• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

advice and guidance for a newbe please

chilly

Slightly Talkative
hi all , have started to have a look around and read , and would like to start getting some kit after Christmas i think so will give me time to have a good look around , plus i will be on a budget and tryng to keep the cost down , so here comes the questions lol

i think i would like to get a small light weight tent and a dd tarp to make up my living and sleeping arrangements
does this small tent look suitable Gelert Mongoose 2 Man / Person Camping Tent - Green / Black - Gelert - Camping, Hiking & Country Sports - Camping Tents & Accessories - 2 Person Camping Tents - Charlies Direct my thoughts are i can pitch it under the tarp so got living space and can jump in the tent to sleep , prob be 2 men and a dog lol

and a dd tarp but not sure on size

also ive been looking at the army surpluss sleeping bags but not sure what to go for there , any suggestions appreciated as to which or any other reasonable priced ones that are up to the job

also any ideas on clothing is any of the army surpluss stuff any good ?

any other suggestions welcome please

the tent looks ideal for what you will need mate .....

tarp size id go for a 3mtrx4mtr....gives you plenty of room under it (also big enought to cover a hammock if you decide to go that way in the future)

sleeping bags....... ex army bags are a good start ..the only prob with them is they generaly dont pack down very small..also it depends on what time of the year you plan on getting out....my advise is to get the warmest bag you can find like this ..
ARMY/MILITARY DUTCH ARTIC SLEEPING BAG GRADE 1 | eBay

you will also need a rollmat.....

ex army clothing is a good start...but if you look around at some of the outdoors places/retailers you can pick up a few good bargains

yea i looked at that kind havent seen the bivy bag for them tho

have you got ant links to good stores to have look thro

yea i looked at that kind havent seen the bivy bag for them tho

have you got ant links to good stores to have look thro

we have quite a few linc,s in the linc section of this forum mate (at the top under the u)

ye the tent looks good mate. agree with matt 3x4 metre is minimum size id go for, for the purposes of having a living space underneath it. as for surplus stuff, havent got any so i couldnt say first hand but have never heard bad stuff about it. our boys use it for a reason

ye the tent looks good mate. agree with matt 3x4 metre is minimum size id go for, for the purposes of having a living space underneath it. as for surplus stuff, havent got any so i couldnt say first hand but have never heard bad stuff about it. our boys use it for a reason

yea i suppose your right lol will have a look around for a good sleeping bag before i decide any thing , would like to keep the pack size small and mobile if i can , as with time i would like to try to go further afield if possible , plus it leaves more room for other things like food lol

Hello there,

I have a Solo tent which is the Mongoose 2's little brother and can be picked up online for between £15 and £30. I have also borrowed a mates Mongoose a couple of times and have a pretty good feel for it.

They are both good tents. Both pack down fairly small and are pretty light to carry (although the poles on the Mongoose are considerable heavier than the solo, making it almost twice the weight, nearly 3KGs). They are fairly idiot proof on the pitching front and once you've had a few goes pitching them, you should be able to get one up before you've boiled up a brew. And once up, they can take a bit of a battering from the element. In my experience both are very waterproof, despite the very low hydrostatic head (1500). The only real downside to these tents is when it is blowing a gale, if you haven't pitched the outer fly as close to the ground as you can, you will get very cold, very quickly. This is something that all tent of this design suffer from, I've also had a Banshee 200 in my time and experienced the same deal.

But that aside, cracking tents.

The main difference between the Solo and the Mongoose 2 is the obvious one, the size. You can actually sit upright and do stuff inside a Mongoose (you actually get more headroom in one, than a Banshee 200), but all you can do with a Solo is crawl in, roll over and sleep.

The main reason I have favoured a Solo over a Mongoose 2 is, prefer to walk until I'm ready to drop, pitch, cook, kip then carry on walking in the morning. If you are intending to do something similar, then at under 1.5 kgs the solo might be for you. If however you are intending to camp in the same spot for a couple of days (or just over night, but with a bit of elbow room) then I would go for the Mongoose 2 as it is pretty palatial compare to the solo.

