• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Acts of human Kindness

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Today I visited my parents (its Sunday, and I was hungry), as soon as I got there I knew something was up as my dad was beaming like a lunatic.

Obviously we've been talking about next weekends a lot, he used to love camping in his youth an he's just as excited as me even though ill health will never see him under canvas again.
Anyway, he asked about you guys an what were planning on doing while we've down there and I happened to mention that a load of you fine chaps were doing some air rifle target shooting thingy stuff...ā€¦ Spot the guy who's never held an air rifle before lol!

Any ways, that was a few days ago, today he presented me with this, a relic from his youth, a gift from father to son.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404 (1).JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

You chaps probably know a lot more than me but apparently its a BSA Cadet Major from around the 1950's.
I doubt its up to modern standards and after all these years of bein tucked away in the loft probably has the power of a strong fart, but still, what an amazing gift!

And no, before you ask, Im not planning on shooting it next weekend :)
I don't even have pellets for it yet and I imagine it'll need a bit of a service :)

And no, before you ask, Im not planning on shooting it next weekend :)
I don't even have pellets for it yet and I imagine it'll need a bit of a service :)

Get some pellets and have a play mate, even indoors if you're not too confident, just make sure you have a decent backstop. For an air rifle, a thick book will do. Enjoy.

A clean of the inside of the barrel to ensure its clean and free of oil or grease (and spiders) and a wipe over the outside with a little silicone oil to shine it up. It may have a leather plunger which is improved with a little lubrication (there are modern replacement parts for this gun if you need them.) I used a tiny amount of silicone oil (non dieseling) on the seal in my Relum but there are as many opinions about products as there are products. They're really nice air guns. ..simple to work on...I hope you have a great time with it. Very happy for you.

Today I visited my parents (its Sunday, and I was hungry), as soon as I got there I knew something was up as my dad was beaming like a lunatic.

Obviously we've been talking about next weekends a lot, he used to love camping in his youth an he's just as excited as me even though ill health will never see him under canvas again.
Anyway, he asked about you guys an what were planning on doing while we've down there and I happened to mention that a load of you fine chaps were doing some air rifle target shooting thingy stuff...ā€¦ Spot the guy who's never held an air rifle before lol!

Any ways, that was a few days ago, today he presented me with this, a relic from his youth, a gift from father to son.

View attachment 18300

View attachment 18301

View attachment 18302

You chaps probably know a lot more than me but apparently its a BSA Cadet Major from around the 1950's.
I doubt its up to modern standards and after all these years of bein tucked away in the loft probably has the power of a strong fart, but still, what an amazing gift!
You lucky boy

...... It looks like im bringing this thing to the camp doesnt it....?
Best stop off at the farm shop on my way home an get some pellets!

You're a lucky bugger, all my dad ever did was borrow/confiscate mine and use up all the pellets.
My dad was the same mate. Did he use all your airfix models as target practice too? I was gutted but he said " They look more realistic now!" Barsteward as he was ā˜ŗ

Yup I feel that..... my father taught me how to make slingshots,bow and arrow along with the 4 tip spear. Then took them of me when I made them along with my gat gun and multiple knifes. Yet he wore a knife in his sock when he was playing pipe bands :evileye::rolleyes::rofl: go figure. Do as they say not as they do:lol:

Back