• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alcohol stove Advice needed

I'll be using my new Lixada woodgas stove mainly, but for quick cuppa or as a backup they are ideal. Just think i have been unlucky with my experience so far. Stupid question but does the type of fuel matter? Been using standard petrol do I need the high octane one instead?

Will get you up and running Ark

I love Trangia's, I have several including the UL version but for some reason the standard aluminium is my set of choice.

If you rely on using only wood as fuel you are limiting yourself as to where you can camp because in a lot of parts of the UK there is no wood to use. You miss the beauty of open moorland/hills and mountains. Woodland camping is nice but at times restrictive.

True harry.. makes sense to have more choices :thumbsup:

Unleaded petrol =
Stinks when you spill any, smell lingers
The additives in the fuel gunk up your stove or lantern and will clog them.

Panel Wipe =
Very clean fuel
Smell from any spill goes instantly
Burns clean in your stove or lantern like Coleman fuel
No petrol smell when using your stove or lantern

Another option is Aspen fuel, 4T. Postage is expensive so look for a local supplier. Its an Alkylate petrol, extremely clean and often used in chain saws outboard motors etc. Don't get the 2T as this is for two stroke engines.

I used Panel Wipe for years but 4T has been my choice of fuel for a good while now (note to self: I need to restock)

Unleaded petrol =
Stinks when you spill any, smell lingers
The additives in the fuel gunk up your stove or lantern and will clog them.

Panel Wipe =
Very clean fuel
Smell from any spill goes instantly
Burns clean in your stove or lantern like Coleman fuel
No petrol smell when using your stove or lantern

Another option is Aspen fuel, 4T. Postage is expensive so look for a local supplier. Its an Alkylate petrol, extremely clean and often used in chain saws outboard motors etc. Don't get the 2T as this is for two stroke engines.

I used Panel Wipe for years but 4T has been my choice of fuel for a good while now (note to self: I need to restock)
Sorry @Harry Palmer , I was taking the mickey using petrol in a meths burner. But im guessing no one noticed or its possible to use it in a meths burner? ( even if it is I WON'T be trying!!) I use lab grade isopropyl alcohol. I get it here

Thanks Harry, I'll look into that. I've just been using Coleman fuel in it.

Coleman fuel is ideal too but so bloody expensive :(

Aye, that is the downside of it right enough. I think it was one of the reasons I stopped using it so much, that and just being a bit of a kit tart. :rolleyes:

Back