• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A rare sight around here, Fieldfare gathering nesting materials along the riverbank

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I was walking along the upper Irfon when I saw five Fieldfare gathering nesting material. I'm told it's highly unusual for them to breed in the UK, we have also had a flush of Redwing earlier this year but I haven't seen any since the beginning of March.

I don't think I have ever seen Fieldfares other than as Autumn arrivals, so that is interesting. Do the birdies know something about future weather that they decide to nest here rather than farther North as usual, I wonder?

They're in the area of the confluence of the rivers Irfon and Wye, nesting/roosting in an untended strip of woodland that borders the Wye Valley walk. Definitely Fieldfare but I must admit that I thought it was very strange that they're still here as well Saxonaxe

How strange the world is Ystranc. You mention Fieldfares in the wye Valley area, which is where I last saw them too. Two winters ago I was camped in the Forest Of Dean and wandering up the Wye Valley I heard that strange chack/chattering sound the Fieldfares make, and saw a flock of about 10 or 12 lift out of a wild grass area.
DSCF4669.JPG
DSCF4665.JPG
DSCF4697.JPG
DSCF4681.JPG

The snow moved in on the second night, but I got to see a Peregrine Falcon strike on a wood Pigeon up on Symonds Yat before I left after a week or so camped in the Forest. :D

Back