• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Air rifle novice - starter advice please

WolfsHead

Extremely Talkative
All this kerfuffle has led me to the point where the ability to stick a bit of meat on the table is reasonably desirable and we've said for a while we want to up the veg we provide ourselves with. I'm a pretty competent shot and have been taught firearm safety since I was a kid and have used quite a solid number of firearms of varying sorts over the years.

I know diddly squat about air rifles though, the ups downs ins and outs etc so if anyone can enlighten me or point me to reputable source id be grateful. What's the deal with licensing, recommend storage, what's a good quality entry level rifle, is it better to buy second hand and better quality than spend the same on a lesser quality new rifle if so from where (guntrader?), what's the best way to get started? Anything else I wont have thought of yet that you can recommend.

I'd only be looking at taking the odd pigeon and/or rabbit.

I can offer some answers with a few comments in no particular order. just advice in general really.

I'm sure you are aware that to kill Rabbits or Pigeons you will need somewhere that you have permission to shoot. Trespass with an air weapon is in fact dealt with under 'armed' trespass with a firearm..No big deal, just get permission , and keep the gun covered in a slip or something until you are on your permission.

Bunnies and Pigeons there are no 'seasons' so legitimate targets 12 months a year. Be aware other birds, game birds are protected at certain times, ie: seasonal.

There are long involved arguments about .177 or .22 and which is the better hunting calibre, I've used both and both have their pros and cons...really it's a personal choice..both are effective * within their limitations..and your's *

No licence is required in England or Wales, age restrictions on air weapons do apply though, and purchase is face to face from a shop/Dealer or via a Registered Firearms Dealership via Mail.

Gun safety.. the law requires that you take reasonable precautions. Keep the gun locked away out of sight both in a vehicle and at home. Do not leave a gun unattended for an unnecessary length of time in vehicle, even if it is locked.

Consider the ease with which you can get air bottles refilled in you go the PCP route, although you can use a hand pump to refill the PCP's.

I won't get involved in which is the best gun, too many personal opinions. My guns range from 60 year old BSA Meteor springers to a new PCP...they are all effective...within their own limitations

Hi Wolfs.

If it just for occasional use to provide a meal for the table a Spring rifle would do you just fine.
Easy to maintain and no expensive Bottles....whips etc to buy.
Suggestions would be.....HW95 or HW98 both good reliable choices.

I can offer some answers with a few comments in no particular order. just advice in general really.

I'm sure you are aware that to kill Rabbits or Pigeons you will need somewhere that you have permission to shoot. Trespass with an air weapon is in fact dealt with under 'armed' trespass with a firearm..No big deal, just get permission , and keep the gun covered in a slip or something until you are on your permission.

Bunnies and Pigeons there are no 'seasons' so legitimate targets 12 months a year. Be aware other birds, game birds are protected at certain times, ie: seasonal.

There are long involved arguments about .177 or .22 and which is the better hunting calibre, I've used both and both have their pros and cons...really it's a personal choice..both are effective * within their limitations..and your's *

No licence is required in England or Wales, age restrictions on air weapons do apply though, and purchase is face to face from a shop/Dealer or via a Registered Firearms Dealership via Mail.

Gun safety.. the law requires that you take reasonable precautions. Keep the gun locked away out of sight both in a vehicle and at home. Do not leave a gun unattended for an unnecessary length of time in vehicle, even if it is locked.

Consider the ease with which you can get air bottles refilled in you go the PCP route, although you can use a hand pump to refill the PCP's.

I won't get involved in which is the best gun, too many personal opinions. My guns range from 60 year old BSA Meteor springers to a new PCP...they are all effective...within their own limitations

It would be more an occasional use thing than concerted use. Mostly as the wife doesnt really like game so it would be occasional use to maintain the capability and because I love game foods. I'm happy on the seasonal aspect for most quarry, out of interest is it because they class as pests that oigeon and rabbit are year round? A couple of our preferred moves are literally next to farmers fields so it would be a case of introducing myself and asking politely. If they would mind me taking the odd bunny or birdy.

Ive no preference on calibre save to say I used to shoot a ruger .22 semi automatic when I was a teenager (also a lovely .44 lever action Marlin carbine with a red dot sight.)

Hi Wolfs.

If it just for occasional use to provide a meal for the table a Spring rifle would do you just fine.
Easy to maintain and no expensive Bottles....whips etc to buy.
Suggestions would be.....HW95 or HW98 both good reliable choices.
sorry ive kind of replied to you in the reply to saxonaxe as well.

Those are the weirrauch (sp?) Ive seen them recommended elsewhere.

