• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A World Without Oil. Video.

Keith

Very Addicted

Some interesting information in this video. I have not quite finished watching it yet, but so far quite watchable. Also confirms what some members on this forum have said will happen.
Keith.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
well its got to happen some day, the black stuff is finite, a bit like a lot of other stuff, its got to run out one day, before that happens it will get too expensive to extract it and refine it compared to what they would get back in sales, that's why they are mining tar sands so it probably getting to that stage already but of course they wont make that be known publically.
China and India are using more and more of the stuff as people pander to a western lifestyle.
peak oil happened quite a few years ago, we are on the downward slope now.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
When I studied Environmental Science the estimate for oil expectancy was around 33 years, apparently it is now 60 years as we find more and more cunning ways to extract it.

John Seymour's book Retrieved From The Future outlines what I suspect is the most likely end of oil scenario. I thoroughly recommend it, if you can find a copy.

lonewolf

the point about oil is that it is finite, it was put down over millions of years and once its gone its gone, there wont be any more in our lifetimes.
as preppers we should really think about life AFTER oil, it may happen sooner than we think as all governments lie about how much reserves there are.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
I seem to recall Dutch Royal Shell taking something of a knock a decade or so ago as they has exaggerated the accessible amount of oil in their reserves.

I suspect oil derived products and fuels will gradually become more expensive as oil availability decreases, and then only the wealthier will have petrol/diesel cars and plastic based products. We could certainly revert to a Victorian style of society on the way down but, of course, most of our mines are flooded so we probably will not be coal driven either.

lonewolf

The Saudi's have been known to lie about how much oil reserves they have for political reasons, i'm sure others do too.
I don't know that a life without out would be so bad, at least it would stop companies selling stuff in all that non recyclable plastic so it would have at least one good result.
living a more natural life is something I aspire to.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Well m8, you know my ideal life would as per "tales from the green valley" so, as long as we get through the famine and refugee stage life could be rather good :)

lonewolf

Well m8, you know my ideal life would as per "tales from the green valley" so, as long as we get through the famine and refugee stage life could be rather good :)
yes "tales from the green valley" have always been my example of how we would be living in the years after SHTF.

lonewolf

having that Ruth Goodman in ones group post SHTF would be a plus, the things she knows would be very useful to anyone.

lonewolf

the writer Vernon Coleman reckoned as far back as 2004 that there would be Oil wars as the reserves got less and less and that anything left would be appropriated by the US military for their use- which sort of makes sense.

lonewolf

printed in 1996 so its a bit dated I expect but it will give an idea of thoughts of the time, and John Seymour makes enjoyable reading.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
printed in 1996 so its a bit dated I expect but it will give an idea of thoughts of the time, and John Seymour makes enjoyable reading.
It has aged well m8, the thinking is as relevant today as it was then.

lonewolf

we have a few of Seymour's books in our home library and they make excellent reading.
estimated delivery date for that book is 5-9th January so a little while to wait.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
That's only next week though. Please do let me know what you think of it m8 :)

Barbara

Extremely Talkative
Just finished watching this. l find it more optimistic than l am about post-oil life. l think it will be more primitive, if you like. The people in the film seemed to be trying to recreate what we have now which is not how l see things or would necessarily want it to be. l imagine a more agrarian life.

lonewolf

i think trying to hang on to an oil based lifestyle when there is no oil just isn't going to work.
people will have to adapt to the new circumstances, a case of adapt or die.

lonewolf

just try to think of all the items we use now that would not be available in a non oil age.
no petrol or diesel for a start, no deliveries to the shops especially food shops so one would need to know how to grow their own food, many cannot and wouldn't know where to start.
then their is all the plastic that are from oil derivitives, plus most fertilisers and pesticides come from the oil industry.
most machines wouldn't function without oil either to make them or to help them run.
the new world post oil is liable to be a very quiet one without all the traffic, train and aeroplane noises.