• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A good alternative to or used with plasters for blisters.

Yea mate, I stopped the steroid creams over a year ago and have been trying to detox but my diet is probably still 15% stuff I shouldn't have (coffee, rum, coke, bread, pizza). I'm trying to drink more water too.

Lee: You have very much the same attitudes to food sources as my wife. She is absolutely adamant that organic food is better than the alternatives, and she's right but the cost is a killer.

The organic meat and wild fish are very expensive, veg is about the same, fruit is also expensive, shop around mate and make the most of what's in season like mackerel and when wild Alaskan salmon is in season, youngs are doing 4 pieces for £4.50 frozen bags, currently in the co op and saisburys and maybe else where

The organic meat and wild fish are very expensive, veg is about the same, fruit is also expensive, shop around mate and make the most of what's in season like mackerel and when wild Alaskan salmon is in season, youngs are doing 4 pieces for £4.50 frozen bags, currently in the co op and saisburys and maybe else where
Twice a week lemon balm tea mate

back to the original question to reduce the risk of blisters in the first place then the product to look for is zinc tape. it stills really well to skin and has a shiny outer that reduces friction. lots of soldiers tape up their feet prior to big tabs as a preventative measure; its a reel skill to get the tape on smoothly in the right place but it is worth doing if you suffer from blisters. as others have said finding the right boots and sock combinations is the real issue!

back to the original question to reduce the risk of blisters in the first place then the product to look for is zinc tape. it stills really well to skin and has a shiny outer that reduces friction. lots of soldiers tape up their feet prior to big tabs as a preventative measure; its a reel skill to get the tape on smoothly in the right place but it is worth doing if you suffer from blisters. as others have said finding the right boots and sock combinations is the real issue!

That's the stuff i've been thinking about, but couldn't think of the name of it. I'm gonna get some of it, add it to my FAK. Cheers :thumbsup:

Looks the part, quality can be varied so you could take a punt.

I wouldn't go wider than an inch as it's hard to apply any wider without causing wrinkles.

Looks the part, quality can be varied so you could take a punt.

I wouldn't go wider than an inch as it's hard to apply any wider without causing wrinkles.

Cheers mate, i'll think i'll take a punt on a 2.5cm x 10 metre roll £1.49 delivered :thumbsup:

Ordered a roll, seller got 99% positive feedback should be ok.

For blister dressing granuflex is the daddy. I once had a blister covering my entire heel that then tore off leaving the raw skin underneath exposed. Could hardly walk on it and had a fair old trek to do for the next week with some fair weight on me to boot. Had some granuflex put on and I won't say I didn't notice it but walking was manageable. The day before the granuflex I had put some compede on and when I took my boot off at the end of the day it was literally just a mulchy goo in my sock due to the weight hear and terrain.

I do favour draining them as someone has said using a needle with a thread but you do risk having created a channel for infection to enter. A mate of mine used to drain and then re fill them with medicinal alcohol rub via syringe. Gods knows why it must have bloody killed but he swore it toughened it up quicker. Wouldn't recommend that one myself tbh.

Leaving the thread through a. Lister keeps it drained but CAN cause real infection risks, I've seen it happen to a friend who ended up in hospital as a result.

Zinc tape is a preventative measure, you can double side it to reduce friction on hot spots but it is best used to prevent blisters not cure them.

Surgical spirit. That's the stuff I was trying to think of the name of last night!

I would never do the thread thing out in the field where I can't guarantee it being kept as clean as back at home. Purely, like 38 said, because I've seen someone get a bad infection because they were unable to keep it as clean as they needed to. Nowhere near hospital time though. That must've been flipping nasty that.

Just a quick report, I wore my normal 2 pairs of socks a thin double liner pair and thick merino wool pair, on Friday's wildcamping trip. With not a hint of a blister starting or appearing, i'm guessing the blister was caused by just wearing 1 pair of socks.

I'll still take the Zinc oxide tape in my FAK, for just incase sernario's, on longer trips.

Wolf,
When I was in the army(many years ago!), I was told that on the Nijmegen Marches the medics used to draw out the plasma in the blister with a syringe then injecting potassium permaganate back in, to sterilize the raw patch. I was also told that this was never done voluntarily and it took at least 4 other people to hold the patient down to stop him hitting said medic, then running off.

Cheers mate, i'll think i'll take a punt on a 2.5cm x 10 metre roll £1.49 delivered :thumbsup:

Ordered a roll, seller got 99% positive feedback should be ok.
Zinc Oxide tape i bought from China arrived yesterday, looks decent quality tape with nice tackyness to it, it should apply ok, if and when needed :thumbsup:

Zinc Oxide tape i bought from China arrived yesterday, looks decent quality tape with nice tackyness to it, it should apply ok, if and when needed :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC_0370.JPG
    DSC_0370.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 132
Let us know how you get on with it Gary....hopefully you wont need it:thumbsup:

You could always stick a bit on BEFORE you get a blister just to see how well , it performs?

Back