Ruger Carbine 10/22? Yep, familiar with those..:D

Basically yes, to the Rabbits and Pigeons which are treated as agricultural pests. However...all birds and animals are also covered by laws which protect them from intentional cruelty, so any killing needs to be done with that in mind.
With your firearms experience I'm sure you appreciate that anyway....44? Marlin .44 Magnum is that? Good Deer round out to about 100 yards from a carbine, I understand.

If I may suggest? If you can offer anything in exchange for shooting permission, it is often the clinching factor. I had permission on a few farms in Sussex which I used to help out on. Fencing repairs was one of my 'trades' for permission, as well as the occasional bottle of Whisky as a thank you... :lol:

Willie's suggestion of the Weihraunch springers is good advice, a decent secondhand HW 95 or 98 will take anything a rifle 3 times the price will kill.

Ruger Carbine 10/22? Yep, familiar with those..:D

Basically yes, to the Rabbits and Pigeons which are treated as agricultural pests. However...all birds and animals are also covered by laws which protect them from intentional cruelty, so any killing needs to be done with that in mind.
With your firearms experience I'm sure you appreciate that anyway....44? Marlin .44 Magnum is that? Good Deer round out to about 100 yards from a carbine, I understand.

If I may suggest? If you can offer anything in exchange for shooting permission, it is often the clinching factor. I had permission on a few farms in Sussex which I used to help out on. Fencing repairs was one of my 'trades' for permission, as well as the occasional bottle of Whisky as a thank you... :lol:

Willie's suggestion of the Weihraunch springers is good advice, a decent secondhand HW 95 or 98 will take anything a rifle 3 times the price will kill.
All sounds good advice to me especially the exchange.

Apparently the ruger was .223 in fact

This is me 20 years ago with the Marlin and the ruger is in the background.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1584538068717.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584538068717.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 84
I'd say budget will play a part mate, same with most aspects of our lives. If it is just for the odd meal or plinking I wouldn't go too nuts, second hand could save you cash as suggested.

20 years ago.. then it was a proper Marlin...:lol:

I've got my anorak gun freak hat on....Marlin were bought out by Remington Outdoor Products about 2007/8.. Note the politically correct " Outdoor Products" not Remington Firearms anymore..It is a bunch of corporate 'Suits' who now own the old Remington name, they know little about firearms, only following trends and mass production. The last 'New' Marlin I examined was so badly finished I thought it was a factory reject....:lol:

That marlin was beautiful. The action on the lever was effortless. The ruger was really fun to use as well, virtually no recoil unlike the bipod mounted Lee Enfield .303 that isnt in the photo. That had a brass butt which hurt like hell if you fired from prone.

But I digress. Second hand seems like a wise option as for this to pass wifely approval it needs to be cost effective.

I'm assuming pellet choice even with a paricular calibre is still massively varied. Is there a preferred type for hunting small game?

Reactions: Bam
Domed pellets work well Wolf....... and are the most popular and widely used for hunting purposes.

Given the HWs are at the top end of the price range, both new and second hand there are cheaper options out there, especially if it’s for occasional use.

Given the HWs are at the top end of the price range, both new and second hand there are cheaper options out there, especially if it’s for occasional use.

Which ones have you shot and hunted with 38......can you offer Wolf an option to think about?

Being a newbie my self, Budget did set the standards of what i could get , as it is not just the rifle itself but also the scope , pellets, cleaning kits , target ETC ETC it all soon adds up, just got a new air pistol/rifle Hatsan supertact (see link on here )

I could not resist it.

Much prefer with a detachable stock could put it in my rucksack , however all shops in France are shut so I am stuck with open sights as I need an Offset scope mount

Which ones have you shot and hunted with 38......can you offer Wolf an option to think about?

I’d say pretty much any recent model set at around the legal limit. HW are top quality and retain high prices, I’ve got a BSA super sport which is perfectly good for the intended role as it’s slightly more expensive Lightning big brother. A well respected local gun shop recommends Hatsan and gamo products as capable and good value.

I’ve no experience of some of the cheaper Chinese options but have heard that some are worth the investment and some not.

I’d say pretty much any recent model set at around the legal limit. HW are top quality and retain high prices, I’ve got a BSA super sport which is perfectly good for the intended role as it’s slightly more expensive Lightning big brother. A well respected local gun shop recommends Hatsan and gamo products as capable and good value.

I’ve no experience of some of the cheaper Chinese options but have heard that some are worth the investment and some not.

The gamo varmint stalker has cropped up a few times and had a good review on the air rifle show on YouTube and is in the ball park of budget

It wont be for a little bit yet but at least I'm getting the proverbial into one sock for when I do.

Back