• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A stormy night with a muddy ending ....

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Last night saw me out for a stress busting overnight solo , no wild camp due to the weather forecast so a night on a basic site at Hayburn Wyke .

The trip started with calm weather and superb views , I pitched in a spot safe from any likely tree fall using the car as a wind break .

I decided to keep food simple so didn’t have my curry ( that’s for tea tonight ) so it was a double portion of super noodles , cheese and biscuits and plenty of whisky whilst sat by a roaring firebox 🔥 📺.

As the weather deteriorated I settled down in my tent ,the wind picked up and the rain was relentless. I have a poor nights sleep and was awake mostly. As I lay there this morning the wind and rain appeared to relent and I decided to pack away and run for home , as soon as I started the rain and wind returned with a vengeance and I was soon wet through 🙁.

As I got ready to leave it soon became clear that the Aygo ( anywhere ) was not going anywhere at all 😳.

I finally got away at 1130 after paying an almost friendly farmer to drag me off the now quagmire of a field 😁.

A great camp only slightly spoiled by the storm but as they say “ better out than in” 😜.

Here’s a few pics , some slightly different than usual as I was posting some yesterday in a separate post .

97A2B7BA-3464-46D7-A484-9B5C5D0FC3C8.jpeg
72C97C2F-3537-42B2-A6DB-FE8CEF88AB48.jpeg
6F5B2BF3-6F6D-469F-8737-602AB8A44B4C.jpeg
FC1EBE59-43AD-4DAF-B485-2225958A8FBB.jpeg
BB4564A6-E871-49C6-9899-A2842BA0B0C2.jpeg
17965761-1F7E-4ADC-82AF-F81E80C57F86.jpeg
1F27F60E-34E2-4B50-8540-662FC4D5F166.jpeg
1D35FE76-B62B-4EA1-B64B-1E4E36A67A57.jpeg
7FF45406-DAA2-474F-BF27-0E57D5F2FD30.jpeg
89BB6D75-E71E-4E64-806E-4F63078E5C5F.jpeg
F31DB937-67D4-4CE0-9F41-F11BE3765429.jpeg
D94FD775-7B8B-4E0C-9154-E7505E3F19B8.jpeg
C1D62A59-FEE9-4594-A0B5-DB5012615498.jpeg
07541B6C-5E4F-47BE-A57A-424B56BB9A02.jpeg

Just been chatting to my Brother in law up North of Newcastle an he had blue sky....there's no justice.

If its like us, we're getting quite a lot of blue sky but still getting squalls of rain coming through too, the wind is still blowing it pretty quick.

Last night saw me out for a stress busting overnight solo , no wild camp due to the weather forecast so a night on a basic site at Hayburn Wyke .

The trip started with calm weather and superb views , I pitched in a spot safe from any likely tree fall using the car as a wind break .

I decided to keep food simple so didn’t have my curry ( that’s for tea tonight ) so it was a double portion of super noodles , cheese and biscuits and plenty of whisky whilst sat by a roaring firebox 🔥 📺.

As the weather deteriorated I settled down in my tent ,the wind picked up and the rain was relentless. I have a poor nights sleep and was awake mostly. As I lay there this morning the wind and rain appeared to relent and I decided to pack away and run for home , as soon as I started the rain and wind returned with a vengeance and I was soon wet through 🙁.

As I got ready to leave it soon became clear that the Aygo ( anywhere ) was not going anywhere at all 😳.

I finally got away at 1130 after paying an almost friendly farmer to drag me off the now quagmire of a field 😁.

A great camp only slightly spoiled by the storm but as they say “ better out than in” 😜.

Here’s a few pics , some slightly different than usual as I was posting some yesterday in a separate post .

View attachment 20324View attachment 20325View attachment 20326View attachment 20327View attachment 20328View attachment 20329View attachment 20330View attachment 20331View attachment 20332View attachment 20333View attachment 20334View attachment 20335View attachment 20336View attachment 20337
Sorry to hear it didn't end to well Rob but that's one of the joys of winter camping, at least you got some nice photos. Now all the fun of drying things out

I'm sitting here listening to the 2pm news on Radio Wales. All around there are reports of flooding, trees down and storm damage. Here my weather report would honestly be ..." Quite windy, but no rain and bright overcast sky"...

Nice photos Rob, that coastal shot with the sea looks quite placid, the weather shore around here is a bit different with radio warnings to stay away from the shoreline.

That pic
I'm sitting here listening to the 2pm news on Radio Wales. All around there are reports of flooding, trees down and storm damage. Here my weather report would honestly be ..." Quite windy, but no rain and bright overcast sky"...

Nice photos Rob, that coastal shot with the sea looks quite placid, the weather shore around here is a bit different with radio warnings to stay away from the shoreline.
that picture was taken yesterday , wasn’t like that this morning ! It’s actually quite nice here now 🤔

Things seem to be calming down here too. We had some late sun and it's now just a bit squally.

Things seem to be calming down here too. We had some late sun and it's now just a bit squally.
Same here but now it's hammering down, the wind is picking up again and the rivers Irfon and Wye are just at the point of overflowing. I'm about 20 meters above highest river level with a flood plain on the other side so there's no chance of me flooding but it looks very bad for the local chalet park built on the flood plain.

Jolly good pictures, thanks for sharing.

I'm all for helping a "vulnerable and distressed" person but calling it Project Kraken - The kraken is a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of gigantic size in Scandinavian folklore. According to the Norse sagas, the kraken dwells off the coasts of Norway and Greenland and terrorizes nearby sailors - hmmmm

Jolly good pictures, thanks for sharing.

I'm all for helping a "vulnerable and distressed" person but calling it Project Kraken - The kraken is a legendary cephalopod-like sea monster of gigantic size in Scandinavian folklore. According to the Norse sagas, the kraken dwells off the coasts of Norway and Greenland and terrorizes nearby sailors - hmmmm

Interesting..... the signs are all along the coast designed to tackle people smuggling , arriving refugees , drug smuggling and ner do wells trying to sneak into the U.K. via quiet coastal towns and sheltered bays . No explanation why they called it that , probably a decision taken in an office in London somewhere 🤔

Interesting..... the signs are all along the coast designed to tackle people smuggling , arriving refugees , drug smuggling and ner do wells trying to sneak into the U.K. via quiet coastal towns and sheltered bays . No explanation why they called it that , probably a decision taken in an office in London somewhere 🤔
A lot of the North East coastline is steeped in Norse mythology

Interesting..... the signs are all along the coast designed to tackle people smuggling , arriving refugees , drug smuggling and ner do wells trying to sneak into the U.K. via quiet coastal towns and sheltered bays .
Once upon a time that was part of the remit of HMCoastguard. I grew up on the coast and the yellow and blue Coastguard land rovers were a common sight, these days most of the look out towers are no more than a distant memory.

Once upon a time that was part of the remit of HMCoastguard. I grew up on the coast and the yellow and blue Coastguard land rovers were a common sight, these days most of the look out towers are no more than a distant memory.

IF....manned, will be manned by "CoastWatch" volunteers......Coastguard it seems have withdrawn to computer rooms somewhere, and local knowledge has counted for nothing...…….certainly on the Anglian coast.

(who woke me up?)

Back