• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Air weapons licence, rifle and gun cabinet?

FYI here's the message from my mate.
Any thoughts on this guys?

"Don’t want to sound snobbish, but don’t get a stoeger!! Trigger will be pish, internals will be pish, ability to tune with good parts pish. You will end up punting it or discarding at the back of a cupboard until a better ones comes up.

I have that ProSport that’s going for £250. Around that price bracket (250 to 300), ones to look out for HW.

I would look at 2nd hand Pro sport, and TX200 for AA. Great trigger, plenty of after market stuff if you want to tune, accurate as you like. Generally best out of box rifles out there.

Other alternative is weihrauch. In general out of the box, these are twangy, but most 2nd hand one will have had work done. Great triggers and accurate.

HW95 and 98 in break barrel (HW99 is great in .22 but to lively in .177 without good tuning) HW97 HW77 in underlever.

Walther have some offerings, but everyone I have tried the trigger was pish.

Scope wise – If you don’t mind mildot or high mag, few of the boys swear by these
Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot Rifle Scope - Optics Warehouse

For HFT. Great depth of field.

My fall back scope is this *Hawke Vantage Max 4-12X40 AO 10X 1/2 Mil Dot Rifle Scope #14285 5054492142859 | eBay

Livelines 2nd hand page
https://www.airgundealerscotland.co.uk/2nd-hand-guns---special-offers.html
"
Pity I didn't know you might of liked an HW, I was offered an HW35 mint in box for £150 over the weekend...fired twice (it shot nicely), once by me and once by the guy that was selling. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I'm supposed to be shedding guns.
My aim is to end up with only the 22lr and one good PCP. rifle.

I would go for what 1 shot Willie says (I use an HW97), Prosport, and Air Arms, excellent, Walther make an excellent rifle, Weihrauch HW97, But I always think break barrels have a potential weakness in that breaking barrel, which is why I would prefer an under lever or side lever (Diana...very heavy?)if going the springer route...……..

I missed the bit about underlever cocking being a bit naff??????????o_Oo_O

I agree about the weight on the TX and prosport. I have had Weirauch and while they have a reasonable following I found them heavy and not the quality they claim. I did like a Weirauch HE35 I had for a while which had been worked on. BSA lightning are very "twitchy" which is why I bought the Throne with has ram instead of a spring. I am finding out how much my pal wants for a Webley he has but I think it is a.22. I would recommend.177 for hft and target work as it has a flatter trajectory. Still ok for rats and rabbits.

[QUOTE="divebuddy, post: 287100, member: I would recommend.177 for hft and target work as it has a flatter trajectory. Still ok for rats and rabbits.
[/QUOTE]
+1....although I shoot a 22, as divebuddy says, 100%

FYI here's the message from my mate.
Any thoughts on this guys?

"Don’t want to sound snobbish, but don’t get a stoeger!! Trigger will be pish, internals will be pish, ability to tune with good parts pish. You will end up punting it or discarding at the back of a cupboard until a better ones comes up.

I have that ProSport that’s going for £250. Around that price bracket (250 to 300), ones to look out for HW.

I would look at 2nd hand Pro sport, and TX200 for AA. Great trigger, plenty of after market stuff if you want to tune, accurate as you like. Generally best out of box rifles out there.

Other alternative is weihrauch. In general out of the box, these are twangy, but most 2nd hand one will have had work done. Great triggers and accurate.

HW95 and 98 in break barrel (HW99 is great in .22 but to lively in .177 without good tuning) HW97 HW77 in underlever.

Walther have some offerings, but everyone I have tried the trigger was pish.

Scope wise – If you don’t mind mildot or high mag, few of the boys swear by these
Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO Mil Dot Rifle Scope - Optics Warehouse

For HFT. Great depth of field.

My fall back scope is this *Hawke Vantage Max 4-12X40 AO 10X 1/2 Mil Dot Rifle Scope #14285 5054492142859 | eBay

Livelines 2nd hand page
https://www.airgundealerscotland.co.uk/2nd-hand-guns---special-offers.html
"

A would agree to that buddy.....

For scopes check out JSR who do some great deals; I’ve seen people happy with stoegers and people unhappy with much more expensive HW and AA products; there is a lot of snobbishness in the world of air rifles, partly in my opinion based on people trying to protect the investment they have made (and notably your mate IS selling one of the options he recommended😇)

I live near a very good gun shop and they are fans of stoeger products as well as the more expensive HW and AA brands; they have commented that they have about an equal level of issues with both.

I had a go with the ProSport yesterday and liked it. Took down a good few HFT targets. I was up at the ARC which I'll join but only got to shoot for about 20 mins as my missus called to say there was smoke coming out of the washing machine! I just hope the thing is a cheap fix and doesn't put the shooter in jeopardy!

I had a go with the ProSport yesterday and liked it. Took down a good few HFT targets. I was up at the ARC which I'll join but only got to shoot for about 20 mins as my missus called to say there was smoke coming out of the washing machine! I just hope the thing is a cheap fix and doesn't put the shooter in jeopardy!
You weren't supposed to be shooting at the bloody washing machine Paul:eek:

@G1ZmO

Sounds like you had a good time shooting the Pro Sport Paul.
How did you find the weight and cocking action of the rifle?
Do you think Mel and Daniel will get on with it?

Fingers crossed for you re the washing machine and hope its a quick fix.

I actually think that the cocking of the rifle would be easier for them both though it was pointed out to me that, a few times, I had failed to cock it until the safety button popped out. I'd need to drum that into all of us. Wouldn't want to be loading a pellet while unsafe!

Daniel is certainly a lot bigger than he was last year and never complains about carrying his airsoft sniper rifle (plus pistol, mags, gas, BBs, etc) around for 6 or 7 hours. The ProSport is actually slightly lighter than the airsoft rifle anyway.

My main issue is the amount this is going to cost initially.
£72 for licence (for 5 years)
£50 for annual club membership (me)
£30 for annual club membership (Daniel)
£68 for cabinet (cheapest new one I've seen)
£50 for annual insurance (estimate)
Pellets, bag, blah, blah, blah

and, of course, the one-off cost of the rifle and scope. Phew!

Whoop! My licence just arrived today and I'm now the owner of an Air Arms Pro Sport and MTC Optisan scope.
Already bought a cabinet, pellets and a wee pellet holder. Next things to pay for are AR club membership, insurance and a shooting mat.
Bleeding money I tell ya!

Have you come across these for pellets?
Quiet, easy to access the pellet and a thing of beauty...….

Yes i have the large one. well made but if you fill it up to much and don't clip it shut when you stand up you might find you loose a few

I just get those large cotton change bags from the bank for keeping pellets as I walk around.. They act as a pocket liner. I also use them for .22lr bullets.

Reactions: Bam
Back