• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Air Arms S400 Anti Tamper

I don't believe that removing anti tamper and adjusting power should not be up for discussion on open forum. It may well be a legal grey area, but it shouldn't be. Who is ultimately responsible for legal output of an air weapon? The manufacturer! The RFD!:eek: NO!! That would be YOU the owner/user.:eek::eek::eek: The fact that manufacturers are failing to check the weapons leaving their premises are legal, does not make them culpable, when it bloody well should.:mad: It's the same for RFD's too.:mad: The responsibility ends with, YOU.:eek:

As the ultimate responsibility stops with us, the end users, it's down to us to make sure we stay legal. What a complete load of bollox that is too. We are responsible for the legality of our weapons, but we can't discuss openly how to remove AT to remain within the law. Sorry guys, but to me, that's just a bloody cop out. We should be openly and actively discussing how we stay legal, because at the end of the day, the buck stops with us. Sorry guys, I'm pissed again. Rant over.

I don't believe that removing anti tamper and adjusting power should not be up for discussion on open forum. It may well be a legal grey area, but it shouldn't be. Who is ultimately responsible for legal output of an air weapon? The manufacturer! The RFD!:eek: NO!! That would be YOU the owner/user.:eek::eek::eek: The fact that manufacturers are failing to check the weapons leaving their premises are legal, does not make them culpable, when it bloody well should.:mad: It's the same for RFD's too.:mad: The responsibility ends with, YOU.:eek:

As the ultimate responsibility stops with us, the end users, it's down to us to make sure we stay legal. What a complete load of bollox that is too. We are responsible for the legality of our weapons, but we can't discuss openly how to remove AT to remain within the law. Sorry guys, but to me, that's just a bloody cop out. We should be openly and actively discussing how we stay legal, because at the end of the day, the buck stops with us. Sorry guys, I'm pissed again. Rant over.
That's not a rant its a perfectly good argument and I don't believe that everybody removing the anti tamper is doing so because they want to shoot illegally over 16 joules . If manufacturers fit their rifles with anti tamper the least they could do is ensure its guaranteed to be legal when we pay good money for them . Although we will never know for sure if my mates involvement in a thread concerned with removing anti tamper was the cause of sudden police scrutiny of his rifles the timing would suggest it was . I agree that we should be able to talk openly in forum regarding anti tamper , my point was that in my mates case the thread didn't warrant the trouble that it brought him even though none of his rifles proved to be over the limit or even borderline . if a 8.44 gr pellet is giving us 11.5ftlb and we wish to use a heavy that throws the muzzle velocity over 16 joules we shouldn't have to take it up with a RFD to rectify it . atb Ricky

At the club I use two members bought brand new Air Arms HFT 500's. one chronoed at 8.3 ftlb the other was well over 13 ftlb (these are £900 rifles don't forget). This happened within the last month and both sorted at the RFD but quality control at the manufacturer is not to be trusted.

Whether we spend £150 on a new rifle, or £1500, we should have the confidence that the manufacturer has supplied us with a legally compliant weapon. There should be a body that could take legal action against any manufacturer failing to ensure compliant weapons.:eek: Until that happens manufacturers just won't give a feck about us.:mad:

I have read threads on the AAOC, and elsewhere, regarding Air Arms setting power limits on the low side, sub 10.5fpe (my own S510 was one of those). However, 8.3fpe is plain incompetence, but an over power weapon is simply inexcusable.:eek: Using my S510 as an example, once the AT was removed it really is quick and easy to adjust the power.:eek: My severe criticism of Air Arms, knowing how long it takes to tweak the power level, is that AA can't set the power within the legal limit, prior to installing the AT. If you are going to take the time to fit AT, for feck sake make sure the weapon is legal before doing so. It ain't rocket science for feck sake.:mad:

Hi there Grandadfatboy - any chance of sharing the PM? I have a S400 MPR running at 6ft.lb, with a shot count of 120. I would like to up to 11ft.lb at the expence of shot count.

Can you please include me, cheers---Mic
Welcome aboard. Why don't you take a moment to introduce yourself in the Welcome section?

FYI it's not very good form to join an airgun forum, then in your first post to ask how to increase the power of your air rifle, which could of course make the gun illegal. Stick around, join in and get to know people. That way, you might come across as trustworthy rather than dodgy.

Back