• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A visit to the Lairig Leacach Bothy

MildredsSmurf

Extremely Talkative
I've not been on much as I've been undergoing a "mid-life realignment", but I'm still managing to get away the odd weekend. Last weekend it was a trip to the Lairig Leacach Mountain Bothy in the Central Highlands. I went with a Bam, who's a seasoned bothy (and Lairich Leacach) veteran and our pal Dave, who hadn't a clue what was involved.

We reached the bothy with an hour or so of daylight left and we saw that the top sleeping platform had bedding already down, so we knew we wouldn't be alone this night. This is a busy bothy being surrounded by munro's so you expect hillwalkers to make the use of it most weekends. As we were starting our food, a couple of folks turned up and we asked them if that was their gear - It wasn't. Then another couple of folk turned up and that wasn't their gear either. Eventually, the owners of the gear turned up just as we'd finished making dinner. Luckily that was it, but 9 people slept in the small bothy that night.

We'd bought plenty of beer, wine and coal so after dinner, it was the usual fireside chat between 9 strangers with similar interests who sit around the fire and have a laugh. Eventually, it was time for bed and Bam elected to sleep on the floor whilst the rest of us crammed on the sleeping platform toe to toe and side by side. I was second last to hit the pillow, leaving Bam up to finish his wee cup (box) of kindness that he'd been nursing.

In the morning I awoke to 2 people missing from the sleeping platform, driven away by Bam and I's snoring. They decided that bivvying outside was more tolerable :D
After the usual breakfast scrum where the walkers get themself ready for another day on the hils, Bam made a nice breakfast wrap for me and Dave and we then sauntered down the Lairig Leacach back to the car.

Dave had never experienced a bothy and he is now hooked, he couldn't believe that a group of strangers all congregate in a remote place, have a fire, drink a bit and talk rubbish and then all leave with a cheery wave in the morning to do what they enjoy doing. I'm glad that he got that.

What a special place. I love to see where everyone has been, or is going.
@divebuddy, I hear ya. My knees are shot to pieces too. I just about managed a couple of miles In the Lake District with Bam last year, all the up hill and down dale is a killer these days. Depressing, but that's the way it is. I can still go a few hours along the canal, so there are silver linings.

Last edited:
Smashing lads :D:thumbsup: the grub looked good... 9 people:eek: sheet! No beans for sure eh ! Still it’s good to hear that there are some places you can still leave your gear unattended with a bit of confidence:D......

Cheers all. It may seem a crowded sleeping platform, but after a few beers and / or a day in the hills, you're just glad to have a space to get your head down. Bothies are special places and long may they be there!

I used to love a bothy but now I’m a middle aged snorer with a weak bladder they are sadly no longer good for me ! I’d have to camp outside or I’d get lynched 😱

Its a good job bothy dwellers tend to be a civilised bunch or me and Smurf would be black and blue by now. I'm led to believe I snore anyway (I'll believe it when I hear it...) :rolleyes: but getting on the outside of a box of rouge pretty much guarantee it. :eek:

Smurf.... he runs the diesels as soon as his head hits the pillow with or without. :lol:

Back