• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A night in Fife with Bam and my son

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago now I suggested to my son Daniel (16) that he might like to come on an overnighter with Andy and I to Devilla forest in Fife.
He's previously turned down offers of cold weather camping so I was surprised when he said yes.

When discussing what to take he said he wanted to hammock. "Fine" I said "but you're carrying all your kit."

It was a lovely sunny 5 degree spring day on the Saturday walking in after we met up with @Bam
I hadn't told Daniel that it was a mile walk in with a heavyish pack but he managed fine.

Once at camp we stopped for a bit and had a cup-a-soup before setting up his hammock and tarp (DD frontline with 3x3 tarp, self inflating mat, under-blanket etc)
We then got down to doing some wood prep. I don't think Daniel had anticipated the work to gather and saw enough wood for the evening's fire but, give him his due, he didn't complain.

Dinner was steak & rice with fried carrots, potatoes, onions for us and @Bam made his spicy chicken stew which Daniel happily scoffed too. He was very impressed with your cooking skills Andy.

We sat around the fire in the evening talking the usual nonsense until it was time to turn in.

Overnight the temp hit minus 2C and the beautiful morning was crisp with frost but again sunny.
When I texted my wife good morning she asked me to go check that Daniel was still alive and not a frozen icicle. lol

After a breakfast fry-up and some more coffee we headed out.

All in all it was a good wee night and good experience for Daniel who will be up for it again.

Cheers

Nice one Paul Daniel and Andy :thumbsup:

What a lovely spot you have there.....beautiful.

The weather could not have been kinder to you all.....sunshine and blue skies.....perfect.....even if a tad chilly overnight.
Great to see Daniel and you having some more Father and Son time :thumbsup:.....by the sounds of things he may have caught the camping bug Paul:)

Excellent video mate........thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Very nice family trip.
I wish we did more as a family.
My four daughters, twins Loo and Moo 42 the Horse 35 and Kafff 30 and three granddaughters no boys no toys.
Horse is quite actively horsey in a very girly way.
Monty Python Spam spam spam repetitive chatter, change the word spam for horse, she doesn't stop.
I do have singing videos of Kaff and her mother in the woods.
We are right on the edge of Thetford Forest. Very nice apart from the Sheep Ticks. I have had family get to gether bonfire parties under the stars. Communal sleeping inside type tents and a play tent with a bbq outside. Beer song and guitars.
Apart from myself and Horse all the other family folk, in one way or another are in the Music business. Three teachers and a Doctor. With the rampant plague family events have been much nicer, all the folk having to stay outside and out of the house.
It's Rampant here now the plague. I have been having to continually daily shop and look after my elderly mother. Very strange with one way arrows on supermarket floors, food shortages and deserted roads.
Odd just when the plague is at its height, folk are not wearing masks. Ending free lateral nose sticks which I use a lot..

Standing in a chip n fish shop queue in Hunstanton waiting to order, I wonder if there is any point suggesting, perhaps a face mask might be sensible.
Several folk I'm in daily contact with are in poor health.
The plague could be life threatening for them. My 9 month granddaughter, Kafff and Woody her husband, all have the plague. The babe has been in hospital a lot. Not fully fit at all.
Kaff and Woody both self inflicted themselves with severe food poisoning. I have been looking after little Evelyn.

So I'm chatting to folks in the queue, nice people all like escapees from an old peoples home, scrawny necked tortoises. Huddled close together, I have had to mix with plague victims I'm afraid, I'm wearing a mask to protect you. I feel poorly all the time, hard to tell really. I don't have to stay home as long as my lateral flow is clear. While I was talking folk started to move further apart. I'll wait outside another said. Some queueing left. And even some folk fitted on a face mask.

In good humour I said, I tend to avoide plague talk myself.

Attachments

• received_542626153806234.jpeg
    received_542626153806234.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: lol
Glad Daniel had a good night mate, his efforts with the saw and axe were appreciated when we were prepping the wood. He was only 'Kevin the teenager' when it came to getting up in the morning. Bless. He's more than welcome at the next catch up.

Back