• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A walk round the lake.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
A low pale sun and wind driven clouds today, but it's dry and I've not been to the wood for a few days, so Haversack, camera and a wander round the lake was the plan.
For the last few days I've heard a monotonous droning sound coming from the direction of the lake, so dismissing the possibility that some Politicians had become stranded down there, I took the path through the wood towards the lake.
DSCF6451.JPG

A Reed Cutter. A strange little craft that whirrs it's way around the lake, long under water arms cutting the Reed off short, the one man Operator in his little canvas cabin no doubt stocked up with tea and sandwiches for the day.
DSCF6452.JPG

This is one of those happy occasions when Man works with Nature to achieve the best results. The Reeds grow speedily in these lakes and would in a very short time choke them. The Fish, wild Fowl and wide variety of plants that grow here would soon be lost. Reed nesting birds would find it suited them but the Water Fowl need open water to feed, as do the fish, so controlling the Reeds benefits all, and a good sized area will be left uncut for shelter and nesting.
DSCF6453.JPG

Down past the old Boat House. In a more elegant era the ladies who went in the Skiffs and Rowing Boats onto the lake, could disembark from the boats easily onto a sheltered landing stage, rather than scramble up a muddy bank..
DSCF6456.JPG

DSCF6457.JPG

It seems the Halloween creature who made a break for freedom into the woods never managed to get very far. Now it is being devoured by Squirrels who seem unable to believe their luck in finding such a feast.

DSCF6483.JPG
DSCF6487.JPG

The fluffy grey Cygnets of a few months ago and now show just the odd juvenile coloured feather.
DSCF6458.JPG

Mother and Father like almost all wild creatures have now parted from their young and taken up residence on a lower lake.
DSCF6473.JPG

The wind roars through the woods like an Express Train and the paths are almost lost under the leaf fall. Almost Midday and the pale sun is low in the sky and the shelter of a Hedge thick with Old Man's Beard is a welcome place to pause on my walk.
DSCF6478.JPG

A few late Blackberries, I tried one but the sweet taste of the Summer berries has gone, so the Birds and other creatures are welcome to these.
DSCF6461.JPG

Just a few splashes of colour where the sunlight is still warm. A rather wind battered Knapweed.
DSCF6464.JPG

But even on the dullest day the golden glow of Gorse bushes..
DSCF6463.JPG

The Sloe Berries still cling to the higher branches out of the reach of the berry pickers and home brewers of Sloe Gin...
DSCF6474.JPG

DSCF6475.JPG

Exploring deeper into the wood i came across part of the boundary wall of the Great House of Centuries past. Overgrown now and some of the old roofing slates from the long closed local Welsh Slate mine are still scattered in the undergrowth.
DSCF6480.JPG

DSCF6481.JPG

I also discovered this large bone which is relatively unusual because I know that Cattle are well documented on farms these days. Milk yields, Vet's attention, treatments etc: The Cattle are all numbered and coded, so to find Bovine bones in a secluded wood is I think quite unusual, Sheep bones Yes, but I don't recall ever finding bones of this size before.
DSCF6468.JPG

Walking home the wind is chasing ripples across the lake and in the distance is the thunder of the seas on the beach.
DSCF6470.JPG
DSCF6462.JPG

Nearly home and the lake water stirred up by the Reed Cutter is settled here, I can see the bottom at about 5 feet here by the path.
DSCF6482.JPG

Home now and the kettle is on...
party0021.gif

Attachments

• DSCF6483.JPG
    DSCF6483.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCF6470.JPG
    DSCF6470.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Fantastic as per Sax, looks like you had a good day stooging around in the woods. Some lovely phots mate, thank you.

A low pale sun and wind driven clouds today, but it's dry and I've not been to the wood for a few days, so Haversack, camera and a wander round the lake was the plan.
For the last few days I've heard a monotonous droning sound coming from the direction of the lake, so dismissing the possibility that some Politicians had become stranded down there, I took the path through the wood towards the lake.View attachment 23169
A Reed Cutter. A strange little craft that whirrs it's way around the lake, long under water arms cutting the Reed off short, the one man Operator in his little canvas cabin no doubt stocked up with tea and sandwiches for the day.
View attachment 23174

This is one of those happy occasions when Man works with Nature to achieve the best results. The Reeds grow speedily in these lakes and would in a very short time choke them. The Fish, wild Fowl and wide variety of plants that grow here would soon be lost. Reed nesting birds would find it suited them but the Water Fowl need open water to feed, as do the fish, so controlling the Reeds benefits all, and a good sized area will be left uncut for shelter and nesting.
View attachment 23175
Down past the old Boat House. In a more elegant era the ladies who went in the Skiffs and Rowing Boats onto the lake, could disembark from the boats easily onto a sheltered landing stage, rather than scramble up a muddy bank..
View attachment 23176
View attachment 23177
It seems the Halloween creature who made a break for freedom into the woods never managed to get very far. Now it is being devoured by Squirrels who seem unable to believe their luck in finding such a feast.

