• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Air rifle novice - starter advice please

Speaking of cheap Chinese options, SMK are now assembled in the Uk and some of their guns can be picked up for as little as £30 second hand. It is then possible (with a little know how) to modify the hell out of them with aftermarket parts and make something that will easily give you ragged hole accuracy at 35 meters with enough stopping power for bunnies, squirrels or pigeons.

sorry ive kind of replied to you in the reply to saxonaxe as well.

Those are the weirrauch (sp?) Ive seen them recommended elsewhere.
Look at an HW 97.............
For rabbits, a springer can be a pain when stalking ( I do do use an Weihrauch HW97K, and its bloody good.....) single shot/can't remain "cocked", so a pcp can be useful, again Weihrauch make a beautiful one?

I’m a member of airgun BBS which has a for sales section with a variety of options showing typical prices:

Wembley Vulcan deluxe combo with scope and silencer 200
Tuner HW95k 250
BSA super sport 160
HW77k 250
HW80 180
AA tx200 275
HW 97 200
HW95 200

Weihrauch Are excellent quality and hold their value, there are definitely cheaper options.

It may bare repeating, but if hunting with a air rifle: please ....if rabbits and pigeons, recover and eat them...and
realise that you must not shoot to the body, it MUST be head to kill instantly, rabbits running 10x to die slowly below ground doesn't bare thinking about, nor pigeons flapping off to slowly die under a hedge elsewhere:(
I don't mean to sound "preachy", but unless it's a head shot you will not stop them instantly.
A very nice, reasonably stealthy way to put meat in the freezer, and keep pigeon numbers down (a bit!) :thumbsup:

There used to be a fabulous facility online called the Air Rifle Review, but alas that is no more, but some search engines may find it. It had a wealth of information unlike anywhere else I found on line?

I have resisted commenting until now. I agree with the recommendations so far but whilst springers are less hassle (no pump or air cylinder) I favour PCP rifles for accuracy and power. A nice BSA Ultra or Air Arms S200 are small, light and good value if you can find a reasonable second hand model. As for calibre I favour .177 for accuracy and flat trajectory. Plenty of power out to 45 yards.

PCPs are ace and weirdly there are some bargains to be had; my AA410 cost me £320 complete with scope silencer and pump so not that much more than a “quality” brand springer....

Last edited:
I have resisted commenting until now. I agree with the recommendations so far but whilst springers are less hassle (no pump or air cylinder) I favour PCP rifles for accuracy and power. A nice BSA Ultra or Air Arms S200 are small, light and good value if you can find a reasonable second hand model. As for calibre I favour .177 for accuracy and flat trajectory. Plenty of power out to 45 yards.
I would love an HW 100..........oh well :(

Wether you use spring or pcp. You should limit your range to the distance you can shoot a 1 inch group . 12ftlb rifles will take quarry out to 45yds but you need to put the shot in the head. So practice is key.

Wether you use spring or pcp. You should limit your range to the distance you can shoot a 1 inch group . 12ftlb rifles will take quarry out to 45yds but you need to put the shot in the head. So practice is key.
Absolutely agree. It's not just a moral obligation, it is also a legal obligation not to cause unnecessary suffering. Having said that the ability to put meat on your table in the form of pigeon or rabbit is quite liberating.

Completely agree. As I've said before that ethic is why I don't 'work' my lurcher as I believe he just isn't reliable enough like that to simply take and return prey without unnecessary suffering. Which is a shame as he'd be bloody ideal right now if he was.

You may want to consider a range finder. These can be invaluable, as knowing your range means you can use the right setting/mill dot on your scope for that range.

A cheaper option and a good skill is to practice judging distance; measure out 10 metres, count out how many normal paces that equates to and then when out for your daily walk estimate distances to the next bush/tree/lamp post and pace it out. You’ll be amazed how quickly you will pick it up and it’s quite entertaining. Then learn your holdover at set ranges or use the chairgun app to do it for you.

Back