• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A walk with history

Forager

Slightly Addicted
This morning I ventured out in my local town of Bishop Auckland. My first stop was Auckland Castle built in 12th century. In 1832 it became the official residence for the Bishops of Durham.
I have also took a few pictures of the castle park grounds.
Rf60f7d6909e44aea72193042771bc378.jpeg
20210325_105728.jpg
20210325_105718.jpg
20210325_105908.jpg

The next pictures are of Auckland Castle Deer House which are located in the castle and park grounds. The deer house is gothic and was built in 1760 to shelter deer and somewhere to feed.
20210325_110602.jpg
20210325_110337.jpg
20210325_110534.jpg

After visiting the Deer House I ventured further into the park and finally coming out on the Auckland Way Railway Path. In 1885 NER opened the route between Byers Green and Bishop Auckland. The line was used by passengers. When in operation it formed a link between Bishop Auckland and Cornforth, connecting the Darlington to Bishop Auckland line.
Which is now the main East coast route and was closed in 1939.
20210325_114108.jpg
20210325_114605.jpg
20210325_114735.jpg
20210325_114804.jpg
20210325_115126.jpg

Enjoyed that forager 👍🏻 Looks a cracking place for a walk, full of history

we have something similar here called Drummond estate, shamed to admit I’ve only been once, must rectify that in the near future 👍🏻

thanks for sharing

Last edited:
" Enjoyed that sax "

Not guilty Mark, that was Forager's interesting post.. I'm about 300+ miles to the South. :)

It's comforting to see such buildings so well preserved, too many fall into ruin. I think the Deer House is a good match for the original Castle, the builders/ Architect did well.
Those old railway line paths always interest me, especially the Bridges. Stand underneath and look up and see the smoke blackening from 80 odd years ago still staining the stonework. Great Post Forager. :thumbsup:

" Enjoyed that sax "

Not guilty Mark, that was Forager's interesting post.. I'm about 300+ miles to the South. :)

It's comforting to see such buildings so well preserved, too many fall into ruin. I think the Deer House is a good match for the original Castle, the builders/ Architect did well.
Those old railway line paths always interest me, especially the Bridges. Stand underneath and look up and see the smoke blackening from 80 odd years ago still staining the stonework. Great Post Forager. :thumbsup:
Hi Sax thanks for the nice comments. I love the architecture of old railway bridges.

" Enjoyed that sax "

Where’s my reading glasses 😂😂

This morning I ventured out in my local town of Bishop Auckland. My first stop was Auckland Castle built in 12th century. In 1832 it became the official residence for the Bishops of Durham.
I have also took a few pictures of the castle park grounds.
View attachment 32006View attachment 32007View attachment 32008View attachment 32009
The next pictures are of Auckland Castle Deer House which are located in the castle and park grounds. The deer house is gothic and was built in 1760 to shelter deer and somewhere to feed.
View attachment 32010View attachment 32011View attachment 32012
After visiting the Deer House I ventured further into the park and finally coming out on the Auckland Way Railway Path. In 1885 NER opened the route between Byers Green and Bishop Auckland. The line was used by passengers. When in operation it formed a link between Bishop Auckland and Cornforth, connecting the Darlington to Bishop Auckland line.
Which is now the main East coast route and was closed in 1939.
View attachment 32013View attachment 32014View attachment 32015View attachment 32016View attachment 32017
Beautiful place, I'm also surprised and impressed at how little litter there is...the volunteers and staff are doing a great job of looking after the place.

Thanks for the nice comments, the castle park grounds are always immaculate but the gates are locked at 6pm and are open again at 10am.
This helps with vandles.

Looks like an interesting place to explore.
I've added this post to the FB group. If anyone uses FB please share the group and invite others.

Back