The important thing when buying a tent is making sure you get one that is best suited to how you intend to use it. The other thing I must say about tents is, as far as your budget will allow, go for quality. Both the Solo and the Mongoose 2 are cheap end of the tent spectrum, their low cost means they have a low hydrostatic head at 1500 (the recommended minimum HH for GB is 2000) and heavy poles. If you are on a tight budget, they will do, if you have a bit more flexibility, look at a Vang and if you have a lot of flexibility look at Force Ten, a Terra Nova or a Hilleberg (there are other brands, but listing them will make me cry).

Like you intend to do, I have also always carried some for of tarp, to ensure I have a little living/cooking/relaxing area even when the weather is bad.

There is not much I can add to what has already been said, so I will just reiterate the point that, if you are going to buy a tarp, a proper tarp, you are going to be looking at spending at least £30 on one. If you are on a budget, which I believe you are, then like with tent, have a good think about how you intend to use it, but also do think about how else it may be used e.g. possibly with a hammock. You are set on ground dwelling at the moment and plan to use the tarp mainly as I use mine, fair enough, but if your fancy has ever been gently tickled by the thought of swinging (... in a hammock) then as has already been said, get a tarp big enough to be useful in both scenarios.

I could say something about surplus gear (and I will later) but I need a nicotine infusion now, so I'm going to leave it here for now.

Hopefully my waffle proves useful.

Atb.

Colin

thanks for the reply mate vary help full , there is some flexibility with the cost and better to pay more and spend once i think , i get what you are saying about the wind and the tent can see now on a pic that there is no ground sheet going out to the outer skin of the tent , will have a look at some of the other brands now

like you say will be worth paying the extra for a good tarp 2 , would like to get a reasonably large one to make a decent living area as well as covering the tent , hoping when my little boy is older to take him on some little adventures so a decent size living area will come in good use on these times keeping the little fella dry in the day.

Just my opinion......but before you start buying loads of expensive kit and then find its not for you.....then why not just get a basha, (or as you call them a tarp), mine packs down to about 200mm x 75mm, its nice and lightweight, no need for a tent etc which is heavier and takes up more space etc, this then gives you more room for a thicker sleeping bag..............which is ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!.

Next on my list would be a thermarest (self inflating mat) pick them up rom £5 upwards, these keep you off the floor and very comfortable.

After this would be my bivvy bag, goretex is almost a must here!!!!!!! these will keep the wind chill off you and in most cases add 1 more season to your sleeping bag arrangements.....most of this gear is available very cheapley on e bay............as long as your savvy!!!!!!

I managed recently to pick up a full box of this gear including 2 self inflating mats/basha/self inflating pillow/military camo gear/tent pegs etc etc for about 30 quid posted!!!

Just my opinion......but before you start buying loads of expensive kit and then find its not for you.....then why not just get a basha, (or as you call them a tarp), mine packs down to about 200mm x 75mm, its nice and lightweight, no need for a tent etc which is heavier and takes up more space etc, this then gives you more room for a thicker sleeping bag..............which is ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!.

Next on my list would be a thermarest (self inflating mat) pick them up rom £5 upwards, these keep you off the floor and very comfortable.

After this would be my bivvy bag, goretex is almost a must here!!!!!!! these will keep the wind chill off you and in most cases add 1 more season to your sleeping bag arrangements.....most of this gear is available very cheapley on e bay............as long as your savvy!!!!!!

I managed recently to pick up a full box of this gear including 2 self inflating mats/basha/self inflating pillow/military camo gear/tent pegs etc etc for about 30 quid posted!!!

this^^^^^^^^

basha,bivvi and small stove is all you need for 1 nighters or hiking, camp anywhere,anytime

The DD hammock and tarp which is the lightweight 3x3 is more than enough I have had one since the first came out and it has done me for years sleeping out in all weathers, in a hammock a sleeping bag no matter the season don't really work you either need a gor-tex bivvy or a under blanket slung under the the hammock I found the Gor-Tex more useful, Plus get yourself some pure wool blankets they are worth thier wieght in gold, I slept in a hammock -7 with raindeer hide on the bottom and 2 wool blankets,,,,,I was frozen, No only kidding I was toasty.

Back