• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A walk to the Lake.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
The weather here today is very Spring like, it is also one of my 'Training Days'.... 😄 But a change from a walk down the relatively smooth surface of the Lane was scheduled, so a visit to the Lake was the order of the day.

I hear on the news of the bad flooding in other areas, mainly North and East of where I live, but as the land drains and the Rivers and Streams fill we see the effects here a little later. And so it is at the moment, the water in the Lake is very high and a light chocolate brown colour too.
DSC00312.JPG

When the Sun came from behind the scattered cloud and the sky turned blue, the Lake reflected the change.
DSC00314.JPG

DSC00313.JPG

My planned route had to be amended due to the Lake overflowing the path in places.
DSC00315.JPG

Some of the lakeside trees have wet feet...
DSC00316.JPG

The route home was a little more difficult than planned, it's quite difficult walking 'Cross Country' at the moment as it's all about weight transfer to different leg muscles and feels unstable under foot, especially as here on an incline.
DSC00317.JPG

Looking on the bright side, they said 9 weeks before I would walk with the help of leg braces, but it's now 8 weeks and I've been to the Lake with just one walking stick, so no reason for me to complain. It's a beautiful sunny day too 😀

Good effort indeed....if not a little foolhardy Sax......especially in those conditions and over that terrain.
Would only take one nasty slip to see you back to square one again.
Go carful mate.....and at least use a pair of walking poles :D

We would all hate to see you on your arse again :(

I'm reminded of advice that I've heard given to people in the past.

“There are only two options: Make progress or make excuses.”

So I progress, but only with small steps that I know I can manage. 👍
You're big enough and ugly enough to make your own calls mate. Despite being a lazy fecker by nature myself, I can be like a dug with a bone when inclined so I get it but it will all still be there in a month or two. You're your own man and will do your thing Sax but just think of the "I told you so's" from the family if you do take a tumble, its something that you and they can probably do without.

As ever though, I do look forward to your phots from your trips mate.

There are only two options: Make progress or make excuses.”

Oh while I mind, that's pish, 2 options.... nah, there's always way more options than that, that's the kind of guff that people come out with to justify doing what they wanted to do anyway. Polarise it and make one option seem more attractive.... '"Tis a noble thing I do....".

“There are only two options: Make progress or make excuses.”

"Youngsters" eghh :rolleyes: ^^^^^^^^........you just cant get through to them :D

It's something that I've often seen in ex forces guys, most seem to need a certain level of adrenaline and freedom in their lives...by the standard of most adrenaline junkies a walk to the lake on duff knees is quite mild.
What I will say is that after a shoulder injury a few years back I pushed my recovery and in doing so did permanent damage.
I've got to admit that the "I told you so" and "nobody to blame but yourself" comments soon wear thin when it's bad.

I know that you're joking Bill but he has been known to climb up the occasional mountain and remains as active as he can. A lot of Ruperts end up as tree surgeons just for the buzz of doing a slightly scary outdoors job, rope handling, problem solving and making a good living until the pension kicks in.

Glad to see you making such progress Sax, but as others have said don't overdo it! Very interested to see the evidence of heavy rainfall in your local lakes and waterways. Fascinating description as always...

Cheers

Alan

Back