• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A wee overnighter

Bam

Extremely Addicted
In a tragic attempt to delay unpacking I thought I'd put up a few phots for last nights camp. The missus dropped me off about 6 for the 20 minute walk in, I had one of the dugs with me as he hates being left behind. We pass a big pond on the way in so Bam was 'hands to bath' which took him several hours to dry off.

IMG_20190921_181341.jpg

I got to the usual spot and set up the simple 'go to' shelter, nice and simple.

IMG_20190921_183254.jpg

IMG_20190921_184736.jpg

Unfortunately the phot of the tarp set up was too big but you get the point, I had a bed for Bam too, it was a warm night so I was just in a blanket and he had his by now dry fur (although being a big sook, he did cuddle in a bit).

Then it was time to sort scran, after my vitamin T of course......

IMG_20190921_190405.jpg

I didn't hang around as its getting dark before 8 now so a simple ground fire.

IMG_20190921_193438.jpg

Was having steak, shallow fried diced tatties and mushrooms and onion in balsamic vinegar, I wasn't getting enough heat to crisp the tatties unfortunately so cheated by breaking out a meths pot.

IMG_20190921_204636.jpg

IMG_20190921_210711.jpg

Plenty of rouge to wash it all down with natch.

IMG_20190921_211444.jpg

Then just sat chilling with the fire and the loud mouth soup. Bam was coming in for a head rub from time to time but he's not a fan of fires. There were still some mozzies about unfortunately so I got a few bites, some idiot forgot to bring the bloody Smidge.....

In the morning we didn't bother with coffee although I put out some scran for Bam he wasn't bothered so we packed up and headed out, I'd arranged with the missus that we'd be out sharpish as she was bringing the other mutt and we'd take them out to another wood for a good walk. Bam was full of beans on the walk out, had a dip again and managed to find a stick to play with.

20181004_091107.jpg

A nice relaxed night away, mozzies aside and good to just get out and recharge the batteries. Anyhoo, that bag ain't gonna unpack itself.

In a tragic attempt to delay unpacking I thought I'd put up a few phots for last nights camp. The missus dropped me off about 6 for the 20 minute walk in, I had one of the dugs with me as he hates being left behind. We pass a big pond on the way in so Bam was 'hands to bath' which took him several hours to dry off.

View attachment 19189

I got to the usual spot and set up the simple 'go to' shelter, nice and simple.

View attachment 19190

View attachment 19191

Unfortunately the phot of the tarp set up was too big but you get the point, I had a bed for Bam too, it was a warm night so I was just in a blanket and he had his by now dry fur (although being a big sook, he did cuddle in a bit).

Then it was time to sort scran, after my vitamin T of course......

View attachment 19192

I didn't hang around as its getting dark before 8 now so a simple ground fire.

View attachment 19193

Was having steak, shallow fried diced tatties and mushrooms and onion in balsamic vinegar, I wasn't getting enough heat to crisp the tatties unfortunately so cheated by breaking out a meths pot.

View attachment 19194

View attachment 19196

Plenty of rouge to wash it all down with natch.

View attachment 19197

Then just sat chilling with the fire and the loud mouth soup. Bam was coming in for a head rub from time to time but he's not a fan of fires. There were still some mozzies about unfortunately so I got a few bites, some idiot forgot to bring the bloody Smidge.....

In the morning we didn't bother with coffee although I put out some scran for Bam he wasn't bothered so we packed up and headed out, I'd arranged with the missus that we'd be out sharpish as she was bringing the other mutt and we'd take them out to another wood for a good walk. Bam was full of beans on the walk out, had a dip again and managed to find a stick to play with.

View attachment 19198

A nice relaxed night away, mozzies aside and good to just get out and recharge the batteries. Anyhoo, that bag ain't gonna unpack itself.
Sounds good Bam, there's nothing quite like having a dog with you for company in the woods at night. I think back to all the times my old Mollie dog shared my sleeping bag. I really miss that old girl

He hates getting left behind but sometimes I have to depending on where we're going. When he see's me packing my bag he knows I'm up to something so sticks to me. His sister doesn't move from the sofa. 🤣

Unfortunately Joe, he's a bit to big to share a sleeping bag and I get the fear for my air mat when he cuddles in. Its great having him with me though, he's very much daddy's boy.

Lazy is just a word to describe deep though and a methodical approach to things. Well that’s what I tell myself :D

I'm not sure mate, I don't believe for one second that Tibetan monks are more studious and thoughtful, I reckon they saw the poor buggers who had to lug hoofin' big rucksacks up Everest and went "MUUUUUUUM, wheres that copy of the Tripitaka you used to keep in the bog". :lol:

I've got to fess up, I am a lazy b'stard though, if you want a second opinion, ask the missus. :whistle: I'd like to say I'm ashamed but, I'm that lazy, I can't be arsed. ;)

Thought I'd tag it on this old thread rather than start a new one for what was a very similar trip. Had a wee overnighter with Bam (4 legs) last night. Took the lavvu in as Bam gets a better kip in it and it is a lot cooler than a tarp. It does weigh a good bit more unfortunately. I went the 'crap' way in, mostly sticking to the main paths to avoid the swan pond that Bam can't resist but its about the same time, its roughly 20-25 mins of a schlep in so you can pack heavy with life's little luxuries. :) We got in about 3 so there was enough light to set up and I wandered off with a handsaw and kukri to process some extra wood, I'd brought in 5kg of charcoal too.

Here's the set up.

IMG_20200104_152955.jpg

IMG_20200104_172045.jpg

Got the fire on at the back of 4, I cheated with a firelog to start, saves dicking about and got scran on. I'd originally planned on using the open fire but realised that it was going to take a while for it to become coals so went with plan Bravo and flashed up the meths pot. Scran was pretty basic, I normally enjoy the prepping of it all but went with a cheap tin of chilli although I had a load of dried veg to add to it so put the veg in to hydrate then thought I'd get smart so added more water and rice for some one pot cooking then added the contents of the tin. Worked pretty well to be honest and saved my other pot for breakfast.

I sat and chilled with my rouge and the fire while Bam couldn't make his mind up if it was bed time or time for a wee wander about.

IMG_20200104_205959.jpg

IMG_20200104_190451.jpg

Got a relatively early night, must have speared in by about 11 after a relaxing night, slept through to after 7 when I was spat out for a pee then back in for another couple of hours proper kipping. Braw. Got up and had a coffee while getting pestered by an annoying dug wanting clapped.

IMG_20200105_100629.jpg

Then a whatsapp message from the missus (the only thing that gets through at the spot usually) who was equally annoying, she'd preempted my departure and was chasing me to meet her at the car park. A quick pack up and a wander out to meet the missus and Bam's sister T dawg (Tara is her sunday name). I've still to unpack the bag too......

Its just great getting away, much as I love getting away with others, I appreciate my 'one man and his dug' trips too.

Back