View attachment 23178View attachment 23179

The fluffy grey Cygnets of a few months ago and now show just the odd juvenile coloured feather.
View attachment 23180

Mother and Father like almost all wild creatures have now parted from their young and taken up residence on a lower lake.
View attachment 23181

The wind roars through the woods like an Express Train and the paths are almost lost under the leaf fall. Almost Midday and the pale sun is low in the sky and the shelter of a Hedge thick with Old Man's Beard is a welcome place to pause on my walk.
View attachment 23182

A few late Blackberries, I tried one but the sweet taste of the Summer berries has gone, so the Birds and other creatures are welcome to these.
View attachment 23183

Just a few splashes of colour where the sunlight is still warm. A rather wind battered Knapweed.
View attachment 23185

But even on the dullest day the golden glow of Gorse bushes..
View attachment 23186

The Sloe Berries still cling to the higher branches out of the reach of the berry pickers and home brewers of Sloe Gin...
View attachment 23187
View attachment 23188

Exploring deeper into the wood i came across part of the boundary wall of the Great House of Centuries past. Overgrown now and some of the old roofing slates from the long closed local Welsh Slate mine are still scattered in the undergrowth.
View attachment 23189
View attachment 23190

I also discovered this large bone which is relatively unusual because I know that Cattle are well documented on farms these days. Milk yields, Vet's attention, treatments etc: The Cattle are all numbered and coded, so to find Bovine bones in a secluded wood is I think quite unusual, Sheep bones Yes, but I don't recall ever finding bones of this size before.
View attachment 23191
Walking home the wind is chasing ripples across the lake and in the distance is the thunder of the seas on the beach.
View attachment 23192View attachment 23193

Nearly home and the lake water stirred up by the Reed Cutter is settled here, I can see the bottom at about 5 feet here by the path.
View attachment 23194

Home now and the kettle is on...
party0021.gif
What a great little story and pics. Ive never seen a reed cutter before! Sax, that looks a truly beautiful spot you've got there. The lake must be freshwater, but do the tides ever flush it with brine?

In your pic the waves appear to lap quite close to the lake (is that just a perspective thing?)

The old bone was fascinating. If not a cow, could it be a wild species? What else lives in the bush around there? Pigs? Large Deer? It looks like one of the tasty bones the Boy treasures. Maybe somebody gave it to their doggo?

Love the clarity of that lake water...Enjoy that cuppa and thanks for sharing...

Alan

Lovely pictures and write up Sax.....that lake is begging to be magnet fished :)

Thanks for sharing.

" The lake must be freshwater, but do the tides ever flush it with brine? "

There are 3 natural freshwater lakes here Alan. Since the 1600's when the area became the country estate of a rich family, man made alterations to the lakes have been made, although I'm glad to say not to the detriment of the natural beauty.
Once, the Iron Age people lived on the high ground overlooking the lakes, there is a memorial built on their old village settlement site. They would have fished the lakes and hunted the surrounding forest and possibly traded with people who came to the nearby beach by boat.
DSCF6212.JPG

The lakes have always drained into the sea, and still today on an extremely high tide the sea reaches the very end of the Southern lake, but since the 1700's a 'Spillway' has been in place which reduces the effects of the salt water ingress. I took these photos from the little wooden bridge over the Spillway, looking towards the lake and looking seaward. The narrow arm of the sea fills on a normal high tide but very rarely runs through the Spillway into the lake beyond.
DSCF6126.JPG

DSCF6127.JPG

This bridge was built in the 1700's to allow access to Estate farmland on the other side of the Northern lake.
DSCF5453.JPG

At the lower end of that lake is another bridge but constructed in 1790 to also have a Dam effect to control water flow into the seaward lake, which is on the right of the photo.
DSCF6122.JPG

As for the bone, I am confident it wasn't from a wild animal, I know from experience even our largest Deer, the Red Deer, do not have leg bones of that girth and there are none in this part of Wales. It could have been carried there by a Fox if he stole it from elsewhere I suppose, but a domestic Doggie would have been well off the beaten track if it was something he had been given. This is Dairy Cattle country though with farms adjoining the surrounding woodland.

Some friends had a part of Cannock Chase they owned with two lakes. They had a problem with reed growth and had a reciprocating blade contraption bolted to the front of an old wooden "landing craft" type boat. We used to drive it into the reeds to cut them and then collect them on to the banks. Hard work but it cleared the lake.

Sax, thanks for that detailed geographic/historic description. I love to hear it, and love that people care enough to be attuned to and knowledgeable about their natural environment and its history. Just one more question. What is the place called? Id like to look at it on a map to connect the dots...

With all the bullshit in the world at the moment its a relief to look at pics of a squirrel foraging...😊

Alan

Reactions: Bam
I'm not very 'Tech' minded Alan..( Be quiet you lot..stop giggling ) but I do know that Google Maps Satellite view shows this area well. Look at Stackpole Park uk. The nearest Town to me is Pembroke, near Milford Haven, in South West Wales.

I'm not very 'Tech' minded Alan..( Be quiet you lot..stop giggling ) but I do know that Google Maps Satellite view shows this area well. Look at Stackpole Park uk. The nearest Town to me is Pembroke, near Milford Haven, in South West Wales.
Sax

I just had a squint at Stackpole Park on Google Earth. It looks a wonderful district. I recognised the ponds/lakes and the tidal inlet below, and the woodland walks and adjacent national trust property. My wife came across and stood behind me as I examined the area. She was very keen we visit one day if travel ever resumes between our hemispheres.

Very pleased I checked it out. I had no idea Pembroke was in Wales. Now I know. And it looks like we’ve missed out on a lot on our previous trips to UK.

Many thanks

Alan

Back