• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alcohol stove Advice needed

No not gone for it. Leaving it for now need a dehydrator more. I only get 20 quid a fortnight pocket money, life swallows all else.

I'm on a budget too, unfortunately I've also got an Amazon/Ebay account and a penchant for a cup of loud mouth soup or two. On the brightside, I've got a few bits of shiny shiny I didn't expect. :)

Throw them away.....buy a nice fold away fire pit..wood don’t leak :lol:

Am not a big fan of them burners or gas burners....that could be a little ignorance on my par right enough lol.
They work fine if you want something in a hurry Mark and your not always going to find dry wood

They work fine if you want something in a hurry Mark and your not always going to find dry wood
Actually Mark there is dry wood if you know what your doing, find a good log and batton of about 2 inches all round of the outside, the exposed inner wood should be dry

Actually Mark there is dry wood if you know what your doing, find a good log and batton of about 2 inches all round of the outside, the exposed inner wood should be dry

A would need to get out the house to do that lol but that’s a different topic lol

Them burners are probably great to use... I haven’t used one so maybe I should! And the judge it.

I've got to admit that I'm happy with the Trangia UL25 that I got from Jon, I got a Trangia spirit burner and kettle from a firm called little mountain outdoors (very reasonable and nice to do business with) and a Kelly kettle on its way in the post.... I'm all set now, I can ask no more from life.

A would need to get out the house to do that lol but that’s a different topic lol

Them burners are probably great to use... I haven’t used one so maybe I should! And the judge it.

@Ark79

A gas or spirit burner is handy if no fires are allowed or you are stealth camping Mark :thumbsup:
Also good for that first early morning brew under the tarp or in the open vestibule of the tent (with care)..... if its pouring with rain/snow outside of your shelter.
If you do think of getting one later.....the Trangia UL25 is definitely worth a look and will serve you for many years in practically any situation.
Everything you will need in one fairly small and light weight package:thumbsup:

Just my thoughts........it is worth the extra bucks to go for the non stick........but not essential.

@Ark79

A gas or spirit burner is handy if no fires are allowed or you are stealth camping Mark :thumbsup:
Also good for that first early morning brew under the tarp or in the open vestibule of the tent (with care)..... if its pouring with rain/snow outside of your shelter.
If you do think of getting one later.....the Trangia UL25 is definitely worth a look and will serve you for many years in practically any situation.
Everything you will need in one fairly small and light weight package:thumbsup:

Just my thoughts........it is worth the extra bucks to go for the non stick........but not essential.

A probably will get round to getting one mate.....av got a long list of things to get through :rofl: Av watched a few vid on them...and they do seem really handy for what you’ve mentioned:thumbsup: especially first thing in the morning lol no faffing about with lighting a fire with wood. Wet or dry lol.

Will get you up and running Ark

I love Trangia's, I have several including the UL version but for some reason the standard aluminium is my set of choice.

If you rely on using only wood as fuel you are limiting yourself as to where you can camp because in a lot of parts of the UK there is no wood to use. You miss the beauty of open moorland/hills and mountains. Woodland camping is nice but at times restrictive.

Gel fuel is Devil paste. That said I was given an old stove that came with a Tube of Optimus lighting paste, like a toothpaste tube and you'd use the paste to prime the stove. Its in a box somewhere, its unopened and over 50 years old so I'll keep it.

Brambling, I sometimes use meths, sometimes pure Methanol but mainly pure Ethanol and try not to sniff fumes :) At the moment all I have is a bottle of meths and about 3l of Ethanol...need to stock up.

Gel fuel is Devil paste. That said I was given an old stove that came with a Tube of Optimus lighting paste, like a toothpaste tube and you'd use the paste to prime the stove. Its in a box somewhere, its unopened and over 50 years old so I'll keep it.

Brambling, I sometimes use meths, sometimes pure Methanol but mainly pure Ethanol and try not to sniff fumes :) At the moment all I have is a bottle of meths and about 3l of Ethanol...need to stock up.

For me it has its place, Brambling gave me some to try and for places like bothies its fine and nice and simple so I've no problem with it. Its not my go to though, at the moment I'm on a meths kick, I daresay I'll be on gas or back to my Coleman dual fuel in 6 months, I'm a bit of a slut like that. A tin of gel fuel is up there with a hexi stove as a back up for me though.

Back