• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A sleep system idea.

Brambling

Very Addicted
Been following a couple of threads, namely GIZmO's 4 season sleeping bag and Adrians sleep system, got me to thinking. I struggle to keep warm even in summer. I had been considering the new bag, but to be honest I think I would probably still have the same problem.
Anyhoo, I had an epiphany. I have two sleeping bags, one a Snugpak and also a Tesco Microlight bag. I'm going to see if the Snugpak fits in the tesco bag and I reckon that could do it! so I could have a new sleep 'system' from what I already have. Add the DD tarp and there's a lightweight swag thingie. :D
Just some thoughts.

Been following a couple of threads, namely GIZmO's 4 season sleeping bag and Adrians sleep system, got me to thinking. I struggle to keep warm even in summer. I had been considering the new bag, but to be honest I think I would probably still have the same problem.
Anyhoo, I had an epiphany. I have two sleeping bags, one a Snugpak and also a Tesco Microlight bag. I'm going to see if the Snugpak fits in the tesco bag and I reckon that could do it! so I could have a new sleep 'system' from what I already have. Add the DD tarp and there's a lightweight swag thingie. :D
Sounds like a plan Bramble, you could of course use a space blanket instead of the DD

Simples ....

Some of the more expensive systems use a liner within a bag within a bigger bag within a outer bivvy bag theory .....

Aye, if it works, it works. I've taken my softie suit away with me sometimes when taking my lightweight bag before, I make my mind up what I'll need when I'm there. Options are handy.

From what I understand it isn't uncommon to use a British Army jungle bag inside an arctic bag both as a liner and for a little extra insulation with a bivvi bag over the top of a foam roll up foam mat....it would seem that the idea works but that particular set up is super bulky.
My Arctic bag is pretty old but it's still the warmest one I own.

If it saves buying a new bag then go for it;

I’ve used a softy-9 3 season bag inside my jungle bag before and it worked well; it’s about the same bulk as my MOD90 bouncing bomb so no real advantage other than a bit of flexibility.

From what I understand it isn't uncommon to use a British Army jungle bag inside an arctic bag both as a liner and for a little extra insulation with a bivvi bag over the top of a foam roll up foam mat....it would seem that the idea works but that particular set up is super bulky.
My Arctic bag is pretty old but it's still the warmest one I own.

You can't seem to get the Arctic 90 anymore, and one thing I like about the Carinthia in the other thread was the full length ventral zip opposed to the shorty on my otherwise brill Arctic 90. Its a bugger to get into with a liner.
However there's this........and cheaper than the Carinthia.....

Is it the same as this?:

-really nice price potentially?

Experiment success! The Snugpak Laponie 3 season does indeed fit inside the Microlight bag, with room to spare. I call that a win.:) Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Just need to give it a test drive now missus.

Back