• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

About to change the motor.

Just a short update on life with the discovery.
It developed some problem which caused difficulty starting it in the morning so took it back to the dealer/garage.
They "serviced" the fuel regulator under warranty which appeared to solve the starting problem. Had a chat with the mechanic and found out they had changed the engine oil and filter and greased but had not done anything with the auto transmission. At that point the mpg was around 18!
I decided to take it to my local garage who serviced the Freelander and are well versed in Land Rovers. They had it in for a transmission oil change and filter clean etc. They also changed the air filter and the diff oils. After road testing they said it was down on power and found the wiring loom to the injectors soaked in oil which had travelled down to the ECU sockets. They changed the loom, cleaned the oil off and it was running well. Had a basic remap for economy and torque and was surprised at the difference it made.
Two days later it stopped suddenly and would not re-start. Called in AA who got it going but were not happy with it so took it to my local garage on a truck. There after some checking they found fuel pump ok but varying flow in the injector manifold. They opened the fuel regulator and found it partially blocked by excess silicon sealant used by the dealers mechanic when servicing the regulator. Pictures of the offending item and gasket are attached. Alex at Western Garage then replaced the regulator and cleaned the diesel filter in the injection manifold. It is now running better than before and seems to be better on fuel although I won't be sure until next fill up.
I went back to the dealer who did the botch job and after some "discussion" he has re-imbursed the last bill which covered the replacing of the faulty regulator. So far it has been an expensive change of vehicle but I am hoping the worst is over. I am enjoying driving it and getting used to the extra size and weight.

Bad job who ever done that silicon gasket but with a bit of luck its now sorted your problems.
Can be a Nightmare when vehicles go wrong.

Sorry to hear of your problems Dick :(
Hopefully, that will be the end of them for now and you can enjoy some trouble free motoring.
The attempt on that housing with the Silicone is a right botch up.:(
The remap will hopefully return you better mileage and performance mate.

You need to give it a good run now.....Scotland maybe :whistle:;) :D

Hi Bill, thanks, Scotland would be a nice trip but I would not be comfortable at present at that distance having had a few bad experiences.
Maybe after a few hundred problem free miles I might look to going farther afield.

Fully understand that mate.

All about renewing confidence in her again........I think we would all be the same buddy.....well.....I certainly would ;)
Onwards and upwards mate👍

Sounds like you took it to the right place Dick. Always a blessing when you can trust the garage and they come through for you 👍

Sounds like you took it to the right place Dick. Always a blessing when you can trust the garage and they come through for you 👍
Thanks Mark, they are a good outfit. Alex runs a 52 plate Discovery 2 so he knows the issues that occur. Also I am sure he hasn't charged me for all the time he's spent on it.

Back