• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A wee overnighter

Thanks for that Bram. I think I know the answer, but that little table? Would you miss it? I mean, is it worth the bother of packing it in on a trip? I've never used one but quite often wish I had one in my kit. Shall I raid the Piggy Bank or not?..:D

Thanks for that Bram. I think I know the answer, but that little table? Would you miss it? I mean, is it worth the bother of packing it in on a trip? I've never used one but quite often wish I had one in my kit. Shall I raid the Piggy Bank or not?..:D

I find it that bit easier than doing stuff on the ground or trying to balance stuff on stones etc., especially as I'm now in my 50's and making more noises etc as I get to my feet. It folds down pretty small and doesn't weigh much. I'll dig out a link for you mate.

Yellowstone Backpacker Table: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

No pictures of it folded up unfortunately so here's a link to something that looks VERY similar, its got pictures of it folded up. Hope that helps mate.

Thanks Bam, at that price it's got to be worth a try. I might as well start 2020 properly...buying outdoor kit...:lol:

If you use it half a dozen times then its money well spent mate. About the only thing I don't take it for is 'serious' hill walks where even this pack horse tries to cut down the weight.

Looks good and cosy - It is great to get some solo time chilling in the woods

I did the fire against that old stone dyke again, it worked well although I'm not sure we could do it when things are drier, the prevailing wind was blowing sparks into the plantation. I've left a couple K's of charcoal for another time mate. Feel free to use it if you're there before me.

Had another night at 'my local' last night, went with a guy who has an allotment along from us, he's a keen camper himself although I think the correct term is pyromaniac. :rofl: An uneventful walk in, both dugs couldn't resist the swan loch. A quick set up of the usual 'A' tarp between 2 convenient trees then time to gather wood.

We prepped a fair bit of wood and I said to my mate that I preferred to get it all done before I started drinking, he had a different approach and planned on adding to the pile as the night was going on. It all started off ok....

IMG_20200125_170828.jpg

But it wasn't too long before we ended up with this.

IMG_20200125_223107.jpg

I went to my kip at the back of 11 but he was up to four and not content with the one fire, he headed off into the woods to start another.... :eek:

A leisurely breakfast, I had the remains of last nights bacon grill stovies, braw. Before a stroll out.

IMG_20200125_160455.jpg

That's it for the phots, the rest are too large. Not as chilled as I normally have it with the constant building and feeding the fire but it was still good to get out, back there next weekend with the Smurfmeister so a more restrained pyromaniac then. :p

So then Bam🤭.........do you think that your buddy has earned his "Firelighting Badge"...........or would you say its still work in progress at the moment?? :thumbsdown::D
The ground looks fairly dry.....so guessing the weather was not too bad.
Looking at the picture of the track.....it looks like a nice area to hide away in :thumbsup:

Nice one me dear.........roll on the next trip :thumbsup:

Was back in last night with Smurf for a wee catch up and sort out the plans for the Galloway trip. I was on dinner duty and had the makings of a mutter paneer curry. We got the shelter up and went on a wee forage for wood, I'd spotted some on the walk in. Then on to scran... I was using a set up generously gifted to me by Aquilosdad (thanks again Steve), its lighter than my other one.

IMG_20200201_182259.jpg

Onions on to soften then the paneer to brown it a bit then the spices.

IMG_20200201_184305.jpg

Add the 'shrooms, chilli, garlic, stock cube, passata and peas. I cheated and added a bit of extra water and threw the rice in with it all to save a pot getting dirty.

IMG_20200201_191534.jpg

A few roti's on the side.....

IMG_20200201_192319.jpg

IMG_20200201_193445.jpg

Although I say it myself, it was one of my best open fire curries, a bit nippy for Smurf unfortunately but spot on for me. Plenty left for the fridge too.

Even though I keep ending up at the same spot, I'm cool with it, at least I'm out there and being sat round a fire with a mate and a wee drinkipoo is the best place in the world. Roll on a few hours and we woke to fairly heavy rain. Normally we'd have done breakfast under the tarp, the set up we use is big enough normally but I had a big daft dug with me and the dug/meths cross contamination wasn't worth the risk so we didn't even bother with coffee, packed up and headed out. On the brightside, Smurf did provide a breakfast and I had zero complaints......

IMG_20200202_114507.jpg

The breakfast (well brunch) of champions. :)

Hopefully back in next week with Aquilosdad, you can never have too much of a good thing.

Back