• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Advice please-Long term camp diet

static camp, public access, wales has almost the same rights as Scotland so that's not a problem, 300 metres from a river, so water fishing and washing covered,air tight tubs dug in the ground sounds a plan

Hi Wild.

Might be worth adding another plastic tub to dig in.............. for your valuables and tools.......... for when you have no choice to leave the base camp for any length of time :thumbsup:
Obviously, remove the spoil from the hole away from the immediate area ;)
Bury it a few meters away from your camp maybe :thumbsup:

complete change of circumstances so all on hold for immediate future, bit will still be trying all of these ideas and will still be spending a good amount of time in the woods

sauerkraut,dried meats,nuts and some starches.

And some paprika for the soup

bit of a novice electronics maker, I have 2 solar panels that charge direct 5v and also rigged up a dynamo on my bicycle that will charge my phone, so should be ok, but will definitely remember about a biolite in the future
have a look at my post about solar charger

Well always something to put a spanner in the works! I won't be going full time yet due to needing surgery. So until then it will be 4 days a week in my spot three in town, but when I recover nothing will stop me. Suppose it gives me time time to improve the shelter. Started making a wood burning stove for it anyhow.

Good luck with the surgery, I had a small hernia op last year from trying to lift stupid weights on my own....whatever you do don't push yourself afterwards.

Im sure the main thing is to balance the diet. I'm sure you know what is available to forage at certain times of year and what will be around the area you are in.
Most say flour, rice, pasta and pulses, beans of any type and yes i agree with them fully. Nuts and raisins and alike also a good idea I would also suggest some vitamins which you may not be able to source from the wild as such.
Water purification is one of the most important i reckon we can go without food for a while but not safe water.
Tree taps may be worth looking at.
As far as hygeine goes this is also very important, no point having good food and water if you are rotting away.
I would also suggest if you are totally going wild...some dental emergency kit (toofi pegs)
Analgesia and broad spectrum antibiotics.
Im no expert but i may have added something previously not considered.
I wish you very well. It sounds daunting to me but also exciting. Good luck.

This is still in the pipeline. Got all the gear, lots of ideas, when Covid does one, I'm doing longterm and video diary!

Look forward to the diary jon 👍🏻

can’t really add much to what everyone has said, good information and I would agree with all 👍🏻

the only thing I would add is mental health and well-being, some folks have lost a few beans out the can when alone, if your like me and already have a few beans lost then it will be a breeze 😂

seriously tho, a good mind set would be beneficial 🤷🏼‍♂️

Look forward to the diary jon 👍🏻

can’t really add much to what everyone has said, good information and I would agree with all 👍🏻

the only thing I would add is mental health and well-being, some folks have lost a few beans out the can when alone, if your like me and already have a few beans lost then it will be a breeze 😂

seriously tho, a good mind set would be beneficial 🤷🏼‍♂️
Oh I'm not planning on being alone. Found a friend to tag along, we have similar dreams and aspirations, planning to work together to get there.

I hope your plans work out for you. Just out of interest, back in 2016 I spent 35 consecutive days in a small piece of woodland that I owned (still do) in Sussex. Daughter and granddaughter had gone travelling abroad so I knew I wasn't going to get people flapping whether the old boy was safe and sound.

My trip was never intended to be a full time escape, just a prolonged stay in the wood. I cheated, as I ferried in Ration Packs prior to setting up camp. Generally speaking 2 x 24 hours Rat packs will last me 3 days and I also took stuff like Nido powdered milk, Bacon Grill and various pasta stuff and soups by Knorr. As I say, it was never intended as a live off the land type exercise...and being a wimp it was August and first week in September.

DSCF4604.JPG

I'm a great fan of cheap kit...that works for me. My Eurohike tent that I've used for years. It's mixed woodland, a lot of Ash and Hornbeam and some Beech and Hazel too.
DSCF4615.JPG

There is a Medieval Well in the wood, the wood was once coppiced to feed the furnaces of the Sussex Iron masters with charcoal.
DSCF4741.JPG

The water is clear and cold even in Summer, but I always filter and then boil it before use. I've used it for years and never once suffered any ill effects.
DSCF4742.JPG

Water run through a good quality filter into a ready use Ortlieb bag.

