• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A wee practice at Loch Doon

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
My wife, son and I went down to Loch Doon yesterday for a little practice prior to doing an overnight camp later this week.

We got to the spot I had identified on Google Maps and slodged (newly invented word for trudging through boggy marshy ground) up to the wooded area. We spent about an hour walking the area and picked a few spots for future visits.

I stupidly decided that we'd put the enormo-tarp up near the summit of a hill with the aid of a tree and a basha pole creating a sail-like problem and ripping off one of the corners of the tarp. (6x4m btw, another daft decision)
Abandoning that idea we draped the tarp over a tree bough pinned to the ground and created a sort of tent shelter. My son built a fire with the aid of his fire-steel and we cooked some mince and boiled some water for drinks.

All in all a great wee afternoon but it did highlight some of the issues with the enormo-tarp decision and made me decide to get some suitable containment for my bungees as I don't like everything getting into a fankle in my rucksack.

All clear on the tick-checks later too thankfully :)

IMG_4832.jpg IMG_4842.jpg

I stitched together some panorama shots also.
Yes, the area is pretty exposed. I think we'll get further into the treeline next time.
IMG_4842_stitch.jpg IMG_4846_stitch.jpg IMG_4863_stitch.jpg IMG_4869_stitch.jpg

Hi Gizmo.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us mate.
Sorry to hear you had a problem with the tarp.
Just a thought......you could store your ridge line and bungees inside the tarp when you roll it up to put away.
If you get caught out again with the tarp, just tie a knot in the offending corner or wrap a pebble in the corner and then tie off.

Bound to get the odd niggle here and there with kit.

Nice pictures too.....good luck on your next outing:thumbsup:

Thankfully too early in the season, too cold and too windy for midges. I had the nets and spray with me anyway. Better to be prepared :)

Thanks for the advice Willie. That's a tip I'll keep!

Practice is good & if you are anything like me (& my 50 year old brain) you will always learn something from every little trip you go on.
Keep it up matey !

Back