• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A one stick wander

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
The past few days here have started grey and mild but by mid morning have turned bright and golden with warm sunshine. Today was no exception so after my little tussle with the sewing machine and a butchered Cool Bag, I went for a short wander up the lane.

I need to practice walking on sloping ground, flat is easy, I've cracked that, but a gentle hill is about weight transfer to different muscles so needs working on.
DSC00289.JPG

This is good, stay off the Mossy bit up the middle and I can check the wall too. šŸ˜Š It's ok I haven't gone potty, it's just that the wall intrigues me. It was built in the late 1700's and is home to all sorts of plants and creatures. I saw a Weasel run along the top one day.

DSC00290.JPG

Further up the hill the wall is bathed in late sunlight, so worth a look. As the days get longer and the afternoon sun warms the stone work of the wall, (it faces West ) the plants come to life. This is Wall Penny Wort (umbilicus rupestris) or Naval Wort as it's appearance is likened to a Belly Button . (note the Latin name Umbilicus)...

DSC00291.JPG

Wall Penny Wort because to older generations the leaves looked like the old English big Pennies then in use..

DSC00293.JPG

Later in the Spring the old wall will be home to many other flowering plants. The Penny Wort when young is edible, not unlike Cucumber, later the older leaves taste like Cucumber flavoured leather....šŸ˜‚

DSC00292.JPG

DSC00294.JPG

Home down the slope. Not far and only about an hour, but it's good practice and the sun was warm..šŸ‘

The wall is a great feature, a lot of the old houses and estate boundaries had similar. Low and simple most of the way around but much grander and made of dressed stone either side of the gates or gate lodges.
I love the Cornish walls identical to the French bocage. Basically a stone wall given back to nature

Back