• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Advice for shooting permissions/ finding a place to shoot air rifles

Louis

First Post
Hi all I've just moved to Norfolk and brought along my HW98 and have just purchased a ratcatcher. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers on finding land to shoot on. I used to teach air rifle shooting at a place back in the northwest and hate that my skills are getting rusty. Some people have pointed me towards some clubs with some indoor ranges but my real passion is shooting outdoors hitting targets and pest species and putting my skills to the test. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all I've just moved to Norfolk and brought along my HW98 and have just purchased a ratcatcher. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some pointers on finding land to shoot on. I used to teach air rifle shooting at a place back in the northwest and hate that my skills are getting rusty. Some people have pointed me towards some clubs with some indoor ranges but my real passion is shooting outdoors hitting targets and pest species and putting my skills to the test. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Louis, and welcome aboard. :)

There's a good thread here about obtaining permissions: http://activeshooter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22376

Hi mate try following

Get Insurance any one considering letting you shoot will be more happy to do so ( BASC etc do it )

Get a few flyers printed advertising free pest control, pop them window in rural Post offices , Agricultural Merchants , Tack sales etc .

Your flyer can have photo of wood pigeon, rat and rabbit and state " Mature working honest and insured shooter (or shooters if you are trying with a friend ) using quiet discrete air rifle offers pest control for free. Boundaries and visiting times adhered to , Live stock respected . Pest shots in accordance to general licence conditions

At this time of the year have a drive about in country look out for rabbit infested fields , dont rule out houses with large gardens If rabbits are present and either knock on door or note address and post a flyer via Royal mail. If you knock on door dress politely , dont make wild promises about completely ridding land of pests , leave your gun at home and just point out you can reduce numbers greatly

Google pig and chicken farms in area include control of rats in your flyer and use Royal Mail.

Use your local Free adds dont bother with add in shooting section post an add under Equestrian/ agriculture and gardening section ( I got one shoot that way)

Remember its a privilege to get a shoot ( although your also carrying out a free service ) don't take the pee by inviting others unless discussed, If a shot hasnt got a safe back ground dont risk it and most of all "DONT GIVE UP". Remember quite small shoots ( Ive one of about half acre with a big warren on it and it produces plenty of rabbits )There are shoots out there its just a question of targeting
the right places .

Picture flyer i put in local free adds , got a stable shoot within two days though nothing else

Attachments

• P1010684 (640x480).jpg
    P1010684 (640x480).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Back