist scratching an effected area and prior to the skin breaking apply lots of tea tree oil when it starts to itch and for immunity strength avoid all process food and drinks, eat lots of fresh fish, turmeric, garlic and ginger, drink mineral water, avoid all medication that treats or effects the immune system when possible.
To help heal your current outbreak use lots of tea tree oil and honey.
Thanks for some very good advice Lee.
Our family's diet excludes all processed food, includes organic veg and meat (when possible) and we eat a lot of fish and meat, often with turmeric, cinnamon, garlic and ginger. We avoid all prescription medications. We also exclude most processed carbs like bread and pasta.
Our mains water source is good but I've yet to compare it to mineral water.

I take high dose pure vitamin D which has helped my skin immensely but cannot cure the problem completely.

My weekly downfall is rum and ginger beer and daily downfall is coffee but I'm placing my trust in a higher power that these things are not my triggers! (but I'm sure the things I like the most are the things I should avoid.

I will try the tea tree oil and honey :)

Good advice your receiving ;) vitamin d is good for your condition as it's the SUN vitamin, however it cant really be reproduced in the natural 'sun' format as a pill or supplement, the best format of vitamin d is via sunlight ;) :

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

It's important to keep away from all non organic or wild food products, especially meat and fish as they will all contain antibiotics even products that are sold as free range contain antibiotics, as free range refers to 'quality of life' and doesn't include 'maintaining health' of an animal in its legislation. Free range chickens and other free range meat are pellet fed feed this feed all contains antibiotics and anti bacterials and this feed is exemp to disclosure on the final product food packaging as it was in the feed to maintain a 'healthy life' of the animal. A big mistake many make is to eat farmed fish. Farmed fish is about as worst as it gets, the fish life is very short and its force grown and continuously immunised against infection just like chickens, they are pellet fed from birth and there has been stories of farmed fish fed on kitty Kat dry food pellets in fish farms in Europe, dry cat food and all dry animal pellet food contains added antibiotics. My advice is to avoid chickens and farmed fish full stop. Eat only wild sea fish having said that I know it's hard I know and mainly boils down to sardines and mackerel and if you can get wild salmon (currently in the frozen section of sainsburys) but many wild fish are available at cash and carrys and for meat, stick to organic beef once a week at the most if you can't get that get New Zealand lamb.

Eczema is immune related so you must avoid all food chain antibiotics and force grown meat and fish.

IMG_2399.JPG

Have the same problem gizz and a have been through the mills with the doctors and cream so a done a little research myself. In the picture it's about 10p size...it was covering my calf and I had it on my hands and knees elbows down the side of my head and arms...I had enough of the doctors and steroid cream. Have a look a detoxification....intermediate fasting...fighting it from the inside out.. mine has almost gone a have a little on my elbows and leg.

Yea mate, I stopped the steroid creams over a year ago and have been trying to detox but my diet is probably still 15% stuff I shouldn't have (coffee, rum, coke, bread, pizza). I'm trying to drink more water too.

Lee: You have very much the same attitudes to food sources as my wife. She is absolutely adamant that organic food is better than the alternatives, and she's right but the cost is a killer.

View attachment 10357
When my son was at uni he suffered very badly on his hands so I got some white cotton gloves,coated his hands thickly with Vaseline then made him wear the gloves and it worked

As far as blister dressings go I've used spray on plaster and always keep it in my first aid kit

Back