• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Aggressive dogs

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
I have a little walk I do about 4 times a week up a biggish hill to feed some Horses , just for the exercise and I go past a few Farms on the way, it looks like a new working dog is on the scene and not the friendliest of dogs, lots of barking and sneering of teeth which when on your own is not the most comforting I have meet this mutt a few times and i do not wish to find out how sharp those teeth are, Alsatian type dog quite young.

s-l1600.jpg

Anybody tried these? . I take my pepper spray with me at the moment would use if need be ( I am assume it would stop it , or piss i off even more!!)

Tried something similar to stop my dog barking, it worked to an extent, however after 5 days (not the longest trial) I stopped using it. Didn’t like the reaction she gave when I had it in my hand. Her ears went down and the tail went under her back legs. Not worth the silence imo😕 to be honest I think it would cause more problems for you, as the dog is obviously a guard dog and would relate seeing you to that noise ,in the dogs head this could make it personal between you , could cause the dog to become more aggressive towards you, take a different route or speak to the owner and explain what’s happening, this would allow the dog to accept you rather than see you as a threat 👍🏻

The thing is. 1) If it is a guard dog, the owner would be pretty pizzed off if it became friendly with anyone. 2) Can it actully get close enough to do any damage or is it restrained or the other side of a fence.
Finally, are you walking on the owners property or a public highway? if the latter, speak to the owner and ask the dog be kept off the public highway. Or if it's the former, find another route to avoid it, which would probably be the simplest solution to the problem in any case.

These deterrent type noise emitters can be counterproductive. You may just make the dog even more aggressive toward you as it learns to associate you with the irritation/pain caused by this device when you are actually in its terratory

I walk past the Farms entrance on a public road nothing stopping it all from going anywhere no fences no gates nothing , sometimes it's there sometimes not , I would happily chose a different route if there was one. One road up the hill nowt else.

Just don't wave at anyone after you've chosen option two....................... :poo:

AS it turns out a few dog biscuits and a scratch behind the ears and he seems a little less scary, did buy myself a dog pepper spray which i never wish to use.

Again illegal in UK just to own it, i will use only i last resort
P1020058.JPG

Attachments

• P1020058.JPG
    P1020058.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 104
Amazing stuff, I remember getting some in my eyes from a patient!!

Back