• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A morning walk

MildredsSmurf

Extremely Talkative
I finally moved to where I wanted to be at the end of 2019. Where I live now is where I used to walk all the time to escape from where I was before.
Things though have been busy, the weather's been rubbish as well so I've not really had much opportunity than to go for limited walks.

I left the house at 7:30 am this morning and within 40 minutes, I was standing on Bank Hill, looking south in the subdued light.
20200321_075434_HDR.jpg

I then took an alternative route back down the glen.

My arrival over a footbridge caught a red squirrel by surprise. I stood between it and the trees. It hid in the undergrowth for a while and after a minute or so got distracted by hunger, came out of hiding and proceeded to munch on a nut. It was oblivious to me standing nearby trying to take a photo of it on my phone.
20200321_081553_HDR.jpg

I continued on down the narrow glen with its waterfalls and gorges.
20200321_081942_HDR.jpg

Shortly before I reached my abode, I came across some daffodils, spring was certainly on its way.
20200321_083628_HDR.jpg

During this walk, all I could think about is how I can nip out after work to walk in the hills, I can even get up at 5am and climb Bank Hill before work...

It will be interesting to see how my action unfolds to match my enthusiasm...

Nice one mate, at least you're now making good use of the back garden. ;)

Happy to make up for a lack of camping tonight by heading through for a walk up the Ochils next weekend, as long as we can get a wee drink afterwards of course....

Edit to add, can do midweek if you can mange to 'work from home'. :lol:

So this morning I was out the door by 7am and high tailed it up to the Glen of Sorrow.
20200322_072412_HDR.jpg

20200322_072605_HDR.jpg

I was going this way to check some interesting feature on the map named "Kames", I'd stood looking down on them from the West, but had never ventured into them. I quickly climbed out of the Glen of Sorrow and headed towards them. In the next couple of pictures, you can see my tiny shadow :)
20200322_075521_HDR.jpg

20200322_080359_HDR.jpg

I descended down and found the makings of a tiny bothy here and the remains of some unfortunate sheep.
20200322_080712_HDR.jpg

20200322_080750_HDR.jpg

It's not great for camping, water's a 10-minute walk away and it's not flat. I will try tarping here sometime though as it's a nice spot.
I started to head back for breakfast.
20200322_081144_HDR.jpg

I came across a lone holly tree so paid it a visit.

20200322_081448_HDR.jpg

20200322_081517_HDR.jpg

20200322_081529_HDR.jpg

I decided to call this Holly Buddie :)
I picked up a few berries on the ground, my friend Sarah wants a holly tree in her garden and one of Buddies kids would be a nice addition.
20200322_083138_HDR.jpg

I'd decided it was time for brekky so I high tailed it straight for Bank Hill and a quick descent to home.
20200322_083855_HDR.jpg

I headed into the glen and passed the daffodils.
20200322_090621_HDR.jpg

A fantastic way to spend a lovely morning, just a pity I'm awaiting a delivery or I may have stayed out all day! I am addicted to walking and just being out there. Everything else that keeps me from it I consider an irritation. I secretly wish that I could survive on grass so that I could roam free permanently :D

Attachments

• 20200322_081529_HDR.jpg
    20200322_081529_HDR.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 89
Way to go Smurf........a lovely walk and brilliant photos.....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
Particularly like the one with the skull in :):thumbsup:

Survive on grass.... :lol: You're not fooling anyone, you'd still need your bevvy from the shops.

Glad you had a good walk mate, hopefully get out soon (while staying 2M apart).

That looked like a nice wee morning jaunt. Cracking photos as always too :)
So what were the 'Kames'?
edit: answered my own question
"A kame is a glacial landform, an irregularly shaped hill or mound composed of sand, gravel and till that accumulates in a depression on a retreating glacier, and is then deposited on the land surface with further melting of the glacier. "

That looked like a nice wee morning jaunt. Cracking photos as always too :)
So what were the 'Kames'?
edit: answered my own question
"A kame is a glacial landform, an irregularly shaped hill or mound composed of sand, gravel and till that accumulates in a depression on a retreating glacier, and is then deposited on the land surface with further melting of the glacier. "
Excellent thanks G1Zmo. I could see the big shelf banked up on the left-hand side of the glen of Sorrow that suggested maybe a glacial lake, but I didn't know what any of it was called. I'm going to read up on this more and It's a cracking place to explore

Back