• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A list of things you might have looked over

Cheapshots

Extremely Talkative
So I just thought we could collectively compile a list of small items that could be useful post shift that some people may not have considered.

Flares: They can be flarely expensive but provide a useful means of basic communication and illumination at a moments notice, I'd recommend ensuring you get a few parasite flares. Additionally in a situation that could potentially become hostile flares can be a good way to deter a potential aggressor without having to resort to violence.

Dog Whistle: Unfortunately many of man's surviving best friends and their offspring could end up roaming and breeding free and.... feral. Dogs are pretty hard to out run and no one wants to shoot one. so a good quality tone adjustable dog whistle with a tone high enough to deter the dog could be useful.

Spare cloth, needle and thread: There'll be no popping down to matalan post shift so the ability to repair cloths is always useful.

Board game: Especially if you've got kids or think you might do one day having a few good board game or role play game could be useful for winter evenings.

The costume of your chosen post apocalyptic insane cult: Mine is the cult of Cthulhu.

So I just thought we could collectively compile a list of small items that could be useful post shift that some people may not have considered.

Flares: They can be flarely expensive but provide a useful means of basic communication and illumination at a moments notice, I'd recommend ensuring you get a few parasite flares. Additionally in a situation that could potentially become hostile flares can be a good way to deter a potential aggressor without having to resort to violence.

Dog Whistle: Unfortunately many of man's surviving best friends and their offspring could end up roaming and breeding free and.... feral. Dogs are pretty hard to out run and no one wants to shoot one. so a good quality tone adjustable dog whistle with a tone high enough to deter the dog could be useful.

Spare cloth, needle and thread: There'll be no popping down to matalan post shift so the ability to repair cloths is always useful.

Board game: Especially if you've got kids or think you might do one day having a few good board game or role play game could be useful for winter evenings.

The costume of your chosen post apocalyptic insane cult: Mine is the cult of Cthulhu.

The dog whistle is an excellent idea! Never considered that before

a gun would be better, fresh meat on the hoof..err..paw.

Ha. I agree, but I’m the uk you’re likely to only have a double barrel or a single shot rifle and dogs tend to travel in packs when they’re wild haha. A combination would be best I think

i'm not sure if the feral dog thing is over rated, many of the smaller breeds wont survive, will get attacked by larger dogs or will simply get locked in and starve, sure some of the larger breeds will survive and evolve into packs at some point but how quickly that will happen is pure guess work and i'm still more concerned about other peoples actions than any dog.

a gun would be better, fresh meat on the hoof..err..paw.
If you've got a better food source there's no point wasting ammo. Plus there's no point drawing unnecessary attention to yourself though the noise and flash of a gunshot.

true but other lethal means are possible, and quieter ones too, it dosent have to be a gun, I only said that because that would be most peoples first thought.

Ha. I agree, but I’m the uk you’re likely to only have a double barrel or a single shot rifle and dogs tend to travel in packs when they’re wild haha. A combination would be best I think
Once you own land you will be able to apply for a firearms licence (not just for a shotgun) to own a rifle of an appropriate caliber for any game or vermin on your land. The most common caliber said are .177HMR, .22LR and .223.... All of these can be bought cheaply enough second hand. If you have large game like deer (common in the south east) a .243 would be necessary.

i'm not sure if the feral dog thing is over rated, many of the smaller breeds wont survive, will get attacked by larger dogs or will simply get locked in and starve, sure some of the larger breeds will survive and evolve into packs at some point but how quickly that will happen is pure guess work and i'm still more concerned about other peoples actions than any dog.
My experience of feral dogs suggests that they're going to be less of a problem. They're more likely to scrounge or steal from you then attack. Many feral dogs enjoy/take advantage of human company or are content to live along side humans. Wild dogs and dingos have never been domesticated so are entirely different but not really an issue in the UK.

Perhaps but dog whistles are fairly cheap and there's also the threat of some one setting dogs on you. Its always easier to escalate to lethal force if you need it than deescalate to non-lethal so you might as well start off with non-lethal.

Once you own land you will be able to apply for a firearms licence (not just for a shotgun) to own a rifle of an appropriate caliber for any game or vermin on your land. The most common caliber said are .177HMR, .22LR and .223.... All of these can be bought cheaply enough second hand. If you have large game like deer (common in the south east) a .243 would be necessary.
I still currently live at home with my parents and there are a handful of double barrels and a couple of 22. Rifles in the house plus rounds and shells. The problem is in a shtf situation armed police and the military would be called in which would result in a few automatics and higher caliber guns being around which would in all honesty outfire shotguns or single shot rifles

Perhaps but dog whistles are fairly cheap and there's also the threat of some one setting dogs on you. Its always easier to escalate to lethal force if you need it than deescalate to non-lethal so you might as well start off with non-lethal.
i think the dog whistle idea has merit,
problem is I think it might attract every dog in the neighbourhood instead of deterring just one.

I still currently live at home with my parents and there are a handful of double barrels and a couple of 22. Rifles in the house plus rounds and shells. The problem is in a shtf situation armed police and the military would be called in which would result in a few automatics and higher caliber guns being around which would in all honesty outfire shotguns or single shot rifles
No one is suggesting that you take up arms against other people, or the police. I think of my rifle as a way to get food and control vermin. Your best defensive weapon is common sense. There is no historical precedent in the uk for the army or police to confiscate legal firearms, even during martial law. I checked.

Last edited:
i think the dog whistle idea has merit,
problem is I think it might attract every dog in the neighbourhood instead of deterring just one.
I was just wondering what everyone else was thinking a dog whistle would achieve, I use one as a training aid to avoid any frustration In my voice being passed onto the dog when things aren't going well.

No one is suggesting that you take up arms against other people, or the police. I think of my rifle as a way to get food and control vermin. Your best defensive weapon is common sense.
can we keep the talk about guns within the law as currently allowed please?? any remarks to the contrary could get this forum shut down.

Something that I feel is often overlooked is cordage or rope and the skills to use it to its maximum benefit. It's not as glamorous as knives or guns but it's a damn site more useful.

No one is suggesting that you take up arms against other people, or the police. I think of my rifle as a way to get food and control vermin. Your best defensive weapon is common sense. There is no historical precedent in the uk for the army or police to confiscate legal firearms, even during martial law. I checked.

Oh I have no intention of harming anyone even in a shtf situation, I was just saying In most shtf situations the governments and army’s would probably fail at least a large percent of them would therefore their weapons would be on the streets allowing survivors to scavenge them

Something that I feel is often overlooked is cordage or rope and the skills to use it to its maximum benefit. It's not as glamorous as knives or guns but it's a damn site more useful.

I try to make cordage out of as much as possible for practice. This past week I found some horse hair on a barbd fence and tried to make some. It was okay but the various lengths of hair meant adding all the time which made it very slow haha

Back