• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hunter Gatherer All About Flintlocks. Part Eleven. Carrying Gunpowder.

Keith

Very Addicted
The traditional method of carrying gunpowder is to use a powder horn, & in my opinion this is still the best method. The base plug in a powder horn should NEVER be glued to secure it in the horn. This base plug is a safety release should the horn explode. The base plug blows out & releases the pressure. This base plug is sealed with beeswax only, & secured with only 4-6 metal or wooden pins.
POWDER_HORN_003_REDUCED.jpg

Powder_Horn_007_REDUCED.jpg
Powder_Horn_008_REDUCED.jpg

For carrying extra gunpowder I use a greased leather gunpowder wallet or gunpowder bag. The use of a gunpowder bag is traditional, & if a bag becomes empty, it is used to store plant or fungi tinders.
Gunpowder_Bag_2_Reduced.jpg
This is one of five gunpowder bags that I have made for carrying extra supplies in my knapsack for long term wilderness living.
Keith.