• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Alexa and Siri really have been listening to you

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
"The Data Protection Commission is engaging with both Google and Apple to establish further details on the processing of personal data in the context of the manual transcription of audio recordings collected by these companies' digital assistants, and to establish how the companies concerned believe that such processing of data is compliant with their GDPR [General Data Protection Regulation] obligations, further to which we will be making our assessments and conclusions," a spokeswoman told the BBC.

"We note that both companies have ceased this processing, Google from mid-July and Apple in recent days."

The fact that they've been paying people to listen to and transcribe information that was not intended for them is a gross invasion of privacy. Absolutely inexcusable behaviour on the part of two multi national tech giants, it does make you wonder just how far this goes.

I believe a lot of the problems with these things is the very act of purchasing them you automatically sign away all your rights and agree to anything they (Amazon and Google) think they might want or need. much the same with some Smart TV's with voice activation, Samsung I believe.
Now I'm a boring old fartess with nothing to hide, but I still wouldn't give one houseroom as I like my privacy.

The odds of YOU being listened to must run into the millions to one. I've not felt the need for these devices yet, not to say I won't in the future. I love technology but some things are just not for me.

Did you know you can buy directional microphones that can listen to you even through double glazing, how cool is that :cool:

I’ve got an amazon Alexa and I love it; no ones knocked my front door down to arrest me nor has it ordered me any spurious deliveries of stuff I don’t need or want.

As others have hinted the issue of companies having the ABILITY to harvest info is in some ways reduced by the huge quantities they end up having to process.

Reactions: Bam
The odds of YOU being listened to must run into the millions to one.
The odds of ME being listened to in this way are far greater than millions to one, there is zero chance as I don't have Alexa and have disabled Siri on both devices that support it. (My tinfoil hat stops them spying on me with rays. 😆)

The odds of ME being listened to in this way are far greater than millions to one, there is zero chance as I don't have Alexa and have disabled Siri on both devices that support it. (My tinfoil hat stops them spying on me with rays. 😆)
Personally I don't give a crap who listens to me, spies on me or reports me to some obscure government department because my conscience is clear and I've got nothing to hide

No Siri or Alexa at Casa Bam but I can talk to my Sky Q box and it does stuff. Should I be worried ?????

Da man might find out I'm partial to some pretty gash telly. :lol:

No Siri or Alexa at Casa Bam but I can talk to my Sky Q box and it does stuff. Should I be worried ?????

Da man might find out I'm partial to some pretty gash telly. :lol:

When DVR first came out one of my SNCO bought one whilst his wife was away; a month later it had learnt his viewing habits and “series recorded” programs he might like. This resulted in an amazing quite from his wife that “even the video thinks you’re a pervert......”

When DVR first came out one of my SNCO bought one whilst his wife was away; a month later it had learnt his viewing habits and “series recorded” programs he might like. This resulted in an amazing quite from his wife that “even the video thinks you’re a pervert......”

Nothing wrong with being a pervert. So I heard anyway. :whistle:

I'm shocked mate, I would never have had you down as an Apple user :eek: ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Bam

Not everybody is this honest, start getting card details and one day your bank account is emptied!

The good thing about cards is that if your scammed the odds are well in your favor for a refund.

Back