• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A trial run...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
That's trial not trail... :lol: I've been out and about a few times on and off road with my Haversack containing brew kit and a few EDC bits. With a litre of water on board it weighs in at 7 lbs.....3 . 25 kgs? not a great weight but quite noticeable as far as balance is concerned with wobbly legs, especially off road. So today being a beautiful sunny day with a light but chill Easterly breeze I thought it was an ideal chance to see if I could remain upright off road carrying a heavier load.

DSC00400.JPG

Enter my old 1960's Bergan, a real one...:D Sticking to my self imposed rule to carry overnight capability if I venture far from home, I ended up- with a weight of 17.5 lbs ( 8+ kgs) including water, grub etc:

DSC00424.JPG

It immediately became obvious to me as soon as I stepped out of the door, that today's first load carrying wander would have to be a sensible one. So a couple of miles round the lake on the footpaths would do for a trial run, and I set off feeling very unbalanced...No, I don't mean my normal mental state, I mean the falling over kind of unbalanced...:lol:

I was reminded of another post on the forum about Fungi when I saw the very old dried up Bracket Fungus on this felled tree. To the touch it feels almost like a huge Barnacle that you might find on rocks or a seaside pier support leg.
DSC00408.JPG

DSC00407.JPG

First test, the slope down to the lake. Even after yesterday's rain it was still quite dry underfoot so not unduly slippery, but still hard work.

DSC00409.JPG

Safely down and looking towards the top end of the lake where a number of Springs and run offs bring yesterdays rain down to the lake. It was quite noticeable how the white water rushed under the old bridge and could be seen and heard from where I was, some distance away.

DSC00411.JPG

This Mallard Drake was within snatching distance, I wouldn't starve here if the Zombies took over the world...

DSC00410.JPG

The overflow Cill runs with a muted roar after heavy rain and on a silent windless night I can hear it from home.
DSC00412.JPG

Having reached the far side of the lake with just one double knee wobble, although I didn't end up on the deck thanks to my magic walking stick, I found the paths to be sunlit and almost completely dry.
DSC00422.JPG

Physically it's interesting to find out how much just 17 odd lbs makes to balance and load on the knee joints. Quite tiring really, well at nearly 77 it is, but a good guide to how much tottering practice is still required before attempting Pen y fan. :rofl:

There is a good sheltered little brew spot about a mile from home. Once just one of the features of the Estate Parkland Woods, it still today provided somewhere to rest up out of the Easterly breeze and a chance to sit down.
DSC00413.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

Using the little meths stove today, even with the wire mesh over the flame it still boils a mug of water in about 7 minutes, but really..who's in a hurry anyway?
DSC00415.JPG

The Grotto is of Limestone rocks and was sensibly built facing South and today was really cosy in the sun and out of the chill breeze.
DSC00420.JPG

The Ramsons grow right to the front door here and fill the space with their smell. Next trip will be a foraging one as the taste is fully in the young plants now.

DSC00418.JPG

DSC00423.JPG

The sculpting effects of water on the Limestone are interesting and provide hidey holes for many happy insects and convenient Take-Away food stops for some pretty overweight Spiders that were waddling around while I drank my tea...
DSC00419.JPG

DSC00421.JPG

just about 2 miles in total, but enough for a start. Not a very dramatic day some would say, but Tea in the sunshine with a nice view and the smell of Wild Garlic filling the air, my life could be a lot less contended, and every journey starts with the first small step.

:thumbsup:

Pen y Fan! There's a rave from the past. Had a couple of wild camps on the way up and down back in the 60's. Camped alongside one of the streams. I actually hitch hiked from Worcester to get there. Great write up Sax and thanks for jolting the memory.

Good stuff Sax. How did you feel afterwards?
The ransoms are certainly much further on with you than they are up here. Just sprouting here now.

Weary, I think is the best word Paul, it's nice to get home after each walk but there is a hitch later. I get home make a brew and sit down knowing that when the time to stand up again after 10 minutes or so, it will be a " One, two three grit my teeth and stand" moment. It borders on the painful, but is getting easier as time and exercise increases. 👍

Back