Rat Pack beans and Sausages which is about the height of Sax's culinary skills..😊

DSCF4747.JPG

But to get back to your plans. I appreciate all woodlands vary in the Foraging opportunities they present, my wood is good for things like young Beech Leaves, Blackberries, Ramsons and Funghi (not for me though). I have a reasonable knowledge of available wild foods but I have to say I would have found it a real struggle to find wild food in sufficient quantities to live off comfortably, and I had access to ( Not owned) close to 300 acres and that was in August.

If you are able to grow perhaps root crops in reasonable quantities and preserve them, then life would be easier long term. Wild game is also a possibility.
I would have been sick of eating Venison if I had been in a survival situation..😊
DSCF4131.JPG

My time was 'Play time' really. 5 weeks of good weather, plenty of rations and enough wildlife and camp chores to keep me fully occupied, and I just love the isolation of being on my own. I was reluctant to return to every day life initially but then the weather broke and the Tea bags reached critically low levels, so I packed up and hauled my kit to the farm where I had left my transport

The experience was good but for me personally, I would definitely take a different approach to basic planning and other matters if I was going Off Grid permanently, but I wish you every success with your plans, Jon.

I hope your plans work out for you. Just out of interest, back in 2016 I spent 35 consecutive days in a small piece of woodland that I owned (still do) in Sussex. Daughter and granddaughter had gone travelling abroad so I knew I wasn't going to get people flapping whether the old boy was safe and sound.

My trip was never intended to be a full time escape, just a prolonged stay in the wood. I cheated, as I ferried in Ration Packs prior to setting up camp. Generally speaking 2 x 24 hours Rat packs will last me 3 days and I also took stuff like Nido powdered milk, Bacon Grill and various pasta stuff and soups by Knorr. As I say, it was never intended as a live off the land type exercise...and being a wimp it was August and first week in September.

View attachment 30023

I'm a great fan of cheap kit...that works for me. My Eurohike tent that I've used for years. It's mixed woodland, a lot of Ash and Hornbeam and some Beech and Hazel too.
View attachment 30024

There is a Medieval Well in the wood, the wood was once coppiced to feed the furnaces of the Sussex Iron masters with charcoal.
View attachment 30025

The water is clear and cold even in Summer, but I always filter and then boil it before use. I've used it for years and never once suffered any ill effects.
View attachment 30026

Water run through a good quality filter into a ready use Ortlieb bag.

Rat Pack beans and Sausages which is about the height of Sax's culinary skills..😊

View attachment 30027

But to get back to your plans. I appreciate all woodlands vary in the Foraging opportunities they present, my wood is good for things like young Beech Leaves, Blackberries, Ramsons and Funghi (not for me though). I have a reasonable knowledge of available wild foods but I have to say I would have found it a real struggle to find wild food in sufficient quantities to live off comfortably, and I had access to ( Not owned) close to 300 acres and that was in August.

If you are able to grow perhaps root crops in reasonable quantities and preserve them, then life would be easier long term. Wild game is also a possibility.
I would have been sick of eating Venison if I had been in a survival situation..😊
View attachment 30028

My time was 'Play time' really. 5 weeks of good weather, plenty of rations and enough wildlife and camp chores to keep me fully occupied, and I just love the isolation of being on my own. I was reluctant to return to every day life initially but then the weather broke and the Tea bags reached critically low levels, so I packed up and hauled my kit to the farm where I had left my transport

The experience was good but for me personally, I would definitely take a different approach to basic planning and other matters if I was going Off Grid permanently, but I wish you every success with your plans, Jon.
Sax

What a great experience! Having your own private woodland to camp in in UK must be a real priviledge...

And camping 35 days straight without external supply would be quite an achievement... I really enjoyed your pics and account of the camp. Your block looks very lovely, especially the old well and the deers... Fabulous.

Reminds me of when my wife and I first set up camp...

I'm really looking forward to read Jon's account of the off grid adventure! Sounds like he's planned well and taken sound advice...

Alan

Back